Duron or Athlon

G

Being limited to a 200 mhz FSB puts questions over which CPU i should go for, a Duron 1300 or an Athlon 1400 200/FSB.
Reading some of the older reviews here of that Athlon 1400/200, It's performance lagged behind a 1200/266 Athlon.

So is there really that much differ in performance between the 2?
Athlon 1400/200 our becoming very rare to purchase now and i've yet to know if sticking a XP Athlon 266 FSB will serve as any benefit to me or even work.

My MB is a Gigabyte GA-7ixe4 -Latest bios installed-

Any feedback would be great, thnx

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A faster FSB means faster memory, and that counts more than processor core speed. A 1200/266 will perform at par with 1400/200 if not better. Of course, it depends on thetype of application you are using. So its better to get the 266 MHz FSB processor.

All AthlonXPs have 266 MHz (DDR) FSB, thats better!

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Go for the cheapest 200Mhz FSB solution you mentionned here. You'll get all the power you need, even for games. Don't bother with XP, unless you plan on changing your mobo.

<font color=red>Floppy disk?!? What the heck's a floppy disk?!?</font color=red>

G

I would love to go for any of the 266 FSB Athlon range but my Motherboard according to the specs will not go that far.
Getting a new MB for now i've ruled out, havent had this one a long time yet, I will save a bigger upgrade to way further to the line, low funds.

For uses, it will mainly be for gaming/emulation and general net use.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Well it depends on what you'll be doing, the Athlon 1.4 will outrun and outpace the Duron 1300 in the Majortiy of things.......but in Games...they'll eb about Equal...as the Duron is the Morgan core version which has SSE........you can Overclock either....but really its up to you.......for windows based apps.....go for Athlon......if you want that AND Games....go for Athlon....if you only really care about saving money and playign a few games...go for Duron....and even then OC that a little bit.......

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
i suggest looking at <A HREF="http://ftp.gigabyte.com.tw/support/user_pdf/k7_socketa.pdf" target="_new">this list (pdf)</A> before deciding... it is gigabyte's supported cpu's list... also, gigabyte says you can bump your FSB to 115... (but not garaunteed)

good luck!

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.

pat

Expert
Go with a Duron, They are not slow processors. Only the market call them slower. Sure Athlon are faster, but as you say, you want to upgrade later with new MB an CPU, so go for the cheaper at this time to save for later.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!