Sign in with
Your question

Athlon Video Freeze

Last response: in CPUs
February 16, 2002 5:48:29 PM

Hello. I just upgraded my 650 Duron with a 950 Athlon. Everything works fine except that when I play a mpg or avi movie, it plays for a couple seconds and then the system freezes. I need to reboot my computer.

It seems to me that this is a caching issue. Where the video info is being dumped into the processor (or video card) and then after the cache fills up, some error occurs and then the system freeze.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think the ATHLON processor is bad? I think the ATHLON handles video differently than the DURON. Maybe my video card is compatible with the Duron, but not the Athlon?

Please let me know if you have any ideas...

Cheers,
tom

More about : athlon video freeze

February 16, 2002 7:06:09 PM

Does your HD have DMA enabled?

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
February 17, 2002 11:59:05 AM

It could be a overheating or power problem, the Athlon runs hotter and uses more power, but if you don't have any problems when playing game or doing something else that stresses the CPU then it is probably not power/heat related.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek:  .
Related resources
February 17, 2002 2:11:34 PM

already <i>Honorary Poster</i>.

im impressed.

if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy.
February 17, 2002 2:13:29 PM

it's not a cpu issue.

February 17, 2002 2:15:59 PM

maybe you have changed something in your bios setup during the cpu update process ?

February 18, 2002 6:23:36 AM

Well, you might be on to something here. Basically, it freezes EVERYTIME I play a movie. But it also consistently freezes when I download a file from the internet or if I have certain programs running.

However, I did buy a fan that is rated for up to an Athlon 1.2 gig and mine is only 950. Also, when I touch the heat sink, it is not hot at all. So, I doubt heat is the issue...

My power supply is 300 W. Might that be the issue? Does the cpu require a surge in power when executing stressing programs like video play? I thought the power consumption by a cpu was constant...

Please let me know what you think... this has been an annoying issue! ;(

thanks,
tom
February 18, 2002 6:27:24 AM

DMA? I am not sure... I definitely didn't change any hard drive settings when I changed cpu's. Can you explain why this would be an issue? I have two hard drives - one is only a year old, but the other is about 3 or 4 years old.

Thanks for any info...

Cheers,
tom
February 18, 2002 6:38:24 AM

Quote:
However, I did buy a fan that is rated for up to an Athlon 1.2 gig and mine is only 950. Also, when I touch the heat sink, it is not hot at all. So, I doubt heat is the issue...

A cool hsf can be a sign of poor contact between the core and the cpu.

Secondly, you said you had a duron, what kind of ram do you have, because your 950 is most likely a 133fsb chip, and if you had pc100 ram for the duron, the ram may not be able to handle the OC.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
February 18, 2002 6:44:13 AM

I found the DMA settings... they are checked "ON" ... this is correct, no?

cheers, tom
February 18, 2002 6:48:10 AM

Both the Duron and the Athlon are 200 FSB (the new Athlons are 266, but not the 950Mhz).

My memory is 256 + 128... both PC-133. The fsb jumper is set to 100 (to match the 200 fsb of the cpu).

I think this is ok, no?

I will check the contacts for the cpu though... I did think it was strange that it was "cool." Not sure what I can do though... the fan is on snug... and I used some sort of "heat dissipation gel" that came with it for the hsf/cpu contact...
February 18, 2002 11:23:47 AM

Your problem is most likely Chipset related.......

What motherboard are you using ?

Is it based on the Via KT133A ??!??

If so try installing the Latest Via 4-in-1 Drivers......

The best way to fix a lot of these issues is to first and formost....Format the primary HDD and re-install your OS....than DL and install the absolute latest drivers for all your hardware (one at a time) and give the MB a Bios update.....

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!
February 18, 2002 2:57:38 PM

I try to come to the forum daily, if I have enough spare time after school.

February 18, 2002 3:00:29 PM

Try if resetting the BIOS helps, maybe there is some setting in it that the Athlon doesn't like.

February 18, 2002 3:37:05 PM

may i ask a little question ?

why your advice is 3/4 to reformat the HD ?

i really want to know what ?

February 18, 2002 3:46:42 PM

The Motherboard is an IWILL KV-200R. The chipset is a Northbridge VIA KT8363

I don't think I want to reformat the HD - I don't see what that would do. I do have the latest BIOS installed...

You're right - it might be either a BIOS or a Win98 setting... just trying to figure out which setting ;(
February 18, 2002 10:23:32 PM

Any thoughts?
February 18, 2002 10:46:33 PM

yes.

February 18, 2002 10:59:30 PM

download a file from Internet needs very short cpu pw (& moreover very short resources).

if you freeze with often & regularly, it's not a HSF issue.

February 18, 2002 11:08:19 PM

have you tried to reset your bios ?

February 18, 2002 11:09:12 PM

Sounds like memory. If you go back to your old CPU - changing nothing else, does the problem disappear? If so, I'd say your CPU has a problem with the internal cache. You'll need to replace the CPU. If not, then you changed something when you replaced the CPU. Did you remove your RAM stick(s)? Maybe you fried one of them with static electricity. Did you have to remove and replace one of your AGP/PCI cards? Are they all correctly seated? Did one of your IDE cables come loose?

