xp's heat controls

G

ok, as I said (few posts back) I'm probably going to get xp 1800+ with MSI nForce 256 ddr-sdram soon, I have no intentions of OC'ing, so the question is, would a normal hsf + thermal compoud be enough, or I'd still need to get more cooling devices? If so which ones.. keep in mind I'm trying to keep costs down, so unless I really need it, I'd rather avoid it, thnx.

when everything else fails read the fine manual

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
No, if you're not overclocking, you don't need any extra cooling. A retail HSF is enough.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

just buy a retail package, the original HSF is good enough, as long as AMD approved it.

FatBurger

Illustrious
You will never find a heatsink in a retail package that is not AMD approved. Unless of course the package was tampered with and someone put a Super Mini Orb in with your 2000+.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
good to see that new mobo's are beginning to actively use the internal diode in the XP...
shame its an asus though

Overclocked athlon 1200C @ 8.5 x 166FSB + PC2700 = GOOD! :smile:

eden

Champion
I was about to ask this but how do I know my AXP with the Epox 8KHA+ can be protected?
I mean if the HSF failed, would it burn or do I need the Auto-Shut Off? I just saw the video AMD made to counter THG's, and I impressed me it ran with heatsinks still on, so it made me wonder if I should worry on anything. There is an Auto-Shut Off option in BIOS but it isn't related to AMD's thermal diode feature.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
depends. very few mobo's have thermal diode usage. those that do will be very responsive to temp changes.
if set up right they will shut down if you have a fan failure and should do the same if the heatsink falls of.

for the rest, that only use the temp sensor under the socket, they can only handle slow temp increases, so its fan failure only.
plus of course the bios has to be set up to support it.

eden

Champion
I'm not getting you.
I am pretty sure my 8KHA+ doesn't have the AMD's video feature, but I don't understand what you mean would happen in my case!
My mobo HAS the option to send a warning sound on a set temp, and auto-shutoff too, but it is not the same as AMD's so what does that mean.
Also IF I didn't set the option enabled, are the XPs going to get burned up like the THG video or are they more reliable like the MP 1.2GHZ video from AMD?

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
allright. nice and simple.

there are three things that can make your CPU overheat bad.

1. poor case ventilation/incorrect mounting of HS/too much thermal goop. since its on well we can ignore these.

2. HSF fan failure (most likely scenario). should this occur the temp will rise alot, BUT it will occur slow enough that the sensor under the socket will be able to respond, and the bios will have enough time to shut the system down.
i believe the maximum response rate for the diode is around 1C/second.

3. heatsink falls off alltogether. i see this as unlikely unless you have a poorly designed heatsink or flawed socket. should this happen the temp will rise extreemly fast, much faster than what the external diode can register, thus by the time the diode has reached the bios shutoff temp your chip has allready cooked. in this circumstance the internal diode AND a properly designed motherboard is required to shut down fast enough. so far i know of only ONE mobo that supports this feature, the soon to be released Asus A7V333.

if you ARE PaRaNoId about your heatsink falling off you can do some of the following.

1. use a well designed heatsink that utilises ALL THREE of the socket hooks. <A HREF="http://www.dansdata.com" target="_new">http://www.dansdata.com</A> this site has a monster review of just about every HSF out there.

2. get a heatsink that mounts through the 4 holes in the motherboard. there are a coupel out there, the Alpha PAL 8045, swiftech MC-462A and the MCX-462
they are both very large, but absolutely failsafe.
i have the MCX-462 and have complete confidence taht my heatsink will NEVER fall of.

clear now? :smile:

eden

Champion
Roger that sir!
I have a Volcano 7 if you needed to know, and it was mounted by the technicians who built the PC, so I don't think I should worry huh?
The HSF is cooling very well this case, temps never go higher than 43º CPU and 35º Chassis, according to the BIOS Health screen on bootup. There are two case fans inside, one rear for exhaust and one blowing in front. Would these act as a backup should the fan fall down or I shouldn't really count on those to prevent any "meltdown"?

