How much cooler is a Celeron ??

jg1234

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2002
Folks,

I am new to the board. I have read the reviews on Celeron vs. PIII. Helpful - but what I need to know is how much cooler is the Celeron compared to the PIII ???

I have a PIII 933 in a small 10 x 10 room and the heat is causing the PSU to work overtime. I have installed a Zelman fan/hetsink - but I think the heat is too much. I want a cooler processor.

Please post ! - thanks

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Both run around the same temps and that is not a problem. My question for you is why would you want to go from a PIII 933 to a Celeron which is a Castrated PIII Core?

I know that you said you are new to the board so welcome.

What are you going to use the machine for?

If for gaming, why switch to a Celeron?

If for 3D rendering or some other form of number crunching, why again a Celeron?

If you want to switch just for MHz than my suggestion is don't do it. If it is for bragging rights, the call is yours. If you have a restrcted budget I say wait and save up the money for a better upgrade.

The real issue sounds to me like you need better case air flow. How big is the case and how many and what fans do you have in the case moving air through? Also what direction are the fans moving the air? A HSF combination is only as good as the fresh cooler air it is being fed from outside the case and being exited out of the case after it is heated.

<b>"I'll have a steak sandwich and a steak sandwich." - Fletch</b> :lol:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Celeron is made from a PIII with a defect in one of the two built in cache modules. Basically they blow the connection to the defective part, givng you half the cache. Since cache generates very little heat, the difference between the two is negligable.
Zalman makes mediocre coolers which do not outperform Intel's retail boxed cooler.
If the air comming out of your power supply seems overly hot, consider adding case fans.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
There will be a slight diff in temp as the 933 is 133 bus and the celerons are 100 bus, but as crashman said the difference is not huge. I agree you should look at the airflow in your case and maybe get some 80mm fans to get air moving....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!