What's my highest upgrade from a 500Mhz Celeron?

G

I've got an HP Pavilion with a Socket 370, 500Mhz/(66MHZ?) Celeron. HP Support says that the only upgrade I can go to is to a 533Mhz Celeron, but I don't believe them. I don't want to do any hardware swapping except for the CPU. Am I limited to the Celeron 533/66?

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
they are probably true!

your board may not support the FCPGA Coppermines, just the PPGA Covingtons. Its the voltage issue, but you can pretty much upgrade to any Coppermine 66 MHz FSB Celeron (upto 766 MHz) with the <A HREF="http://www.powerleap.com" target="_new">Powerleap</A> Neo-370 adapter that converts the higher voltage the motherboard provides to the level the newer chip needs.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

G

Thanks. Is it worth my time to upgrade the CPU, or should I spend my $$ on another 128 (from 128 to 256 max) of RAM and a faster hardrive. When converting CD's to WMA 64K (CD Quality) format, my computer is much slower at the task compared to my brother's new 1.1 Ghz Emachine. Any suggestions on how to turboize this cheapo HP?

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
You could really use both, however it comes down to how much you have. you get get 128 meg on the cheap for that machine (may wanna go for 256 more) but the adapter + cpu will be alot more. I bet you could get both upgrades for around 150$ or so depending on the new cpu.

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Chill dude, open the case and tell us what Asus motherboard you have. You can probably run Coppermines, but just check first.

My suggestion would be to borrow a Coppermine CPU from another system and try it. If your motherboard doesn't support the proper voltage, it won't boot.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

I'll check out the motherboard. Here's something that may help me. The RAM I use is PC100 but the processor is 500/66. This may indicate that I can put in a processor that runs at 100mhz, i.e. a Coppermine PIII 800/100. Just a thought. I like your suggestion though.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Look at it this way, no matter how fast your new processor is, the rest of the system will be not so great. From that perspective, I would recommend a Celeron 850, should your motherboard support Coppermine processors. The PIII 850 cost 300% more with less than 30% more speed in programs.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?