My computer retailer ripped me off I think, only included 32bit Window

andy_81

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
I have the COA and everything, it's a legit license, but only the 32 bit CD is in the package when I bought my computer. I notice the retailer has sneakily typed in the invoice along with all the other items "Software Windows 7 Home Prem OEM 32B" which I was asked to confirm before ordering, but I did not know about the whole 32 and 64 bit difference, only later did I realise all my 4 GB RAM can only be supported by the 64 bit. The terms on Microsoft website clearly state that the package must include both 32 and 64 bit, but the retailer told me I confirmed the invoice before ordering, now he won't give me the 64 bit that sneaky bastard. Do I have a legitimate gripe? I told him I am going to report him to Microsoft first thing Monday morning.

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Well if you have the windows 7 32bit version, more than likely he has the 64 bit with the same code, just ask, no need to threaten people. Threeatening is the least effective way to get computer geeks to do what you want.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Do the terms of the Microsoft website apply to the re-sale of Windows or would they just apply between Microsoft and your repair guy who bought the disc off them? You may have a case if you ring Microsoft. That's what I would be doing - the worst they can say is no. I'd even be tempted to tell a little fib and say your friend is offering you a copy of Windows7 x64 really cheap and you're considering it but you're afraid it would be a pirated version but you can't afford a new copy. With the measures they take to reduce pirated copies of Windows I'm sure they will sympathise...oh wait we're talking about Microsoft ;) It has to be worth a phone call at least. Best of luck!

andy_81

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
No, you are mistaken. As at http://oem.microsoft.com/public/sblicense/2008_sb_licenses/fy08_sb_license_english.pdf and it also says on the back of the box of my 32 bit CD under 5 d) The Pack may include more than one platform version of the Software such as 32-bit or 64-bit. You may only
preinstall one version but must distribute both versions to the end user.
I've highlighted more for you.

64 bit only
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754

32 bit only
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116752

loneninja

Distinguished
I'm with delluser1 on this matter, when you purchase an oem copy of windows 7 you get either the 32bit or 64bit copy typically. The licensing says if the oem builder recieves both the 32bit/64bit copies, than they must give both to the customer. The builder probably didn't receive both 32/64bit for that cd key, there for they don't owe you a 64bit copy of windows.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
i am a oem builder

I have to specify which version of windows - from home premium to ultimate and which version - 32 bit or 64.

I generally purchase 32bit as it is still the most compatible option as 64 has some compatibility issues.

Windows xp 64, Vista 64 and Windows 7 has to be specified at time of their purchases.