Sign in with
Your question

Intel or AMD

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 12, 2002 4:31:11 PM

Which processor performs the best??
I'm interested in a processor which perform the best in 3D games etc.

The AMD 1.33 Ghz or the P4 1,6 Ghz.

(I know there is a post about this on TOM's mainpages but the pages cannot be found :(  )

More about : intel amd

February 12, 2002 5:14:16 PM

WOW! No biased stuff yet! Amazing. I would have to say that you are looking at very similar performance from those two CPUs. However you can prolly get a faster Athlon XP (1800+)for the same price as the 1.6 P4. That would be faster id think =)

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
February 12, 2002 5:24:13 PM

If you go the Athlon route, I would recomend getting at least an XP 1600+ (1.4 Ghz). The XP is about on Par with a P4 1.6A (northwood), and a bit cheeper at that stage if you don't plan on overclocking.

If you do plan on overclocking, the P4 is a better route at the moment.

How much are you looking to spend on the CPU, MB, RAM, and Heatsink Fan? Are you planing on overclocking?

This is a non-smoking forum.
If your computer is smoking, please extinguish it immediately.
Related resources
February 12, 2002 5:36:37 PM

well i don't think this would really answer your question but here's a suggestion. get an athlon and get a better video card? or like the other's said you can get more bang for your buck with an athlonXP..

didnt have one of em electronic pens so ill just type my name,<i>CoOoLMaNX</i>
February 12, 2002 6:21:56 PM

Both are pretty good processors. But I would have to go with an Athlon CPU since its cheaper than P4 and delivers about the same performance (if not more).

<font color=red>Floppy disk?!? What the heck's a floppy disk?!?</font color=red>
February 12, 2002 6:52:49 PM

Well the performance with the XP is definitly better but we need more info of what you're willing to spend. I'd recommend the XP 1600 instead since it's at the same level price, or even an XP1700 since it has gone down in price due to XP 2000.
But any XP you get will be better than a P4 2GHZ in almost any task, that's a sure thing.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...
February 12, 2002 7:06:45 PM

P4 owns the XP in many ways, its a faster cooler chip that consumes less power.

Its more stable with less problems.

The 1.6A is the current price/performance leader. The 1.6A is a awesome overclocker too.

go with the P4, take a few minutes are read back a few pages on this board. notice that all the "help me" posts are AMD based. AMD posts include crashing, random reboots, overheating, and other wonderfull suprises. With the P4 you will not have to worry about getting bad chipset or incompatabilities. You can throw the parts in a box and have good results unlike AMD.

If you want to get it right the first time without any hassels go for the P4. if you want problems by all means get the AMD. the prices are under $140 for a 1.6A that can outperform the 2000+ AMD on any given day. anyone who wants to argue that then beat my posted score.
February 12, 2002 7:14:04 PM

either processor would perform great, assuming you had a good video card and enough ram (256megs min). P4 has better thermal protection, uses less power, and is more overclockable. XP is cheaper. Rdram and ddr cost around the same now. If you choose XP, avoid via motherboards like the plague.

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by intel_inside on 02/12/02 04:18 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 12, 2002 7:24:23 PM

Wow i'm impress Intel_inside!!

Intel_inside is right ,as price point of vue,both are almost the same.
Tha major differance is if you plan to go for P4 go whit the Rdram or DDR not Sdram.
P4 as the advantage right now to be the best overclockable CPU (Notrhwood),you can get 400Mhz/more out of the 1.6A whit the retail HSF.

And the AMD 1800+ will outperform all wellys P4.Clock for clock AMD is faster.

Good luck choosing!!

Sorry for my spelling I'm french...hey I ain't perfect!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 12, 2002 7:28:06 PM

ok, we just had a flame war on this, seen?
so, i humbly suggest that _everyone_ having opinons, 'knowledge' or maybe the absolute, objective truth: please try and give us checkable references the claims in your posting.
maybe we could have this turn out as an interesting debate instead of just a continuation of the flames.

det finns ingenting att göra här ute/det finns ingenting här för oss
February 12, 2002 7:35:52 PM

Fugger you have got to be the most miserable man in the world... Man did your moma drop you or what!!
Wake up man, do you realize what you just said?
"1.6A will whoop an XP 2000 anyday" , you [-peep-] he ain't gonna overclock, he's looking for stock CPUs, and the XP 2000 is literally a skyscraper compared to the 1.6A being a small 6-story appartment!!
Man you really are delusioned by Intel.... go troll go...

