Sign in with
Your question

Year of the Horse & Thoroughbred: coincidence?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 12, 2002 9:31:54 PM

I just thought of something. It is the Chinese New Year, the Year of the Horse. Also many people have noted the horse oriented nature of AMD's code naming scheme. Is this a strange coincidence or is there something more to the eerie fact? Is this really the Year of AMD? Guess we'll have to wait and see...

The holder of <i>this</i> pass is <b>exempt</b> from all forms of 'flaming'.
February 12, 2002 9:55:30 PM

yeah, I've been thinking the same thing. Maybe it's AMD's marketing department hard at work, hehe.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
February 12, 2002 10:03:04 PM

I wouldn't be surprised, in fact it's not a bad idea of keeping track of what cores were released what year.

However, this isn't the year of the Miscellaneous Hardware, either.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
February 12, 2002 10:05:03 PM

don't forget the <b> Appaloosa!</b>

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.
February 12, 2002 10:17:00 PM

Does that mean that next year is the Year of the Mallet?

The holder of <i>this</i> pass is <b>exempt</b> from all forms of <font color=red>flaming</font color=red>.
February 12, 2002 10:56:18 PM

amd's marketing department has actually been doing their job lately. Naming the cpu athlon XP.. good call.. ties in with winXP. Using the PR rating.. good call, higher numbers attract more clueless people (even if it is an artificial rating). All they need now is some sort of coloured people on tv and they will be all set.

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>
February 12, 2002 11:00:38 PM

Way to be racist, good job. I think this marks a new low for you, but trust me you've earned it all.

The holder of <i>this</i> pass is <b>exempt</b> from all forms of <font color=red>flaming</font color=red>.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 12, 2002 11:04:41 PM

Chill out, I think he was talking about the BLUE (as in COLORed) man group, you know, from the Intel commercials?

Believe it or not, everybody is not as race obsessed as you appear to be...
February 12, 2002 11:17:23 PM

I was referring to the blue man group that intel used in the commercials, you would have to be living under a rock to not know about that. Sad, people taking anything I say and trying to twist it.

February 12, 2002 11:20:30 PM

I was acting upon his history of outlandish remarks, which you may not yet be aware of. Intel Inside's seeming desire to piss people off is quite shocking at times, and I very reasonably assumed it to be the case here. Just tell me one thing: when someone refers to "coloured people", do you think of the Blue Man group?

February 12, 2002 11:23:07 PM

Quote:
Sad, people taking anything I say and trying to twist it.

... and sometimes, we don't have to twist it as you've done all the work for us!

February 12, 2002 11:37:18 PM

As much as I dont want to get involved, yes, the first thing I thought of was the blue men. Besides the last few posts I have seen from Intel_inside have been all nice so all is good =)

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
February 12, 2002 11:39:46 PM

chill dude, I don't like the guy at ALL, but you're wrong here.

<i>Better to be silent and thought an idiot than to speak and remove all doubt.</i>
February 12, 2002 11:39:51 PM

well people's attitudes on this board are too bad for me, I might take a break and wait for things to cool off.

February 12, 2002 11:42:20 PM

I'm gonna defend you on this one, he took it the wrong way.
However, ragging on people's attitude here is just gonna make it worse, as most of us think you have an attitude problem yourself.

IN OTHER WORDS, WHY DON'T ALL OF YOU TRY TO ACT LIKE YOU'RE PAST THE THIRD GRADE.

<i>Better to be silent and thought an idiot than to speak and remove all doubt.</i>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 12, 2002 11:54:46 PM

In any other conversation, I would have assumed the same thing you did AP, BUT in this thread I felt it quite obvious that he was referring to the Blue man group...
February 12, 2002 11:58:46 PM

Quote:

amd's marketing department has actually been doing their job lately. Naming the cpu athlon XP.. good call.. ties in with winXP. Using the PR rating.. good call, higher numbers attract more clueless people (even if it is an artificial rating). All they need now is some sort of coloured people on tv and they will be all set.

