no beep, just black

dudek

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
every now and then (50/50) starting up the computer it fails to give the screen a signal, actually cpu doesn't even give a clearing beep at start up at those times... i can't do a restart, neither just shut i down, but i can force it to shut down pressing the powerbutton for about five seconds.
and furthermore: still having the same random freezing problems with cpu, even though almost everything is replaced and checked; processor (now a 1700 amd xp), new fan and new power supply... 55 degrees, seldom more. with the xp i just got one more problem, mentioned above.
it shouldn't be irq conflict, not os (everything patched and so on) not memory, not motherboard, not cpu, not heat or power... so does anyone have any experience from this very strange behaviour? the electricity in the house? disturbing sources near cpu?

amd 1700+ xp
256 mb ddr
soltek 75 drv
geforce pro 2
ac 97
win 98 se

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
I think if you checked everything you checked you may have hit it with the electricity in yer house. I sold a buddy of mine a machine (Tbirg 1200) that was rock stable at my house, but he insisted it locked, froze and sometimes didnt start correctly at his house. Moved back to my house....fine. I brought over my UPS and hooked it up at his house.....perfect, no more problems at all....100% stable and it boots every time.

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

G

Try updating drivers and see if updating your chipset makes a difference - also have you tried flashing your BIOS to see if that helps. If not - whats your power supply.

<font color=purple><b>Techie2001</font color=purple></b>
<i>(Crazy Alien)</i>
If it ain't broke, Don't fix it. :wink:

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
but what is a UPS?
<b><font color=red>U</b></font color=red>ninterrupted <b><font color=red>P</b></font color=red>ower <b><font color=red>S</b></font color=red>upply

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.