Athlon Shim. Conductive or not conductive?

G

I was wondering if anyone knows if its better to have a conductive or not conductive shim for a CPU. I have seen both out there, but there isint ever anything said about them
The 2 different ones I have seen, where a copper shim and an aluminum shim with some non-conductive coat on it.

Does anyone know?

R_E

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well one would think that a nonconductive shim is better, but it really only matters if is extreemly poorly designed or put on in such a way that the bridges are covered.... given the way that they are laser cut, i think thats HIGHLY unlikely.

i dont even use a shim... though i have got one.
the instructions for my mcx-462 reccomened i not use one.

Overclocked athlon 1200C @ 8.5 x 166FSB + PC2700 = GOOD! :smile:

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't think CPU needs it. I have not seen its benefit other than disaster of crushing CPU's core.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
indeed, and core crushing can be eliminated by buying a HSF with a decent clip/mounting mechanism and using one's brain when attaching it.

MCX-462 + no shim + brains = no crushed core.

Overclocked athlon 1200C @ 8.5 x 166FSB + PC2700 = GOOD! :smile:

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Personally, I wouldn't use one. If you don't get it on right you can crack the core and I've heard that a shim can sometimes prevent good contact between the HSF and the core. If you're careful when you put your HSF on you should be okay without one.

If you're dead set on using one, though, I'd use a nonconductive one just to avoid any potential problems.

<i>I made you look. But I can't make you see.</i>

G

Thnanks for that advice. I now would agree with you

Thanks to eveyone else for your comments,

To compare, I would much prefer having proper contact with the core and be careful RatheR then, to not be so careful, still take a chance of cracking the core, and possible not have proper contact with the core to begin with. That would sort of defeat the purpose of having a hsf. In turn defeat the purpose of having a shim. I think I'll live without one

thanks again everyone for your comments,

R_E