Sign in with
Your question

PC Locking UP while surfing..opinions needed.

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 11, 2002 12:06:37 AM

I am currently using sbc global.net broad band.(DSL) With the enternet 300 software..

At first i was using my router...then i noticed while going to certain sites my pc would make a lil click sound then completely lock up.(IT DOES HAPPEN RANDOMLY...SAME SITES LOCK UP MY SYSTEM ALL THE TIME...AND I FIND NEW ONES EVERY SO OFTEN) I can't download the latest win98SE critical patch because my pc locks up while its downloading. I was on windows 2000 then windows Xp now Windows98SE and still the same problem. Ive heard it might be a problem with my nic card...i'm using a kingston NIC came with my DSL modem from sbc. I tried removing my router & installing enternet300 on my computer and connecting that way with PPPOE .. but stillll same locking up problems...it doesn't happen often..but happens enough to get under my skin...what steps should i take to solving this problem? could my NIC card really be the root of this.?

respectfully,
David.

oh yea...some of you might remember me from about 6 months ago..you guys helped me build my first PC.. :)  thanks.

System Specs:
-Amd Athlon T-bird 1.4ghz
-Abit KG7 RAID
-60GB Barracuda Seaggate ata ultra-100
-512 DDR Sdram from crucial
-SB Audigy Gamer-X
-450W Enermax

there you have it.

rcf84 can I have your autograph?
February 11, 2002 12:18:33 AM

Do these websites have anything in common? Java? Midis playing in the background?

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
February 11, 2002 12:20:01 AM

Quote:
then i noticed while going to certain sites my pc would make a lil click sound then completely lock up.(IT DOES HAPPEN RANDOMLY...SAME SITES LOCK UP MY SYSTEM ALL THE TIME...AND I FIND NEW ONES EVERY SO OFTEN)

Does it only happen when you're surfing internet? Because it sounds like your HD is dying (happened to me once few years ago with my old IBM ATA66 13G).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
Related resources
February 11, 2002 4:18:42 AM

Different hardware configuration but it sounds like the same symptoms I once had. Try disabling Smooth Scrolling in Internet Explorer. Tools> Intenet Options> Advanced. Uncheck Smooth Scrolling.

Worked like a charm for me. I thought it was interesting that the the two sites that were consistantly causing the crashes for me were Microsoft's website and Hotmail (run by Microsoft) and the cure was adjusting one of Microsoft's applications.

The problem never came back after I later upgraded from IE 5.0x to 5.5 to 6.0 but I've kept Smooth Scrolling disabled ever since.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 11, 2002 4:26:06 AM

You might try lowering display settings to 16 bit as well, has worked for some combinations that I have seen.

Working on computers is what you do when you get tired of glowing in the dark.
February 11, 2002 6:32:16 AM

yes only while surfing..so i doubt its my HD. im gonna take of smooth scrolling and reduce my bits from 32 to 16..hopefully that'll do the trick..thanks alot for the replies..i can always count on the "tomshardware" community. :) 

rcf84 can I have your autograph?
February 11, 2002 6:44:29 AM

Do you have thr Latest Via 4-in-1's ??!??

i know its a hybrid Motherboard...AMD 760 Northbridge with Via southbridge...btu mayeb its possible that something smessign up there ???

I had to fix a buddies computer who had the exact same problem....btu it was a P3 800 with a Via chipset, and it turned out the problem was an IDE BusMaster driver........

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!
February 11, 2002 6:37:09 PM

I failed to see the relevance on your post.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
February 11, 2002 6:46:06 PM

Hey, Meltdown, why don't you post links to a more reliable source than the "Gordon Family"?

If someone else posted a webpage detailing how the Itanium can't run any code without burning down your house, you'd kick and scream about it not being a reliable source. Yet here you are posting (old) links to a very, very unreliable source.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
February 11, 2002 6:50:14 PM

hehe, I can easily create a site that says AMD or Intel sucks and list the "issues" with each. Does that make me a reliable source? I don't think so.