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 12, 2002 7:41:12 PM

eden: ok, he was a bit provocative but youself choose if you wanna be provoced, right? You can as well choose to answer in a factual and calm manner. if you think he is incorrect, then say that and explain why you think that.
Everyone, lay of the aggro style, it does nothing good for this thread... please?

det finns ingenting att göra här ute/det finns ingenting här för oss<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by janem on 02/12/02 10:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 12, 2002 7:42:47 PM

"... The 1.6A is the current price/performance leader. The 1.6A is a awesome overclocker too. ..."

I think your statements are non-exclusive. The NW 1.6A is probably a price/performance leader if you overclock. But if you don't overclock NW 1.6A, then it's probably not.

"... the prices are under $140 for a 1.6A that can outperform the 2000+ AMD on any given day. <b>anyone who wants to argue that then beat my posted score.</b> ..."

Compete with your overclocked to the max cherry picked video cards?
February 12, 2002 7:50:53 PM

Quote:
With the P4 you will not have to worry about getting bad chipset or incompatabilities.

So you think the P4X266(a) and SiS645 are good chipsets? I thought you had said they weren't.

BTW, Crucial PC2100 from Newegg is $79/256MB, while Samsung RDRAM is $80/256MB (GoGoCity, I believe). Those are pretty much arbitrary places, I didn't pick them because of prices. Interesting that DDR and RDRAM are finally actually the same price (no comparing cheap RDRAM with ultra-expensive DDR, or vice-versa).

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
February 12, 2002 7:52:13 PM

Like I stated, if you think you can beat my rig with a 2000+ then do so. <A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2692208" target="_new">put up or shut up</A>. We are not a biased review site, so I ask any one of you to build your best and put it on the line. Im saying my 1.6A can whip anything you put up against it.

What better way do you have to prove that a 2000+ can even come close? I challanged everyone here, yet no one can beat my posted scores produced by a 1.6A.
February 12, 2002 8:01:12 PM

Try a working link before you challange anyone. I am sure you can get a 1.6 OCed to beat a 2000+, but at normal clock speeds with =parts (vid card, drives, etc) there is no way the 1.6 will beat the 2000+ consistantly.

February 12, 2002 8:03:13 PM

I agree with Fugger for the most part I don't like the way he "decorates" his opinions with bashing. In any case, the P4 1.6A and 1.8A are great processors, there's no denying it. Even without overclocking, they give very decent performance. The P4, however, loves bandwidth. I recommend an RDRAM-based mobo if you're going the Intel route. AMD's overall value isn't as good as it was before the Northwood but that should chance with the T-Bred.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
February 12, 2002 8:05:26 PM

Nice link, too bad it doesn't work so i guess you ought to shut up.

February 12, 2002 8:07:35 PM

They are ok chipsets, nothing that I would use or recomend.

I found PC2700 CL2 for $72 (I paid like $150 2 months ago)
February 12, 2002 8:10:03 PM

Madonion.com is very busy today with new release 3Dmark2001se. My link does work just keep trying.
February 12, 2002 8:21:49 PM

Fugger, you have built a great system, and it performs well. However, you can not assume that someone who is asking for advice about a CPU will overclock it. A non-overclocked P4 1.6A will NOT beat out an Athlon XP 2000+ in most benchmarks assuming all other hardware relitively equal.

How much money are you looking to spend, and what is your time frame. You might benifit waiting till AMD comes out with it's next chip, as that will likely drive prices down, posibly on both sides.

February 12, 2002 8:23:47 PM

Yepper, getting cheap =) I just got some Kingston for $63, although its only CAS2.5. Soka, for a cheapo machine!

