How Many CPUs can AMD Make?

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
Will it be able to control much greater market-share then todays 20% ?
what is the current Dresden fab utilization ?

I think does are big quistions for AMD...

any insights are welcome.
Thank You!

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Last I heard the German facility will be running at 100% by years end. Also thier US facility is being upgraded and itll handle the low end production and allow the German fab to make more high end product. They also just signed a foundry deal to have chips made by a third party. They could grab a good bit more market share with thier current capacity, although I am not sure how much. Id have to guess they can at least make thier goal of 30% at very least.....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
hmmm i've got updated that by years end when the dresden fab will be 100% utilized it will be able to produce 50 million processor a year... thats alot thought not that much if you consider that AMD is in on it at all fronts : From laptops Up to high end servers...

as you said they also have an agrrement with UMC so its seems they'll be getting some help.

i'd agree with the 30%+ theory

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
Also you see, when they move to .13u they can get lot more processors per one wafer. So the smaller the process get the more processors they can make fromt he same wafer. They should be able to make lot more processors with .13u then .18u.

You should also know that Intel has converted about 4 fabs to .13u so AMD have a good challenge. They must execute on their schedule to capture any more market share.

You should also know that AMD Gain overall market share in the 2001 but lost market share in Q4 of 2001. So they need to convert to .13u fast to gain more market share from Intel.

KG