p4 1.6a overclocking to 2.2 - 2.5ghz!

cyn1k

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2002
I was just reading the forums over at anandtech.com and people there are reporting overclocking p4 1.6a's to 2.2 to 2.5ghz with ease! I was very suprised, seeing as I was starting to lean towards getting an athlon xp1700 in the near future.. Now I'm not too sure! The motherboards they were recommending over there was the asus p4266 (i think) and the asus p4s333.. anyhow here is a link to the posts

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=40&threadid=703133

FatBurger

Illustrious
Probably the Asus P4T-E (i850) and the P4S333 (SiS645). The P4T-E and the TH7-II are supposed to be the best i850 overclockers, I'm not sure about SiS645 boards. People at Anandtech usually know what they're talking about though, so you should be ok.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
As a side note, Fugger doesn't like the Asus P4S333, if that means anything. I don't know if he's a reliable source or not. I believe he was referring to the fact that they're not very good overclockers.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Best overclocking board is the <A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2692208" target="_new">TH7-II</A> Im able to hit a 2.6Ghz@160FSB with stability. The TH7-II has options to increase vcore, decrease multipliers, and FSB increasements of 1Mhz. 255 is the max possible FSB, I have reached 250FSB.

The P4T-E is a good overclocking board to 133FSB, very high stability and actually faster than the TH7-II at the same speed. to get beyond 133FSB you have to use the motherboard jumpers and there are no settings listed beyond 133FSb so you have to start at #6 and test each setting thru #10. sadly when using the motherboard jumpers you cannot increase vcore. so this is not the ideal board for the 1.6A if you plan on 133+ FSB speeds. same goes for the P4M266 and SiS650 chipsets(these boards have offset CPU in the retention mech).

The Via and SiS chipsets are very poor overclockers, avoid these boards. The Via chipset I tested did not have vcore adjustments and the SiS645 board did have vcore settings but did not work.

The P4B266 (i845D chipset) is a very good overclocking board but takes a hit in performance with the DDR SDRAM. The P4B266 has vcore adjustments and memory voltage adjustments.

G

You guys should check out Accelenation.com. They have a few entries of the SIS 645 chipset overclocked to 2.3 Gigz I think. Even with DDR-266 ram which is overclocked to DDR-333 level to attain that kind of speed.

I am impress as well. Can't wait till I get my hands on a 1.8A. Still wonderign which chipset I should go for.

Smilley

<b>Dumbass assumptions are the MOTHER of all screw ups</b>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hmm, I was right. Fugger is comparing them through overclockablity. Unless you need overclockablity, DDR RAM based mobos are still an option. According to most review sites, the performance difference between DDR and RDRAM on the P4 is negligible. However, with the DDR RAM as they are today, you might as well get RDRAM.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
Fugger, would the 1.8 overclock any better than the 1.6? I'm wondering if the extra $65 would be worth it.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>