February 12, 2002 8:26:14 PM

I just wish RAM prices would drop again so I can stock up on RAM on my next upgrade (perhaps 1 or 2GB). Sadly, I doubt that will happen.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
February 12, 2002 8:41:30 PM

Yes, from what I hear RAM prices should be stable for some time. I got one of my boxes upto 1 gig, my second upto 512, and the rest upto at least 256 while it was cheap (down to 22$ for kingston pc133 and 35$ for crucial DDR 256 =) I may end up ripping half of that gig for the machine I am building next week =/

February 12, 2002 9:02:25 PM

Dude, the guy is asking for it.
It's not about being provoked, but the fact he just constantly puts trash to innocent people asking for some tips is just not in my language.
And Fugger what kind of moron would think a 1.6A NON-OVERCLOCKED beats the crap off a 1.66GHZ XP 2000? Man you really are delirious. Until you admit the truth about the XP 2000 being better at stock speeds, you are nothing but dorkus-malorkus.
Just wait till Tbred comes out, we'll see very low heat AthlonXPs and some pretty nice overclocking and high speeds, which should put an AthlonXP CPU on top of anyone's wishlist so cram it troll!

--
February 12, 2002 9:03:06 PM

Oh and I'd like to hear from Matisaro on Fugger's "facts of life"...

--
February 13, 2002 4:50:57 AM

I agree with you eden, but I have chose to totally ignore FUGGER, Meltdown, and intel_inside(unless they make on topic and non flaming posts, to which I would gladly reply in kind). Flaming them only makes us look bad.

If fugger lies about something, say it calmly without name calling, that his advice is wrong, and move on. I think that he gets his kicks from getting us to insult him, and even though he dosent realize(or dosent care) that no one on this forum respects his oppinion (at least on processors) our continued bashing will do nothing to change his ways.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
February 13, 2002 6:33:07 AM

Just a couple things to think about since people are slanting reality a bit...

1. Look at the overall performance of a CPU, stock ,not just the video scores with a top of the line videocard and a perfect overclock. Look at the reviews and compare them to what video card you will be buying and an average overclock if you plan on overclocking.
2. Will you be overclocking? If you are, be prepared for the risks and don't expect a perfect overclock. It's not going to necessarely be a text book case.
3. The motherboard makes a difference.
4. The memory makes a difference.
5. The powersupply makes a difference.
6. The airflow, case, and cooling make a difference.
7. Heating issues are not existant on the AMD platform if you follow instructions.
8. If you are looking at the P4, make sure you're looking at Northwood benchmarks, not Williamette.
9. If you're looking at Athlon 1.33 benchmarks make sure it's the Athlon XP.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
February 13, 2002 6:42:09 AM

Do you really think it's fair to judge a CPU based on an overclock that will be different for each person? What if that person gets a bad batch that doesn't overclock well? Then they're stuck. It's much safer to buy a good CPU that performs well stock and then any overclock you get is gravy.

Are you guaranteeing 2551 Mhz on the Northwood 1.6 Ghz? Is Intel guaranteeing it? The 1.6 Ghz Northwood is not going to beat a AXP 2000+ stock, and I think that's important to note before going into your great overclocking results.

We don't even know if this guy is going to overclock. You overlooked that completely.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dhlucke on 02/13/02 00:48 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 13, 2002 7:38:07 AM

Fugger, you asked for a system that could beat yours with an XP 2000. How something slower?

Score 11199 XP1800+ELSA 920 @305/670 :) 
Date 2001-11-23
Res 1024x768 32bit
OS Microsoft Windows 98
User macci@vr-zone.com
CPU AMD Athlon(tm) XP/MP/4 2035 MHz
GPU NVIDIA GeForce3

Score 10921 ***GIBBO*** CPU air cooled & GF3
Date 2002-1-26
Res 1024x768 32bit
OS Microsoft Windows 98
User andy@macc205.freeserve.co.uk
CPU AMD Athlon(tm) XP/MP/4 1946 MHz
GPU NVIDIA GeForce3

I believe these are two comparable systems, both with CPUs in the range you challenged. And both beat you. Comments?

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 13, 2002 9:29:43 AM

Ok, first of all thx for all the replies (Some more useful than others *cough* stop flaming *cough*)

Now i have looked a little more at the prices and different cpu's.

I have 2 choices. Either the
Pentium 4 Northwood 1,8GHz In-a-Box Socket 478 / 512KB / FSB 400MHz (Approx. 280$)

or

Athlon Palomino XP 1900+ (1600MHz) Socket A / FSB 266MHz (Approx. 269$)

I have no intentions about overclocking it and i were thinking about putting it in a 512 mb pc2700 DDR system with a Geforce 4 ti4600, about motherboard im not sure yet...any suggestions?

