texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
I have it on good authority (dont ask) that AMD and Microsoft are talking. What about? Well as you know the Hammer will execute 64 bit instruction. But it also requires an OS capable of executing 64 bit. Microsoft already collaborated with Intel on Itanium. As a result there were two OSs released for 64 bit and Itanium. Windows XP 64 bit and some other crap I forget the name of.
With AMD releasing their own 64 bit chip, it makes sense for Microsoft to get in bed with AMD on an OS. The Hammer will be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than Intanium. Therefore Microsoft stands to make more money off Hammer than they ever did with Itanium.
Im not saying Microsoft will make a new OS, probably just tweak some things.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i thought that amd & intels 64 bit were vastly different... amd being a 32 bit extension, while itanium uses very long instruciton set.

doubt that win 64 would be easily modified...
be interesting to see though.

Overclocked athlon 1200C @ 8.5 x 166FSB + PC2700 = GOOD! :smile:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Being a 64-bit x86, can't Microsoft make special 64-bit extensions for the 32-bit WinXP like they did way back in Win3.1? What was it called again? Win32s?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

eden

Champion
Then why does WinXP's core say it is 64-bit? Unless I am looking at some other things, I'm still confused about bits other than core...

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

TRENDING THREADS