First of all, I'd like to point out that, as far as I know, the first issue isn't true. I've used many many K6-2 and Athlon systems, and NONE have any problem similar to this.

Secondly, yes, the Geforce/AMD751 issue did exist but that was two years ago.

In any case, you have presented nothing of relevance.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
February 12, 2002 1:42:48 AM

Unfortunently, AmdMELTDOWN is correct on this issue.........I Personally have seen it on my brothers old AMD Athlon T-Bird Socket A 700MHz chip on an ASUS A7V......

No word of a lie, only the RIGHT channel on the sound card u could actually hear stuff out of....the left channel was pure static and popping and clicking...VERY annoying sounds........

About the JPEG and MPEG Decoding etc.......yes......Everything was all blotchy pink, purple, green...well multicoloured textures of nothing..........actually, it looked EXACTLY like it does on that site MELTDOWN provided the link too.....

Wanna hear the VERY Interestign part of all this??? Well, I Concluded that the MMX Unit on the CPU was horribly damaged.........And I couldnt quite figure it out....so I Ran SiSoft Sandra..........and no word of a lie.....on the MultiMedia part of the benchmark......@ 700MHz.......the MMX ALu part said it was pulling 28,000+ IT/s.........i was thinking to myself....WTF ??????? I thought mayeb the OS was f*cked.......so i formatetd the HDD, and put WinME on just to test.......and right after the install was done, u know liek when it boots into the Desktop the first time and it plays that stupid Movie....yea, it was all Blotchy and the annoying poppign and clickign soudsn were still there......ok, i figured the CPU had issues, so i popped in a Buddies T-Bird 800 into the MB, and everythign was fine.....btu after takign the CPU Out, I noticed that the Bottom Left corner of the die was Edged (Chipped) aswell as a tiny piece at the top left......So i figured it was the cracks ont he die that caused this problem......it broek the connections on the MMX Registers or smething.........
Anyways...i fiddled aroudn with Sandra a bit with the 700 T-Bird again.......I Disabled MMX and MMX+...and I got Normal FPU Scores.......and than re-enabled the MMX options once again, and this tiem it was scoring well over 30,000 IT/s.....

Very interesting stuff to say the least.......the funny thign is this CPU worked 100% perfectly fien for about 5 months before this problem.........i think what happened was that My brother tried to take off the HSF, whcih was a Thermaltake Golden Orb at the time...and eh musta damaged the Die........therefore I must conclude the only reason why anyone had this issues accordign to the Gordon Family is becasue they also improperly mounted and re-mounted there HSF. It doesnt however explain the K6-2's.......so maybe the problem occurs in the Burn-In test.....maybe som4 pass, but got so stressed out, they were just bound to give out sooner or later........

BTW, my brother still has the T-Bird 700MHz CPU........cuz I bet many of you don't believe me.....but Im very serious.....Next tiem I go over to his house, I'll pop it into his Board that has a Duron 850 now.....run Sandra a few times, screen capture it all.......adn also open up a web page full of JPEG's..screen capture it.......and than copy them to my computer.......and anyoen who wanst to see, can e-mail me a request and i'll send them to you.......

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!
February 12, 2002 2:12:50 AM

dont forget to smack the little twit around a bit for cracking your core!

Overclocked athlon 1200C @ 8.5 x 166FSB + PC2700 = GOOD! :smile:
February 12, 2002 2:40:10 AM

very good joke.

have you some others ?

if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy.
February 12, 2002 7:17:27 AM

Quote:
everythign was fine.....btu after takign the CPU Out, I noticed that the Bottom Left corner of the die was Edged (Chipped) aswell as a tiny piece at the top left......So i figured it was the cracks ont he die that caused this problem......it broek the connections on the MMX Registers or smething.........

Even tiny cracks you could only see with an optical microscope are like the grand canyon on the transistor and interconnect scale. It is highly unlikely physical damage was the cause of the issue.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
!