So what should i choose??
February 13, 2002 9:54:58 AM

If you're not planning to overclock, the AthlonXP 1900+ will crush the Northwood 1.8GHz. Since you're not planning to overclock, why go with PC2700? It won't benefit a non-overclocked AthlonXP. Get yourself some good quality CAS2 PC2100 and you'll be fine.

The Asus A7V266-E is currently king of the hill for uniprocessor Athlon performance and has a CPU Overheat Protection that will save the CPU from most heat emergencies. The EPoX 8KHA+ comes in a close second place. The EPoX 8KHAL is a cheaper version of the 8KHA+; the only thing it lacks over its more expensive brother is a sixth PCI slot.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?
February 13, 2002 9:57:37 AM

Well Sir, Since you have no Intention to Overclock, your better off goign with the Athlon XP 1900+....At stock speeds, the Xp 1900+ runs circles around the 1.8A Northwood......well, not realistically, but overall in Benchmarks it edges it out =)

Also....assuming you were goign to take the P4 route, I think we'd have to warn you about Intel and there Platform switching routines.......they liek to release a Platform (Socket 423 Pentium 4's) and stop support for it becasue they made a new one (Socket 478 Pentium 4's) and who knows when they will do it Next........Now, the Socket A/462 Platform is here to stay until AMD Releases there x86-64 chips........therefore you have future support that is KNOWN....like the T-Bred which si comign down the line...etc....

Anyways.....you'll save $11 according to the prices you gave......the Athlon will perform better.....and you have upgrade support down the line for sure.....not a maybe and possibly......

About the motherboard you want........a Good board for a cheap price so I keep hearign is the IWill XP333.....another board I Definently personally recomend is the Epox 8KHA+.......very nice board based on the Via Kt266a Chipset........anwyays, good luck...have fun...and Enjoy! :wink:

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!
February 13, 2002 10:58:21 AM

Apologies to the many here...
But like I said, the troll "attacked" trash on an innocent asker, providing even detailed trash into their heads. I couldn't help but I had to stop him from going on....

--
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 13, 2002 11:45:50 AM

Quote:
go with the P4, take a few minutes are read back a few pages on this board. notice that all the "help me" posts are AMD based. AMD posts include crashing, random reboots, overheating, and other wonderfull suprises. With the P4 you will not have to worry about getting bad chipset or incompatabilities. You can throw the parts in a box and have good results unlike AMD.

The reason most threads are AMD related is due to the fact that more people on this board own AMD than any other CPU.

<font color=purple><b>Techie2001</font color=purple></b>
<i>(Crazy Alien)</i>
If it ain't broke, Don't fix it. :wink:
February 13, 2002 12:51:46 PM

For the XP platform ,Gigabyte GA-7TXH+ is my personnal favorite,there is also the Asus A7V266-E and the MIS K7T266pro2UR that are great,also like Metalrocker said the IWILL is a suberb board.

For a P4 my personnal favorites are the P4T-E from Asus ,there is also the GA8IDX+ for the DDR solution and the GA8ITXE+ for the RDRAM solution.

Sorry for my spelling I'm french...hey I ain't perfect!
February 13, 2002 2:32:45 PM

I would recomend going with the Athlon XP.

If you don't want to overclock, save yourself some money and get PC2100 mem, as you will only run over 133(266 DDR, which is PC2100) if you overclock anyway.

As for motherboards, the Asus A7V266-E is a good one based on the KT266A Chipset. Basicly, most boards that use the KT266A chipset are good, but Asus makes top quality boards in general that tend to perform a bit better than others.
Or, if you get 2 256 MB chips, you can go with the Asus A7N266-D board. It has very good built in sound, LAN, and in theory a built in video card (not that you'll need it or want to use it, but it is a backup in case something goes wrong)

Also, are you talking Canadian $ or US $? If you're talking US, check out <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new">Pricewatch.com</A> as well as Pricegrabber here at THG. You can probably do better than either of those prices in US. If it's Canadian, then I have no clue if that's a good price or not.

February 13, 2002 7:12:46 PM

Canada's prices are way too expensive compared to US. Where a Ti200 is 140$ US, it's 300$ here in CDN, which is 200$ US.

--
February 13, 2002 7:26:23 PM

Quote:

Canada's prices are way too expensive compared to US. Where a Ti200 is 140$ US, it's 300$ here in CDN, which is 200$ US.

Where are you shopping? I can get a Ti200 for $230 at NCIX and Future Shop.