--

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Roger that sir!
I have a Volcano 7 if you needed to know, and it was mounted by the technicians who built the PC, so I don't think I should worry huh?
The HSF is cooling very well this case, temps never go higher than 43º CPU and 35º Chassis, according to the BIOS Health screen on bootup. There are two case fans inside, one rear for exhaust and one blowing in front. Would these act as a backup should the fan fall down or I shouldn't really count on those to prevent any "meltdown"?
Good to hear that the Volcano 7 is cooling your so well. I'm getting similar temps with my GlobalWin WBK38 but the delta fan is annoyingly loud, how's the Volcano7's noise level?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well the volcano 7 is a largish heatsink...
so you should be allright in the circumstance of fan failure. temps will climb, but your bios should detect that and shutdown, assuming you have activated the thermal protection in the bios.

caseflow will have a very minor effect, probably make the temp rise just a tiny bit slower.

and your temps look very nice by the way.

anyways... what bios settings do u have available for thermal shutdown?

G

And then there was the customer I had yesterday who cooked his T-bird cause he put the $40 HSF on backwards........

Working on computers is what you do when you get tired of glowing in the dark.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
thats a classy move by the customer...
havnt seen that done in a while.

hopefully that particular moron has learnt something important.

*thinks*
maybe i should ressurect my old signature:
"Lack of thermal protection is AMD's method of preventing morons from using athlon chips!"

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
lol
How the hell do you put a heatsink on backwards?! I'd hate to see how that guy would attempt water cooling
no i'm waiting for someone to just stick the tube in the front of their case and wonder "what went wrong?"

Windows XP cd makes a great coaster :smile:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i even remember someone not attaching a MCX-462 correctly.

ive got one and it made me wonder HOW THE HELL you could put on a mcx-462 incorrectly?
morons are everywhere... and im happy that some fry their athlons. a nice steep learning curve

G

He did, after he smoked the second one I made him bring it to the shop and put it on for him.

Working on computers is what you do when you get tired of glowing in the dark.

eden

Champion
Well the V7 is not prize either when it comes to noise.
It is either the noisy one, the soothing one, and the unheard one.
As you probably know, it has temperature variable control, so it depends on how cooled the case is and the CPU! When I first got the comp, it was noisy as hell, and it was just unbearable!
I then went to RB Computing and bought two case fans which they installed in a "strategic" way to get hot air out. Temp decreased by 5º or so, and it spins in relative to CPU temp, so now it spins around 4300rpm, and it is much calmer. Sometimes it's very silent and sometimes it gets back to heavy rocking, but it all depends on how the room is. I get the feel it reacts also to humidity, and if there isn't alot, it is less noisy as less "sweaty".
But I would definitly recommend this to OCers, as it automatically cools at the big heating levels. There's a V7CU coming soon with incredible HeatSink fins that are double numbered therefore even more impressive cooling! And its look is the sexiest one if I may say so. Golden on the outside with a "Tt" logo, it's huge but it's just for show-offs on the outside!

--

eden

Champion
Ah as for the BIOS settings it can vary from 50º warning to 70º. The auto-shutoff occurs in increments of 5º from 60 to 75º Celsius BTW. That's around 158F.
What temp should I put the warning and shutoff? What temps are the AXPs bound to "burn"? Since the motherboard response is not the same as the AMD's one, what temp is best to set? I would say around 60º seeing as there's bound to be a 10º late response compared to AMD's protection so 60º warning and 65º shutoff should always protect me...right?
The BIOS btw is Award Flash.
One last thing, the mobo manual says that I need an ACPI compliant power supply and OS. I have an Antec P303x 300W and WinXP. How do I know all these WORK when the shutoff command is detected and trigged? Unless they are compliant.

--

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
sounds good. 60 should do it.
as for what temp your cpu dies at that all depends on the sensor. for example my cpu is quirky, and it locks up as soon as i exceed 52C.
(note this is a lockup, not a melty)

win2k and XP are ACPI compliant, i dont know about 98 or ME

if your computer has things like hibernate or only reboot if u hold the power button for 4 seconds then its most likely ACPI compliant.
what u could do is test it.

set the shuttof temp to the lowest (50C) then disconnect the fan, and see if it DOES powerdown.
but if its a modern mobo and pSU it should be acpi compliant.

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Hey i got a question. Almost every AMD owner posts his temp at one point or another. What are Intels temps? I mean that have fancy-smancy packaging, so I was curious since I dont remember anyone Intel owners posting a temp.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.