WHat makes Desktop better than Laptop/Notebook?

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b D Laptop
October 14, 2004 2:23:23 PM

Hi

I am wondering since I have got the notebook version of the newest XPS. What
makes a desktop better (in performance)? Or isnt it better? Do they both have
the same processor or simply not for one reason or another. The Laptop model I
got is the highest possible settings. Best there is. But I wonder if I would go
with which desktop (from the Dell family) would it be better performance? In
other words, Am I losing speed and reliaility with a loptop vs. a desktop?

Thanks,
Sussan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 14, 2004 2:23:24 PM

On 14 Oct 2004 10:23:23 GMT, EsFeS wrote in

> Hi
>
> I am wondering since I have got the notebook version of the newest XPS. What
> makes a desktop better (in performance)? Or isnt it better? Do they both have
> the same processor or simply not for one reason or another. The Laptop model I
> got is the highest possible settings. Best there is. But I wonder if I would go
> with which desktop (from the Dell family) would it be better performance? In
> other words, Am I losing speed and reliaility with a loptop vs. a desktop?

In my opinion, with a laptop you lose a lot of the ability to upgrade as
easily as you can with a desktop. While a laptop might seem like a really
good deal now, in a year when the software (games) are needing the next
best graphics card you'll be stuck trying to upgrade your laptop and paying
a lot more than the folks with a desktop who just pull the old and put in
the new (hopefully!).

Then there is the heat issue. To me a laptop isn't really a good
substitute for a desktop for game playing. It's built with very little
space inside for air flow so you end up with a fan almost as loud as the
speakers. At least on the two laptops I own, which admittedly, are
somewhat old. One is a 380MHz Compaq and the other is a 1.0GHz Compaq both
of which have performed *flawlessly* while I've had them to include a seven
month "trip" to Kosovo for the 380MHz one. :-)

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 14, 2004 4:07:24 PM

esfes@aol.com (EsFeS) wrote:

>I am wondering since I have got the notebook version of the newest XPS. What
>makes a desktop better (in performance)? Or isnt it better? Do they both have
>the same processor or simply not for one reason or another. The Laptop model I
>got is the highest possible settings. Best there is. But I wonder if I would go
>with which desktop (from the Dell family) would it be better performance? In
>other words, Am I losing speed and reliaility with a loptop vs. a desktop?
>
>Thanks,
> Sussan

Pointless question, Sussan, since, by definition, laptops are a
compromise computer, whose purveyors have to select components
that will a) fit in a laptop case, b) use the least amount of
battery power possible, c) add the least weight to the laptop
possible, to best meet the needs of their target audience - the
infamous "road warrior", who has to be able to do his/her
computing during endless airport waits, in client offices without
docking stations, etc. He/she *wants* a laptop that does
everything, weighs less than 1 lb, and has a battery life of 12
hours. He/she never gets it.

Without those constraints, one can get virtually anything you
want, performance-wise, into a desktop chassis. If you want to
pay for it.

What you have to compare is what *you* want to use the computer
for, prioritized among your desires so that you can make
trade-off decisions, and then decide what components best meet
your needs. Then you see if a laptop is available to meet your
needs, or if you have to go to a desktop to get the performance
that *you* absolutely cannot live without.
--
OJ III
October 14, 2004 4:07:25 PM

Ive never been a big fan of laptop computers for very
reasons cited here. Like desktops much better

My "thoughts" are that Id get a solid state PocketPC
and use it in conjunction with a desktop for total
computing needs..... rather than a laptop
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 14, 2004 5:32:11 PM

Good post OJ, but don't ever again criticize me about being too literary.
{;->
--
Ted Zieglar

"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> esfes@aol.com (EsFeS) wrote:
>

> >I am wondering since I have got the notebook version of the newest XPS.
What
> >makes a desktop better (in performance)? Or isnt it better? Do they both
have
> >the same processor or simply not for one reason or another. The Laptop
model I
> >got is the highest possible settings. Best there is. But I wonder if I
would go
> >with which desktop (from the Dell family) would it be better performance?
In
> >other words, Am I losing speed and reliaility with a loptop vs. a
desktop?

> >Thanks,
> > Sussan
>
> Pointless question, Sussan, since, by definition, laptops are a
> compromise computer, whose purveyors have to select components
> that will a) fit in a laptop case, b) use the least amount of
> battery power possible, c) add the least weight to the laptop
> possible, to best meet the needs of their target audience - the
> infamous "road warrior", who has to be able to do his/her
> computing during endless airport waits, in client offices without
> docking stations, etc. He/she *wants* a laptop that does
> everything, weighs less than 1 lb, and has a battery life of 12
> hours. He/she never gets it.
>
> Without those constraints, one can get virtually anything you
> want, performance-wise, into a desktop chassis. If you want to
> pay for it.
>
> What you have to compare is what *you* want to use the computer
> for, prioritized among your desires so that you can make
> trade-off decisions, and then decide what components best meet
> your needs. Then you see if a laptop is available to meet your
> needs, or if you have to go to a desktop to get the performance
> that *you* absolutely cannot live without.
> --
> OJ III
> [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 14, 2004 10:31:31 PM

"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

>Good post OJ, but don't ever again criticize me about being too literary.
>{;->

I plead extenuating circumstances. Last night was a bachelor
party [staid kind - lotta drinking but no strippers :-(], and I
was still hungover - erm, mebbe still drunk [that was /good/
Irish and an o-dark-hundred return - thank ghods I've got the
rest of the week off], so I'm blaming the whisky for the blarney
in that post.

[The groom gets to go to the rehearsal dinner tonight, I don't;
which gives me the time {sorely needed at my age} to recover by
the wedding, and more importantly the reception, Saturday.]
--
OJ III