Please help me with my problem

Tutlas

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
Hi everyone, i've got a problem and i need your expertise. I'll try to make this as short as possible. My cousin's computer broke, win 95 wouldnt boot. she gave it to me to fix it, so i formated it and installed 98, 98 installed fine, but at the last step when it's building a driver info thing it freezes. Since it does this when i put the hard drive in my other comp, i deducted that the problem must be the HDD. so, i went out and got a 2gb HD from one of those comp shows, and try to put that in the old system. when i put it in the old system, it wont even start up... really weird since i dont see how having a HD just plugged in could hinder a whole system, anyway, it boots up fine with the origonal HD. so i put the new HD into my other comp, if i change the boot order so it boots of :a or :d it wont boot with the new HD in. when i boot of the HD i get this win 98 thing and then the C: prompt, i cant acess anything in it, cant format either. when i type a:\ the A: drive light comes on but it says invalid or bad disk. also i'm wondering if the A drive could be faulty....dont know what to do..... sorry this post is so long. i would very much appriciate any help that you could give me. thank you. also does anyone know a good link to a prog that makes basic boot disks that just format the HDD? the one i'm using isnt all that great. thanks again.

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
If your HDD is IDE check the BIOS to see if the drive is there. If not while in BIOS try auto detect the HDD. Then fdisk, create an active primary partition, then format c: /s, and install your OS.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men