Sony Vaio Z, only option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

preolt

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Hey TH,

Back again to try to find a solution for my 13" fix. (Probably poor wording there..) Any way I am looking for a 13" or 14" max laptop that has to have two things, first off a high quality display, secondly a designated gpu, and thirdly (woops) enough processing power to bring it all together.

I have been eyeing up Sony's Vaio Z for a while now, it is super light, has a gpu, fact processor, and a screen thats to die for. Sadly used models of the 2010 version start on ebay at 2 grand or atleast bidding goes there. They have released two new models the sony SA and the new Z. The SA has every thing I want, but they cheaped out on the display big time. The Z has every thing I want but has a price tag that could put more then a couple glasses of quality Cabernet in my hand.

I liked the look of the Envy as well, but the stopped putting the radiance displays in them. So what am I to do? I cant take the easy way out and go buy a mac because the smallest size I can get is the 15" and thats too big.

So I come to my finally source, after hours of searching the web. What do you guys suggest? My budget ranges up to 1600 and I will think about hitting 2000 (Sigh, cut back on my morning cappuccinos..) Thanks guys for your help

preolt

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010

Also what are the key differences between the i5-2410M and the i7-2620M. It is just M not QM so its not a quad core if I am correct? That is fine because it will consume less energy. But will I see a large gain going from the i5-2410 to the i7-2620M ? btw the price dif is 250$ so if the gain is not over 20% idk..

Well,you have to sacrifice some of your needs.If you were fine with a IGP,then Lenovo X220,MBA/MBP 13" were all good.
If the weight isn't important,then another option is AW M14x
And yes you're right about the CPU,it's not worth the extra $250

The higher price of the Vaio Z is more like a round trip ticket to Napa Valley and a couple cases of quality Cabernet.

The power savings between the i5-2410M and the i7-2620M is minuscule and not a factor in battery life. The performance advantage is almost as small, certainly not worth $250 IMO.

You'd certainly be better off going with the quad core i7-2630QM (for about $100 upgrade over the i5-2410) vs i7-2620M. It might use a bit less power but your high performance tasks would finish faster (as long as they're mutli-threaded and not all CAD programs are fully multi-threaded).

That refreshed Envy 14 with i7-2630QM has everything but an IPS display. It's stuck on the premium TN 1366x736. It does have the dedicated GPU w/ AMD's HD 6630M. 2 out of 3 of your requirements and saving a good chunk of change.

I like the idea of a full size 17" desktop replacement for power/performance and a 11.6" sub-notebook for portability. You could get both for around the cost of a Vaio Z or a Mac Pro 15" with dedicated GPU.

preolt

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
The ENVY looks pretty good, I might see if I can find a radiance display and install it myself since that would clock it price wise under the vaio Z and SA. Sony is like the apple of cpu's it would seem. Nice architecture but over price.

Do Asus or Acer have any offerings in this range? I think I have read about the timeline series being similar, also I think Acer does but their site is so bloody hard to navigate (or maybe thats just me..)

Thanks for the help guys.

sidewinderx2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010

Haven't done any laptop shopping in a while, but Acer's new Timeline series is pretty good, but doesn't have a good display (same as the ENVY). Most laptops of this size seems to suffer from this problem :/. If a HD display is a must, i think the sony Z or the MBP are your only options. If not, several good suggestions have alredy been brought up.

preolt

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
I mean I understand Higher quality screens are not used in the smaller products. Most people doing rendering, video editing, and photography have the 15" mbp or a lenovo. The Z would be perfect, I just have a hard time justifying the price..

300$ display
280$ i5-2410M
200$ alloy body
100$ over all engineering
90$ mobo
80$ RAM
350$ SSD
300$ gpu (vdock)

That comes to around 1700 this has a lot of give or take because a lot of these products they get way cheaper because of factory pricing and bulk. Some of the prices can not be fully calculated though for instance the engineering factor, I simply used what I knew the engineering calculated cost for apples 13" mbp was estimated at.

That leaves us with a 1 grand gab between the 256 Gb i5 Z. I know people say you pay for name etc. but 1,000? Also as far as saying that using a system like this to justafy costs has holes, you are correct. Buying a 60 cent hotdog at an amusement park for 6 dollars makes no sense so how can you quantify using a pricing method like this. Simply doing it where I can.

Any way I am way off the beaten track now. What do people think of the SA vs the Envy? biggest difference I see is the envy is 1" bigger and slightly thicker in most dimensions. Also the Envy can be configured with a quad core vs the duel core. I have never owned a laptop with a quad core. Just my desktop with my bloomfield i7-950. How are these lower clocked quads doing? heat ?

Sorry I have expanded a bit, but I have now spent so much time researching I have basically thrown myself down an endless hole it seems.

Actually, I'm sure the vast majority use something else. Dells, HPs, etc.

As a student you won't be spending 8hrs a day doing rendering, video editing, and photography while earning a living. So you can easily get by with a mainstream dual core notebook. And maybe you could set aside playing SCII for a few years and take up Sudoku instead?

-> Your personal requirements for an IPS screen, a discrete video card and a small, thin and light form factor are not requirements for doing rendering, video editing, and photography. Or completing a college education.

A compromise: Dell XPS 15z Core i5 Ultra-Slim Laptop $943
Core i5-2410M 2.3GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB 7200RPM HDD, 15.6" 1366x768 LCD w/ GeForce GT 525M graphics.
Dell XPS 15z Review

-> The non Z XPS Core i5 / GT 252M 15" is also about $300 less expensive.

sidewinderx2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Actually, have you looked at the Alienware Mx14? Depending on customization options, you can choose a variety of CPU options. The screen can be upgraded to a 1600x900 one as well. The graphics card in it is quite nice too. The only problem is that it's kinda bulky/heavy :S But still... much cheaper than the Sony, haha :p

preolt

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
I ment they use 15" for those fields and listed the first few that came to mind. I was told that HP and Lenovo will actually barter with you on the price if you call up, is this still true?

Status
Not open for further replies.