Laptop #2

G

Well hello peeps hows life????

Anyway. I'm off to college in september - thought I'ed try and extract some intelligence from my mushed up brain!
What I wanted to know is can you stick a cable or ISDN, ASDL etc modems to a laptop and which type of connection would you go for???

<font color=purple><b>Techie2001</font color=purple></b>
<i>(Crazy Alien)</i>
If it ain't broke, Don't fix it. :wink:

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
That's an obvious one.......All you need is a PCMCIA Ethernet Card....typcially made by 3Com (or better yet, the best are from 3Com) for Laptops.......as far as what service to get....it all depends on the Company...where I am......Cable Internet is faster than DSL Internet, but the Cable internet is VERY Unreliable....always down...but DSL never has any problems...so it all depends on the ISP......anyways...have fun...

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!

G

I'm in the Uk so NTL csble is probably where I'll end up - do I use the same ethernet card.
Is the card that looks like a credit card. How much am I looking at for the kit. Ie card, drivers, cabling?

Thanks.

That's an obvious one.......
Not if you haven't had a laptop since the dinosaur ages.

<i>(Crazy Alien)</i>

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
yes... the card looks like a credit card...
i am using one right now... works exactly like the NIC in your desktop, save you can rip it out and put it back in as many times as you want while your computer is still on, and the network will still work! (i love PC Cards)

PCMCIA = "PC Card" for all purposes...
tom's did a piece on network pcmcia cards about a month ago... <A HREF="http://www4.tomshardware.com/network/01q4/011210/index.html" target="_new">here</A>

... in fact i am trying to sell mine...

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.

G

Sell? - I like the sound of that. Do some laptops come with a network port built in??

<i>(Crazy Alien)</i>