Page Faults in the Millions! what to do?

firewireflow

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
20 min of firefox gives me about 2 million page faults. 20 min of the witcher 2 gives me page faults over 50 million and more.

this results in stuttering, hangs and performance issues. what to do?

here are my specs

2x intel xeon 5645 2.4GHz
asus z8pe-dx12
24 gb ram (6*4)
asus gtx 680

i still have 6 ram slots free. would it help to double my ram?

:(

Page Faults are common and are not always a problem. They simply indicate that a requested virtual memory address is not loaded in physical memory. This can indicate that the requested page has been moved to swap space, among other things.

Increasing your physical memory may reduce page faults, but I suspect that with 24GiB already that this will not help.

few things..check that the bios on the server board is up to date for ram and cpu code.
Z8PE-D12(X) series formal released BIOS version 1302
Improve system stability.
if the system still tossing errors look to see if your ram is on the mb server qal list. server are more of a ah heck when it comes to buying ram. most times your stuck buying ram on there qal list or the system not stable. i would use cpu-z and read the ram speed and the ram spd info see if the server mb set the ram speed up right. sometime you have to set the speed yourself or use intel xmp profile.

hairystuff

Distinguished

firewireflow

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
thanks for all of your replies!

i solved it by change the page file's size to 4gb (instead of the recommended 24gb) ... that smoothed out all the problems i had!

Not sure why that worked, but I'm glad it seems to be helping you.

Your page faults have nothing to do with your page file in a NUMA arch. It is a result of a CPU hitting the address space on one DIMM bank and missing --- and having to go look in the other DIMM bank.

I explained the issue to you in your other thread, and don't know why my post in this thread was deleted. I love to hear the Mod's explanation for that.

That's not what a page fault is. A page fault is when a program hits a virtual address that has no corresponding physical address.

In a system with swap space or streaming textures, the physical address may have been unloaded to swap space and this is just an indication that it needs to move it back.