WHat makes Desktop better than Laptop/Notebook?

Hi

I am wondering since I have got the notebook version of the newest XPS. What
makes a desktop better (in performance)? Or isnt it better? Do they both have
the same processor or simply not for one reason or another. The Laptop model I
got is the highest possible settings. Best there is. But I wonder if I would go
with which desktop (from the Dell family) would it be better performance? In
other words, Am I losing speed and reliaility with a loptop vs. a desktop?

Thanks,
Sussan
5 answers Last reply
More about what makes desktop laptop notebook

    On 14 Oct 2004 10:23:23 GMT, EsFeS wrote in

    > Hi
    >
    > I am wondering since I have got the notebook version of the newest XPS. What
    > makes a desktop better (in performance)? Or isnt it better? Do they both have
    > the same processor or simply not for one reason or another. The Laptop model I
    > got is the highest possible settings. Best there is. But I wonder if I would go
    > with which desktop (from the Dell family) would it be better performance? In
    > other words, Am I losing speed and reliaility with a loptop vs. a desktop?

    In my opinion, with a laptop you lose a lot of the ability to upgrade as
    easily as you can with a desktop. While a laptop might seem like a really
    good deal now, in a year when the software (games) are needing the next
    best graphics card you'll be stuck trying to upgrade your laptop and paying
    a lot more than the folks with a desktop who just pull the old and put in
    the new (hopefully!).

    Then there is the heat issue. To me a laptop isn't really a good
    substitute for a desktop for game playing. It's built with very little
    space inside for air flow so you end up with a fan almost as loud as the
    speakers. At least on the two laptops I own, which admittedly, are
    somewhat old. One is a 380MHz Compaq and the other is a 1.0GHz Compaq both
    of which have performed *flawlessly* while I've had them to include a seven
    month "trip" to Kosovo for the 380MHz one. :-)

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    esfes@aol.com (EsFeS) wrote:

    >I am wondering since I have got the notebook version of the newest XPS. What
    >makes a desktop better (in performance)? Or isnt it better? Do they both have
    >the same processor or simply not for one reason or another. The Laptop model I
    >got is the highest possible settings. Best there is. But I wonder if I would go
    >with which desktop (from the Dell family) would it be better performance? In
    >other words, Am I losing speed and reliaility with a loptop vs. a desktop?
    >
    >Thanks,
    > Sussan

    Pointless question, Sussan, since, by definition, laptops are a
    compromise computer, whose purveyors have to select components
    that will a) fit in a laptop case, b) use the least amount of
    battery power possible, c) add the least weight to the laptop
    possible, to best meet the needs of their target audience - the
    infamous "road warrior", who has to be able to do his/her
    computing during endless airport waits, in client offices without
    docking stations, etc. He/she *wants* a laptop that does
    everything, weighs less than 1 lb, and has a battery life of 12
    hours. He/she never gets it.

    Without those constraints, one can get virtually anything you
    want, performance-wise, into a desktop chassis. If you want to
    pay for it.

    What you have to compare is what *you* want to use the computer
    for, prioritized among your desires so that you can make
    trade-off decisions, and then decide what components best meet
    your needs. Then you see if a laptop is available to meet your
    needs, or if you have to go to a desktop to get the performance
    that *you* absolutely cannot live without.
    --
    OJ III

    Ive never been a big fan of laptop computers for very
    reasons cited here. Like desktops much better

    My "thoughts" are that Id get a solid state PocketPC
    and use it in conjunction with a desktop for total
    computing needs..... rather than a laptop

    Good post OJ, but don't ever again criticize me about being too literary.
    {;->
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

    >Good post OJ, but don't ever again criticize me about being too literary.
    >{;->

    I plead extenuating circumstances. Last night was a bachelor
    party [staid kind - lotta drinking but no strippers :-(], and I
    was still hungover - erm, mebbe still drunk [that was /good/
    Irish and an o-dark-hundred return - thank ghods I've got the
    rest of the week off], so I'm blaming the whisky for the blarney
    in that post.

    [The groom gets to go to the rehearsal dinner tonight, I don't;
    which gives me the time {sorely needed at my age} to recover by
    the wedding, and more importantly the reception, Saturday.]
    --
    OJ III

Dell Laptops Performance Desktops Notebooks Computers