The rule of Behirs

The rule of behirs is that they can never be used in standard form.

Think back to Virnig, the behir from The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. Old
Virnig had some minor spellcasting ability, unlike others of his kind.
To my knowledge, Tsojcanth is the first publication featuring behirs,
which means the first time we see one in print, it is nonstandard.

Then there was the behir from Dungeonland (or was is Beyond the Magic
Mirror?). The one with powers of illusion to appear as a hookah smoking
caterpillar lounging about on a giant mushroom. Yeah, him. Again, not
your average behir (standard behir have no powers of illusion).

In my personal gaming experience, I have dealt with two behirs. One of
these was in a campaign run back when I was in high school, and it was a
"baby behir" -- actually a young adult with only eight legs and fewer
hit dice than average. The other was in a game I ran, and he had been
magically altered by a wizard ally so that he breathed fire instead of
electricity.

Now I recently acquired the behir figurine in the Giants of Legend
miniature set, and I noticed that the trend continues. The miniature in
Giants of Legend is supposed to be a Huge creature -- but folks, it is
bigger than that. It pushes the limits of Huge so much that you can
probably pick one up for yourself the same way I did -- heft all of the
Giants of Legend boxes and buy the one that feels heaviest. That will
probably be the behir.

It's a fine looking figurine, better in person than it looks in online
photos. It is so big that its clawed feet sprawl out of its circular
black plastic base, and it looks as though it could eat the Huge Red
Dragon figure from the same set for dinner and still have room for
dessert. The monster manual states that behirs are about 30 feet long,
and I rolled the figure across my battle mat to learn that it is
actually 70 feet long. Since it spreads out of the 15X15 square allowed
for a Huge figure, and seems to nest rather well in the 20X20 square
allowed for a Gargantuan figure, I submit that the behir figure from
Giants of Legend is the first Gargantuan figure put out by WotC for
their 3.X D&D system.

Also, of course, since it is so big... it is nonstandard. Behir can be
advanced up to Gargantuan size, and I figure this figure most be one of
those behir.

Again, the rule of behirs -- they can never be used in standard form.

Anyone else here ever use a behir in standard form? Nonstandard? Lets
put it to a vote.

- Ron ^*^

Spinner

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002

> The rule of behirs is that they can never be used in standard form.

Sorry, Ron. You make a very strong case but my character was eaten by a
stock standard behir on a castle wall. He did have an evil glint in his eye
though.

Spinner

"Werebat" <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote in message

> Now I recently acquired the behir figurine in the Giants of Legend
> miniature set, and I noticed that the trend continues. The miniature in
> Giants of Legend is supposed to be a Huge creature -- but folks, it is
> bigger than that. It pushes the limits of Huge so much that you can
> probably pick one up for yourself the same way I did -- heft all of the
> Giants of Legend boxes and buy the one that feels heaviest. That will
> probably be the behir.

It is by far the heaviest, true. In my opinion, it is the best figure in
the set as well.

> It's a fine looking figurine, better in person than it looks in online
> photos. It is so big that its clawed feet sprawl out of its circular
> black plastic base, and it looks as though it could eat the Huge Red
> Dragon figure from the same set for dinner and still have room for
> dessert. The monster manual states that behirs are about 30 feet long,
> and I rolled the figure across my battle mat to learn that it is actually
> 70 feet long. Since it spreads out of the 15X15 square allowed for a Huge
> figure, and seems to nest rather well in the 20X20 square allowed for a
> Gargantuan figure, I submit that the behir figure from Giants of Legend is
> the first Gargantuan figure put out by WotC for their 3.X D&D system.

Actually, many of the miniatures seem crammed on their bases. The Large Red
Dragon, for example.

> Also, of course, since it is so big... it is nonstandard. Behir can be
> advanced up to Gargantuan size, and I figure this figure most be one of
> those behir.
>
> Again, the rule of behirs -- they can never be used in standard form.
>
> Anyone else here ever use a behir in standard form? Nonstandard? Lets
> put it to a vote.

I had two standards in a game I ran once (just so I could use the minis - I
have 6). They got stomped. I will have to follow the Rule of Behirs next
time.