February 13, 2002 7:35:28 PM

Heh those are discount prices man!
At stock prices these still have not reached low prices in mid 200s.
Only a GF4 release would bump GF3s down to mid-range costs.

--
February 13, 2002 7:46:48 PM

Quote:

Heh those are discount prices man!
At stock prices these still have not reached low prices in mid 200s.
Only a GF4 release would bump GF3s down to mid-range costs.

And you think the Ti200 costs $150 all the time everywhere in the U.S? I don't think so. Prices will always fluctuate from store to store but I can assure you the Ti200 doesn't cost less than $200 everywhere in the U.S.

February 13, 2002 9:30:15 PM

the cheapest one i could see on NCIX was MSI-8851 GeForce3 TI 200 64MB DDR VGA/ DVI /TV OUT RETAIL BOX... 265$...
i guess that is significantly cheaper... but still quite a bit more... i just bought a GeForce 2 Ti 64 MB DDR with TV in/out... for 190$ cdn...

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.
February 13, 2002 9:37:49 PM

That's expensive for a GeForce2Ti. You can get an MSI 64MB DDR GF2Ti for $167 at <A HREF="http://www.canadacomputers.com" target="_new">Canada Computers</A>

February 13, 2002 10:00:07 PM

well....this is not for AMD man...its for EVERYONE on this post....well except for the guy who actually asked the question...and whose name ( not surprisingly) popped up only twice....and comented on the damn flamming going on around here....

Damn it guys...its like a WAR out here...the INTEL clan and the AMD clan..( which outnumbers the former by a mile )

Its like you guys r just waiting impatiently for a stranger to throw in that question " AMD or INTEL? " ...and kaabooom....all go to war.....

what the hell does it really matter....10 to 20 fps in a game...or a couple of seconds in ripping....or a few more degrees of heat here and there...a few more volts of electricity.....WHAT DOES IT REALLY MATTER???

when i'm working on my pc...i dont really see or feel my CPU inside...i dont feel the extra heat coming off...or the trivial extra energy its using...it just does the job...its a freakin piece of SILICON...from a company called INTEL....if it were from AMD...it would have done the job...all the same.....

also...why the hell should i overclock it...or why the hell should we assume a stranger asking about a choice of CPU would intend on that either ( unless he inquires about it ).....

instead of going to war, just ask the person for what he wants his new piece of hardware for....give him his choices....and then go back to helping others....isnt that what this forum is supposed to be about.....

I dont mean to offend anyone...but seriously guys.....enough is enough !!!....
February 13, 2002 10:03:04 PM

yeah, i wish i could have driven down to kingston... it was that much at the store (<A HREF="http://www.shopRBC.com" target="_new">RBC</A>) that i bought the rest of my system from... (i highly recommend them for anyone in the ottawa area looking for an amd system) i think next time round, i will do a little more parts shopping, though i did get my 1700+ OEM for 200$

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.
February 13, 2002 11:43:14 PM

I was on topic 100%, the loser AMD lemmings are the ones trolling every thread these days. post anything pro Intel and they all get bent, calling names, trying to discredit, draggin up old threads, everything but staying on topic as if they are clueless to what staying on topic means. They are more bent on flamming others than actually being productive in this community.

Matisaro wants everyone to believe that crap he tries to spew about others, it is all in his head. Matisaro is the biggest loser on this forum by far. yeah im calling names now, I am entitled to sling some mud back at that tard for all the crap he spews about me and others.

And reguarding the loser who posted Gibbo's score, he uses petls, watercooling and volt modding. I do none of the above (im in a different class since Im on 100% air). If I did, my score would own his. Did you see me link to Macci's score? no. Macci uses Liquid nitrogen+ every other trick in the book. your a loser for linking a score thats not yours. ROFL.

Like I said before, you think AMD is better or your rig owns all others, put it on the line. Im using the 1.6A the slowest northwood sold. Thats more than fair in my book.

And to the guy who started this thread, there are more AMD fans here than Intel obviously. but if you want a PC that will do everything you expect and more go with the Intel. If you want a PC that is known for problems than go with the AMD. the price difference is negligable.

