Sign in with
Your question

New home virtualization server ($2000-$2500 range)

Last response: in Business Computing
August 4, 2010 4:59:44 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: soon as possible

BUDGET RANGE:
$2000 - $2500 Before

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
Hyper-V host (running virtual servers)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:
Scandinavia

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel i7 Quadcore CPU. 24GB Ram or more, MB with integrated video card.

OVERCLOCKING:
No.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: NO

MONITOR RESOLUTION: N/A

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I plan to purchase 5-6 1GB disks to place my virtual machines on. Would like to keep the heat and noise down (as much as reasonably possible) since this will be a 24/7 server (home email, web etc+ lab/testing). 650W PSU enough?

August 4, 2010 9:38:07 PM

I do not really have the expertise to give you any direct advice, but I built a computer recently for somewhat the same reason as you. However I use Windows 7 as operating system and then use Vmware Workstation 7.1 for running virtual machines. Here is my build.

If you will use 24 GB of RAM I think you have to use a motherboard with a 1366 socket, since the 1156 has a maximum of 16 GB. I also think that 24 will be maximum on the 1366, if so then you will have to go to a Xeon type CPU for the possibility to add more RAM. Someone must however verify this, it is just what I think.

August 4, 2010 10:09:13 PM

Specs for my Hyper-V server are in my signature. I'm running a web server, SQL server and one client. 8 Gig of RAM is plenty for my purposes as neither of my virtual servers require more than 2GB of RAM.

The questions you need to answer are how many clients you want to run simultaneously and what is each client for (XP/Vista/7 client User, Web Server, SQL Server, Exchange server)?

How much RAM you're going to need is going to depend on what each virtual client is running.

-Wolf sends
Related resources
August 5, 2010 7:01:27 AM

Which version of Windows 2008 will you run? The original or R2 and core or normal?
August 5, 2010 6:44:29 PM

I will be running Windows Server 2008 R2 (standard edition, no core).

I know 24GB sounds alot, but today I run 2 8Gb boxes and total of 16GB is not enough. I plan to run 10-12 virtual machines. Few low spec for private email, web page etc and the rest is for lab server applications.
August 5, 2010 10:41:57 PM

Quote:
I will be running Windows Server 2008 R2 (standard edition, no core).

I know 24GB sounds alot, but today I run 2 8Gb boxes and total of 16GB is not enough. I plan to run 10-12 virtual machines.

Will you be using the host machine for anything else than just running the VM:s?

If not, have you looked at the free Vmware vSphere Hypervisor? (Formerly known as the free version of ESXi.) It should be able to manage the memory better than Hyper-V and might be more effective for the 10-12 VM you are planning for.
November 15, 2010 4:41:18 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Systems to section Business Computing by Jpishgar
!