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

I just recently ran a game with two standard Behirs while the battle
was something else. The thief had to perform a difficult manuver to put
his ring of blimking on the finger of a dwarf who had just been
constricted and had only 3 HP left, First I rolled the chance of him
getting in there and putting the rring on then(barely making it) then I
rolled against the magic ressistance of the dwarf, and finally the
random innitiative for the ring and he just managed to get out right
before he would have suffered 6 claw attacks at 3 HP this is the second
time ever that characrter ever fleed in terror. they went on to
discover the ggs took them and have yet to decide what to do with them.
Standard Behirs but fun battle. but of course having already done
standard behirs the next ones will have to be different
jEr

Donald Tsang wrote:

> Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>The rule of behirs is that they can never be used in standard form.
>

> Isn't the behir Virnig in "Dungeonland" pretty much standard (other than
> the "change self" ability and the hookah)?

That's like saying that Mr. Ed is pretty much a standard horse, other
than the talking.

- Ron ^*^

> Donald Tsang wrote:
>
>> Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>>The rule of behirs is that they can never be used in standard form.
>>

>> Isn't the behir Virnig in "Dungeonland" pretty much standard (other than
>> the "change self" ability and the hookah)?

> That's like saying that Mr. Ed is pretty much a standard horse, other than
> the talking.

You shouldn't talk about Ed like that.

--

In article <pwOne.5464$rb6.4565@lakeread07>,
>>>The rule of behirs is that they can never be used in standard form.
>>
>> Isn't the behir Virnig in "Dungeonland" pretty much standard (other than
>> the "change self" ability and the hookah)?
>
>That's like saying that Mr. Ed is pretty much a standard horse, other
>than the talking.

Yeah? And? Once combat begins, Virnig is totally standard.

Donald

Donald Tsang wrote:
> In article <pwOne.5464$rb6.4565@lakeread07>,

>>>Isn't the behir Virnig in "Dungeonland" pretty much standard (other than
>>>the "change self" ability and the hookah)?

>>That's like saying that Mr. Ed is pretty much a standard horse, other
>>than the talking.
>

> Yeah? And? Once combat begins, Virnig is totally standard.

You're a very silly man, and I'm not going to argue with you.

- Ron ^*^

In article <d7oceo$2bv0$1@agate.berkeley.edu>,
Donald Tsang <tsang@soda.csua.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>In article <pwOne.5464$rb6.4565@lakeread07>,
>>>
>>> Isn't the behir Virnig in "Dungeonland" pretty much standard (other than
>>> the "change self" ability and the hookah)?
>>
>>That's like saying that Mr. Ed is pretty much a standard horse, other
>>than the talking.
>
>Yeah? And? Once combat begins, Virnig is totally standard.

So why is combat the only thing that matters? "Once it gets to hoof-kicking,
Mr. Ed is toally standard."

Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote:
>>>That's like saying that Mr. Ed is pretty much a standard horse, other
>>>than the talking.
>>
>> Yeah? And? Once combat begins, Virnig is totally standard.
>
>You're a very silly man, and I'm not going to argue with you.

I win?

Donald

"Donald Tsang" <tsang@soda.csua.berkeley.edu> wrote in message

>>> Yeah? And? Once combat begins, Virnig is totally standard.
>>
>>You're a very silly man, and I'm not going to argue with you.
>
> I win?

More like class was dismissed.

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 21:23:58 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net>
carved upon a tablet of ether:

> Again, the rule of behirs -- they can never be used in standard form.
>
> Anyone else here ever use a behir in standard form? Nonstandard? Lets
> put it to a vote.

You're right - the one in The Night Below is also non-standard.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."

Late reply, but this just came up.

"Werebat" <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote:
> The rule of behirs is that they can never be used in standard form.

The real question is how do you pronounce "behir"? Is it "be-HERE"?
"BAY-ur"? "BEE-hur"?

