ClawHammer: Everything Goes As Scheduled

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1013575024" target="_new">LINK</A>

well all indections so far are good.
it seems we'll have a ClawHammer around years end
first samples already out to "close partners"
thats good...

I think we might see a litle Hammer Show-Down at CeBIT
thats good - as I have some AMD stocks :)
I bet they will fly!

I'm excited!

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by iib on 02/13/02 09:53 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
"...that mass Hammer processors will be provided with an HIS metal lid improving the heat dissipation from the processor die and protecting it against mechanical damages."

Interesting quote from xbits. Older AMD CPUs were accused of having brittle cores. I just hope to God some mobo manufacturer implements use of the thermal diode. That diode has been there since Athlon, but the mobo folks havnt installed any way to use it.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
I know the ASUS KT333 Mobo and the A7M266-D already use the thermal diode...

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
No kidding, color me shocked. I thought everyone was still using the dumb temp. probe on the bottom of the socket. I will look into that, thanks for the correction

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

eden

Champion
Does my Epox 8KHA+'s temp warning and auto-shut off at certain temp count?

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
The other interesting quote from it is that the ClawHammer will be 30% faster than the equivolently clocked AthlonXP. So, following that idea, and if the PR ratings are based off the equivolently clocked XP, as opposed to T-Bird, a 3400+ Claw will be clocked at 2.333, or there abouts. Now, this is just based on simple math (and not politician math). Assuming, that since it has PC2700 support, the FSB will be 166 (333DDR), the multi will be 14. If all this speculation is true, the Claw will, in all areas, destroy a P4 NW. Granted, a 30% increase across the board would be spectacular, but a 15% across would be great, and make the clock for clock difference a non-factor. God, I love competition. If everything pans out, it looks like the Claw will be the CPU of choice when it's time for my next upgrade.

-SammyBoy

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
nah, that uses a mobo sensor (I got a 8KHA+ as well) rather than the diode

---If at first you dont succeed... get a bigger hammer... that'll teach it !!!---

eden

Champion
So where's the diff?
Aren't I somewhat "protected" from any disasters like Intel's way but that it shuts off? And does it work if the fan does fail?

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
the thermal diode is far more aqurite
the sensor could be 10c +/- wrong...

eden

Champion
So where should I set the auto-shut off temp at?
70ish? I dunno what is the temp that an AXP handles before it goes in smoke...

--

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
It can do 90C for about a minute before it smokes...

id say 70ish is about right...

eden

Champion
K thanks!
I think I will put that as enabled option, you can never be too careful! At least I'll prove to my pro-Intel stubborn friends AMDs won't fry when overheated or without fan.
BTW we're talking degrees Celsius huh!

--

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"...that mass Hammer processors will be provided with an HIS metal lid improving the heat dissipation from the processor die and protecting it against mechanical damages."
Does that mean that the Hammer will have the same kind of metal heat spreader that the Pentium 4 does? Or is this new "HIS metal lid" look different and perform different funcitons?

The holder of <i>this</i> pass is <b>exempt</b> from all forms of <font color=red>flaming</font color=red>.

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Antipop. Some others have posted it is similar to what Intel put on theirs. Im sure there will be some minor differences. But at least the "brittle core" crowd will stfu. Hopefully with SOI and the lid, supposed thermal issues wont exist any longer.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am hoping that the combo of .13 micron, SOI, and now some type of head spreader will allow AMD to deliver on its promising that water cooling will be a thing of the past even for the power user. Sounds really <b><i>cool</b>/</i>. hehe, get it?

The holder of <i>this</i> pass is <b>exempt</b> from all forms of <font color=red>flaming</font color=red>.

FatBurger

Illustrious
It's supposed to be IHS, not HIS. Integrated Heat Spreader. Just a typo, apparently. This is the same as on the P4.

SOI won't show up until Barton, I believe.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
SOI will be on Hammer chips from the outset, but Barton will be the first Athlon family chip with SOI.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

eden

Champion
Does SOI give performance boost or better heat spreading?
What performance jump can we expect?

