Sign in with
Your question

restarts randomly

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2002 4:05:40 AM

I just built a computer with an athlon xp 1700+. For some reason it restarts randomly sometimes. I checked all my cables and made sure there were no device conflicts. I updated the BIOS, and the motherboard is a MSI K7t266a so you know. If anyone can help it would be appreciated

More about : restarts randomly

February 14, 2002 5:51:04 AM

What powersupply are you using?

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
February 14, 2002 6:26:13 AM

Do you have windows xp.

If so, make sure restart automatically for system error is unchecked.

Its in your system properties tab.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2002 12:58:35 PM

Also this option is in Windows 2000. However in Windows XP, for some stupid ass reason, it is shipped with the option by default turned on. I don't understand why anyone would want this option. If you know let me know.

-If it boots, who cares how you did it.
February 14, 2002 2:52:18 PM

I had this problem!

The answer for me was... *drumroll please*....

BAD RAM!

I took out the 128 MB stick that came with my computer, and put in a 256 MB stick I bought from Future Shop (it was 'Azen' brand... probably cheap stuff... but I bought it there because they have a 30 day return policy just in case it didn't fix the problem).

Anyways... with the new 256 stick of RAM, my computer does NOT crash anymore!!

Give it a shot!
February 14, 2002 3:13:46 PM

If it's not the Ram, its alomst a 100% gaurantee its an insufficient Power Supply......

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!
February 14, 2002 3:27:20 PM

yea it sounds like a memory problem....as long as you have a 300w plus power supply it should be ok but in some cases its not with some power sucking components like a gef 3 etc....i would suggest a 400w psu....
i just had a stick of ram go bad not long ago and my computer would boot up to about the long on screen and then reboot....i had two stick so it was hard to identify but after i got the bad one out it runs good now.....if you can try another stick

gluck
February 14, 2002 3:32:23 PM

ASSUMING its the ram........go into your Bios, and set you Ram Timings to worst possible.......like.....Fail Safe settings...or Normal......and change CAS Latency to 3.....everythign to highest numbers possible related to ram timmings......than see if it still gives u this problem...

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!
February 14, 2002 5:24:30 PM

99% of the time itll be RAM or power supply. Even if the supply is rated 300watts make sure its a good quality, a power spike can reboot your system! Also cheap or defective RAM will have the same symptom.....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
!