Upgradeing CPU advice?

G

Hi I would like to upgrade my CPU but am unsure as to which one would be best for me.

At the moment I have a celeron 400 @ 512mhz, A mother board that is a soltek sl-65kv2 socket 370, VIA Apollo pro 133 a series. I am considering either a p3 or another celeron as I am stuck with PGA 370 unless I get a new motherboard, which I am not.

Personally I am thinking of getting a p3 800 to 1ghz if I can find one or a celeron 1 ghz to 1.2 ghz. The main thing that puzzles me is the question of whether a CPU with a Tualatin core will run on my board as I have heard things saying you need to have some kind of special chipset. Also I don’t mind overclocking so which CPU would be best 4 that

Also I’m no techhead so don’t go drilling me over the fact that I’m considering a celeron and that I’m using a board with a VIA chipset

Thankx!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by shatt3r3d_dr3am5 on 02/14/02 02:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The <A HREF="http://www.misrcorps.com/SL65KV2.htm" target="_new">apollo pro a</A> does not support tualatin, but you can upgrade to any P3 or celeron that is not a tualatin. you would need the <A HREF="http://www.soltek.com.tw/English/product/65kv2-t.htm" target="_new">apollo pro133T</A> chipset for tualatin support.

Proving once again that <A HREF="http://www.zombo.com" target="_new">anything is possible</A>.

G

Cant he use one of these slotket things that allow tualatins to work even in BX boards ? They where pretty expensive from what I remember, but less hassle than a motherboard replacement.

Great sig btw.. laughed my ass off..

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

G

If I am you, I will get a Celeron 1Ghz, cost you around $110 - $120. PIII 1 ghz is too expensive, compare to AMD XP.

Jusphil

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
why not just upgrade the mobo with a duron 1.2 thats only like $105 plus S/H then you increase your bus, can use your old ram & old everything else (maye not ISA) it would also help with compatibility issues of the old chipset and CPU. who knows maybe over a year or so you can turn the celery back into a computer for the bedroom or something

Jusphil

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
why not just upgrade the mobo AND a duron 1.2 thats only like $105 plus S/H as a combo (even coms with a cheap fan) Then you increase your bus, can use your old ram & old everything else (maye not ISA) it would also help with compatibility issues of the old chipset and CPU. who knows maybe over a year or so you can turn the celery back into a computer for the bedroom or something

FatBurger

Illustrious
Does it really say "WARANTEE" on their site? :frown:

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

FatBurger

Illustrious
No, I thought you copy/pasted from their site.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>