--

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
I thought SOI simply reduced the amount of heat produced and lowers the voltage required for the chip to run. SOI does not directly improve performace however it does allow the potential of higher clocked chips to be produced due to the reduced heat output.

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

eden

Champion
Yet another powerful tool AMD will need so that pipeline overincrease won't be necessary. This proves again that Intel did not put enough research on their P4, in order to make high speeds with high performance and instead chose a dumb low IPC high MHZ route. Hammer will be nothing but the best CPU jump ever yet. I can imagine clock per clock comparisons, CPU twice above! And then imagine Duron-Hammers! My god I will laugh if the Duron Hammer spanks the NW. It would be so ridiculous of a value product...
Although I am hoping they would integrate the Thermal Protection like Intel, just so shut those little cowards out there...

--

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
Kinda Funney how a "badly engineered CPU" is the preformance king right now... ha eden?

The Hammer Will be Good very Good.
but stop saying P4 is badky engineerd...

when you will face that:

High IPC low Clockspeed
&
High ClockSpeed low IPC

are just as good if they blance out
and right now - the P4 is the fastest...
so if you say P4 is badly engineerd accept Athlon is badly enginnerd aswell..

now I love AMD (as stated before) but i can overlook that.

eden

Champion
Not the same thing actually, it seems that even pushing to 0.13 for Intel, and going on pushins MHZ, the AXP still is able to compete. The Willy was the worst competitor for the Athlons, no doubt about it, but even at 2GHZ, the Tbird was still competing, then the XP 1.4GHZ is winning! Fact is, it is not as well engineered, because even reaching high speeds will not compensate a low FPU. So they may run at 2.5GHZ but the FPU apps will still be running faster on AXPs.
And besides if Tbred does reach high speeds, we can overlook the "badly" engineered Athlon huh? Tbred+Hammer: Reclaiming the "High speeds=High Performance", which we do want, because we're right now stuck with processors at low speeds just barely itching to get to higher ones by 66MHZ! But you have to admit that from the TB 1.4, to the Xp 1.66GHZ, there's 266MHZ but a damn big one!! From a 1.4GHZ P4 to 1.7GHZ, there's nary a thing to be impressed about.

--

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
Not the same thing actually, it seems that even pushing to 0.13 for Intel, and going on pushins MHZ, the AXP still is able to compete.
of course its able to compete - are you excpecting not to compete? yeah... it CAN COMPETE did I said other-wise but as you put it : the Athlon XP is ONLY able to compete with a so called "badly engineerd CPU" without even get a lead at preformance... I guess BY YOUR STANDARD IT MUST BE ALSO "BADLY ENGINEERED".
The Willy was the worst competitor for the Athlons, no doubt about it, but even at 2GHZ, the Tbird was still competing,
YEAH! MY POINT EXACTLY - WHY YOU SEEM TO THINK IT SHOULDNT COMPETE AT "ONLY" 1.4GHZ FOR T-BIRD TO GET "ONLY" 1.4GHZ TOOK ALOT! IT WAS <b>ALL</b> TBIRD CAN DO - AND IT WAS HOT AS HELL! ITS NOT LIKE IT CAN JUMP OVER 1.4GHZ!
IT TOOK A MUCH DELAYED TOTALY NEW CORE FOR TBRID TO SURPESS 1.4GHZ IT TOOK ALMOST A HOLE DAMN YEAR FOR ATHLON TO JUMP FROM 1.4GHZ to 1.667GHZ! in which time intel was able to ramp up production and intreduce a 2.2GHz northwood - still competeing with AMD - and even leading.

am I the only one who see that your still thinking in terms of MHz without taking into acount that P4 does scale better - hence Athlon SHOULD COMPETE at much lower clock-speesds...

am I the only one who sees this?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Damn, I hate it when my caps lock gets stuck like that.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>