Go find any "help me" post on any forum, 99% chance its a AMD related post to crashing, overheating, random reboots, locking up, and other wonderfull features you buy with AMD. Im not making this up, go read for yourself. All the Lemmings here will claim otherwise but that doesnt add up with the thousands of "help me" posts reguarding these problems that are not simple to remedy. It will start as a guessing game to what the problem actually is and then comes the hemeraging of more cash buying parts in order to find and corrent the problem. new PSU, new HSF, new mobo, RMA's, return shipping, wasted time, and so on. its just not worth it buying AMD. We will never sell AMD's due to the high cost of support. some major manufacturers actually dropped AMD like a bad habbit for this reason. you dont need to believe me, just do some reading in help me posts. they speak for themselves.

Everything is built to Intel specifications, not AMD.
February 13, 2002 11:54:04 PM

Not to be too hard on you texas techie, but those guys are using volt mods, pelts and watercooling, and macci uses liquid nitrogen. My open invitation is for your PC, not a test bed PC from a ringer on madonion. Unlike macci and gibbo my system parts can be purchased from the local PC store or pricewatch vendors and you can get similar results.

P4 owns top scores on madonion now.
February 14, 2002 12:16:15 AM

Again, are you trying to compare a stock clocked 1.6A to a damn AXP 2000 1.66GHZ?
If you are, sorry we have no more to talk about....<slam>

--
February 14, 2002 12:18:25 AM

well....i completely agree with your LAST sentence....( not the post about madonion..the one before )

INTEL is a giant corporation in comparison to AMD...or even to any other company to say the least....but i must say this AGAIN....
eventhough i used a PII233..and now a P41.5...and i have NO experience with AMD,definetely AMD make REALLY GOOD processors..., otherwise you would not have so many people using their products..in the past it was the chipsets that pulled them back...but obviously now they r on par...if not even better than their giant competitors...

but as u said...( due to its dominance, just like microsoft in the software category ) technology is somewhat biased towards intel...so u may find less problems with it...but that's not cuz its superior to AMD as a product...just cuz its more DOMINANT...
and dont forget a VERY IMPORTANT ISSUE: if it weren't for AMD..u wouldn't have been able to afford a northwood a couple of weeks after its release....i guess AMD has done more good than harm to the industry, as u think.....

back to my original point....lol..DOES IT REALLY MATTER WHICH CPU U HAVE???
NAME one...JUST one PROGRAM OR APPLICATION THAT A INTEL CPU CAN DO THAT AN AMD CPU CAN'T!!!....
AND DONT GIMME LIKE :
Intel will give u 3 seconds less in a 100 second ripping
or
Intel will give u 289 fps in Q3 as opposed to 275 fps with AMD
or
Sisoft Sandra synthetic BS scores...etc..etc....

i wanna hear :

AMD will warm your room up...and probably ruin the furniture...
or
AMD will cost u an extra $30 monthly for electricity...
or
U cant play this or that game with AMD...
or
this or that Video card,Sound card,CDRW, HD, MOUSE, KB, RAID controller wont work with an AMD CPU...

if u can confirm any of those last possibilities....then i'd say...oh well...AMD has a problem....other than that....it really dont matter ....

and BTW...there r tons of happy people with AMD...and trouble free...i guess....as there r INTELS....

" AMD vs INTEL It really doesnt matter....both r basically DUST...and BOTH do the job!!! "

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by oymd on 02/13/02 09:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 14, 2002 12:21:57 AM

You wanna bet?
I can assure you that without trolls, such flame wars would not come up anytime. I can respect someone that recommends a P4 but with adequate reasons, not just "It won't melt like AMD" or "Cuz intel is best and AMDs are mongrel PCs"....
We all have the right to comment on each other, but trolls make it very harsh and never rational, so we cannot do anything but start a flame war which they start usually. Again if trolls weren't here, such flame war would not happen, and we could agree on each other. Rayston is an example of a rational pro-Intel guy but he recommends the stuff that DOES WORK not just cuz it's highly OCable and is fast like hell.

And if you wonder why there's a choice between AMD and Intel, well first there's price but also the fact that at 1.6GHZ for example, an AXP would make the job done in imagine and video editing in sometimes noticeable times, while the P4 might take another 5 minutes or more... THAT IS NOTICEABLE and can interfere. There are many things the AXP does in seconds that the P4 would just disatisfy you. So yes it matters when choosing a CPU, unless you get a 2.2GHZ NW and OC it, then you got some real nice stuff going there. But as it stands, for 950$ CDN, I could care less because with mobo and RAM too, it cost my entire system!!

--
!