> Now I recently acquired the behir figurine in the Giants of Legend
> miniature set, and I noticed that the trend continues. The miniature in
> Giants of Legend is supposed to be a Huge creature -- but folks, it is
> bigger than that. It pushes the limits of Huge so much that you can
> probably pick one up for yourself the same way I did -- heft all of the
> Giants of Legend boxes and buy the one that feels heaviest. That will
> probably be the behir.
> Since it spreads out of the 15X15 square allowed
> for a Huge figure, and seems to nest rather well in the 20X20 square
> allowed for a Gargantuan figure, I submit that the behir figure from
> Giants of Legend is the first Gargantuan figure put out by WotC for
> their 3.X D&D system.

The behir is a pretty weighty chunk of plastic, but there are a couple other
figures that extend beyond their supposed size. The base of the Bullette
(like the base of the Behir) is correct "huge" size, but the head of the
bullette extends so far out in front that you can't pack in figures very
close around it in a minis game. This came up in a 500-point game I played
just a few days ago. My opponent was using the new Druid commander (I forget
the name) and had 2 Bullettes in his warband. The oversized figures made it
difficult to place things near it. The behir would probably have had a
similar problem along its right side where the tail and claws protrude, but
as it happened, he stayed close to the right side of the map anyway.

Had to make a nonstandard rule on the Behir's Constrict power, too. Its
damage is 15+Constrict. Constrict says (Smaller creature skips next turn and
takes 15 damage; DC 16 negates). Does this mean it takes 15 damage on its
next turn during which it then cannot act? We ruled the constrict damage was
immediate, but weren't sure. Now, that made for a different problem. The
smaller opponent was constricted. All that Constrict does is make the
creature lose its next turn. However the total of 30 damage the creature
took caused it to make a morale check, which it failed. So it had to flee,
which happens immediately, NOT on its next turn. Constrict says nothing
about preventing a retreating figure from taking its flee move. So,
following the rules as they are written, we had a guy run 60 feet away from
the Behir, then miss its next turn because it was constricted. Weird, but we
couldn't find any clarification of Constrict anywhere else.

> Also, of course, since it is so big... it is nonstandard. Behir can be
> advanced up to Gargantuan size, and I figure this figure most be one of
> those behir.

I realize you're just supporting your case here, but I'll take it seriously
and say that more likely they weren't so particular with regards to scale in
the miniatures releases. There are other anomalies even among the small and
medium figures. It's a little disappointing, but since it's all just a handy
representation anyway, it's not that important to my game. Affordable
pre-painted minis are an idea that was way overdue.

And my Behir and two Silver Sorcerers threw some mighty lightning around in
that fight.

Chris Dudley wrote:
> Late reply, but this just came up.
>
> "Werebat" <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>The rule of behirs is that they can never be used in standard form.
>

> The real question is how do you pronounce "behir"? Is it "be-HERE"?
> "BAY-ur"? "BEE-hur"?

I believe it reads, "BAY-EAR", with a schwa
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwa] in the middle.

Shawn Roske wrote:
> Chris Dudley wrote:
> > Late reply, but this just came up.
> >
> > "Werebat" <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote:
> >
> >>The rule of behirs is that they can never be used in standard form.
> >

> > The real question is how do you pronounce "behir"? Is it "be-HERE"?
> > "BAY-ur"? "BEE-hur"?
> >

> I believe it reads, "BAY-EAR", with a schwa
> [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwa] in the middle.

I always pronounced it BAY-Here, but then I only had my own guess to go
on...

- Justisaur

Chris Dudley wrote:
> Late reply, but this just came up.
>
> "Werebat" <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote:
> > The rule of behirs is that they can never be used in standard form.
>
> The real question is how do you pronounce "behir"? Is it "be-HERE"?
> "BAY-ur"? "BEE-hur"?

Charlie.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque; it's gaelic.

Chris Dudley wrote:

<snip>

> The real question is how do you pronounce "behir"? Is it "be-HERE"?
> "BAY-ur"? "BEE-hur"?

<snip>

According to the pronunciation guide in Dragon magazine #93, it was
pronounced "beh-HERE" (beh as in "bet").

Arivne
Sorry if this posts twice - Google wigged out on me.