Actually, AMD doesn't get their PR ratings out of the blue. They use a third-party benchmarking group to compare them to equally clocked T-Birds.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
February 13, 2002 12:10:10 AM

I admitted that I was wrong, I was just backing myself up in stating why I thought it in the first place. And yes, I think that Intel_inside is the last person who should jump on someone else about their attitude.

February 13, 2002 12:13:10 AM

I admit he has been relaxed a bit off his trolling, but I wouldn't get my mind off him any second still.
Give him a month and see the results.
As for Fugger, well we lost him...
As for Melty, he's still this forum's most idiotic unreasonable and low-life Troll.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...
February 13, 2002 4:28:06 AM

Quote:
All they need now is some sort of coloured people on tv and they will be all set.

Whoa.

AHHH the blue man group, ok.

::first reaction was racial as well::

Must be american culture, we tend to see jokes like that in a racial light more so than other countries IMO.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
February 13, 2002 7:04:11 PM

And the third-party benchmarking group you are talking about is Arthur Anderson. You know the same Firm who were incharge of Enron's paper works, they were also advisor to Enron. I hope you understand, that only thing they are there for is to make sure that they have a small print on the benchmarks saying it's compared to Equally clocked T-Birds and not P4's. Not that it would make a difference, since the benchmarks wouldn't change.

KG
February 13, 2002 7:49:50 PM

Have you realized that SSE optimized pong is actually faster..? ;o)

/* The more you know, the more you realize how little you know */
February 13, 2002 8:10:44 PM

Yeah, it does the job, much like the i845 chipset does the job. Get over it, both companies prey on the clueless. A 1.4GHz P4 paired with PC133 SDRAM is as bad as confusing people to think that an AXP 2000+ is actually 2GHz. The only saving graces are that a person getting a i845 based system is probably more worried about price than performance, and with the AXP 2000+, it does perform comparable to a 2.0A NW, so you still get a blazingly fast machine (unless that too is paired with PC133 SDRAM). Needless to say, both companies are predators, and I don't mind. I know better, and I do my best to educate the people with mistaken ideas, but I don't feel sorry for those who are duped in the end, or those who choose to not listen.

-SammyBoy
February 14, 2002 4:49:51 AM

Well said. I have often pointed to Intel's marketing rif-raf "Netburst" architecture as an even more insidious way to trick clueless people. I mean, it's pretty obvious Intel was trying to build a chip that could win the budding Ghz war and gain back market share that AMD fought for. So while sacrificing speed for an easy to market chip, Intel also ends up preying on the masses.

February 14, 2002 5:03:37 AM

Intel_inside, dont go anywhere. Your one of the only reasonable Pro-Intel people left. Someone has to tell us AMD people Intel's side of the story. Mainly because I cant bring myself to read anything about intel without getting nausious. So we really need you.
Second, I have no idea why AMD chose horses for model names. But it does give an odd visual. Picture this: AMD and Intel kiss and make up. The new combined company logo is the Space-suit guy riding a horse. hmmmm.. anything is possible.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.
February 14, 2002 5:53:30 PM

Maybe a Centaur in a bunny suit?

Fugger is still around, BTW.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
February 14, 2002 6:19:58 PM

Quote:
when someone refers to "coloured people", do you think of the Blue Man group?

Actualy, my first responce was that calling the P4 aliens "coloured people" was a bit of a stretch, because they weren't people.

Don't be so sensitive about someone or something that you asume that the person means something bad.

This is a non-smoking forum.
If your computer is smoking, please extinguish it immediately.
February 14, 2002 7:48:41 PM

Ok so he's around, but for what reason? You really that much with Fugger? Man the guy is a dipswitch! He's dumb and IS A TROLL. Intel_inside has calmed down I see, but that's what Fugger did for a brief period until he came back swinging insults at AMD. I hope intel_inside has stopped.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...
!