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.
February 18, 2002 11:09:32 PM

True. It tends to be though when I use something like DAP (Download Accelerator). When I just download a single-threaded file, it does not crash. But if I use DAP and download a file with 4 or more simultaneous connections, it sometimes freezes. However, this is not something that I can reproduce consistently. The video playback is assured to freeze the computer within 10 seconds.

Cheers, tom
February 18, 2002 11:14:24 PM

I will do this tonight. But, the BIOS should be fine... It was recently updated (about 2 weeks ago) and reset with the Duron.

When I reset the BIOS, the first step is to (under BIOS), "restore basic settings" and then "restore optomized settings."

Is the BIOS smart enough to know that the "optomized settings" of a Duron are different than an Athlon?

Meaning, will the "optomized settings" of a Duron be different than an Athlon? Will the motherboard's BIOS know that?

Cheers, tom
February 18, 2002 11:17:52 PM

The computer system is the same. The only thing I did was pop out the Duron 650 with an Athlon 950. If I put the Duron back in, there are no problems... No other changes were made...
February 18, 2002 11:31:10 PM

you have to <i>re-reset</i> it for your athlon (athlon # duron) & use
the "restore basic settings" first
(sometimes its also called "default setup" or "default settings" ).

then reboot & retest your comp.

<i>note:
if it's work fine, you can (next step) to change your bios with the "optimized settings" to boost your comp.</i>

February 19, 2002 2:20:33 AM

So I tried this, and no luck. Even with the CMOS reset and then the "fail-safe BIOS options" loaded, the same result: system freezes...

I downloaded speedfan to look at my Core voltages and temps.

The temps are below 30 degrees, so that's fine.

And the voltages:

Core = 1.77
3.3 = 3.39
5 = 4.95
12 = 12.11

Do these seem right? I am unsure what the Core voltage is supposed to be...
February 19, 2002 3:00:07 AM

the voltages are right.

you said previously that plugin back your duron take off the freeze.

moreover you're athlon cpu temp is around 30°C (as your mb) ?
if its the case & it stay around this temp, you can go back to your reseller to xchange your cpu. (apart if you have a water cooling system)

February 19, 2002 5:42:44 AM

You said you had pc-133. Is your bios memory timing set to 133?
When you boot up, what are your clock multiplier and FSB settings at? Its possible the duron had a different FSB/multiplier setting, and perhaps your bios/mobo didnt make the change as it should have.
Are your two memory sticks on the same kind? Ergo both unbuffered, non-parity, ecc or non-ecc. Both being pc-133 isnt always a garauntee they will work together. Can you tell us anything more about the memory type?
Does it freeze on ANY video file, or just one certain file?

I think you said the mobo temp was 30 degrees? Thats insanely cool for an Athlon chip. I think your temp reading has to be wrong. Anyone have any ideas what would cause it to read to temp as too cool?

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.
February 19, 2002 2:39:34 PM

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. You think it's the cpu? You think it's bad? I can only return the cpu if it is bad... actually, I'm really pissed at the company (zbuy.com) because the first pu I got from them didn't work at all... if it's the cpu *again* I'm gonna raise hell! ;(
February 19, 2002 2:56:12 PM

Well, SpeedFan gives 3 temp readings... not sure which is which... but they are:

I'll try the BIOS switch and see what happens. The fsb jumper is set to 100. This is correct though as the fsb for the cpu is 200. If I switch it to 133, it definitely won't work...

The memory sticks are both unbuffered, non-ECC, non-parity PC-133 SDRAM. They're both generic, but the same problem happens if I remove one of them... so it's not the interaction between the two. And it doesn't happen with the Duron, so I think memory is not the issue...
February 19, 2002 3:58:19 PM

may i ask a little question ?

why dont you read ALL the string before ?

February 19, 2002 4:00:45 PM

im very sorry but i think you can now <i>Hell</i> them.

February 19, 2002 5:23:36 PM

Quote:
Do you have the correct AGP miniport driver?

His mobo is VIA chipset based that cannot use AMD's driver.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
February 19, 2002 7:30:09 PM

Why my Advice is 3/4 reformat......what are you talking about ??!??

All i said is he should try to reformat, and if you'd like to be smart with me with that, I'll tell you why.....

I built a system for a friends, originally with a Duron 700Mhz Chip on an Asus A7V Motherboard.......well.....he wanted an upgrade, so we popped in a T-Bird 950 and what do you know......comp. starts to boot.....sometimes it would freeze, other times it would go into windows, run for a bit, than freeze......you know what we did to fix it.....just for the hell of it???? We formatted the HDD, and re-installed the OS......and you know what else.....it fixed the problem.....

NOW......again, have u tried installing the Latest Via 4-in-1 Drivers ????

Remember....your OS was originally installed with a Duron under the hood, so the OS COULD be getting confused as the NAME STRING has now changed........ESPECIALLY if your using an NT Based OS (Win 2K or Win XP) you can't swap out a CPU and replace it with something else of a different type......like going from Duron.....to an Athlon T-Bird....or going from a T-Bird to an XP..........believe me it wont work, you'll never even be able to get into the Desktop.....Maybe under Windows 98 or ME it'll work, but not NT Kernel based OS's....

Also....I didn't read you say you trying to swap the ram......try borrowing a stick of ram from a buddy and just try that in your board.......i know yours is rated for what you’re running, but hey, you never know...

OH and one more thing......someone mentioned that the cache could have a problem on your CPU.........try this...in your bios, there's most likely a few cache settings...

L1 Cache: Enable/Disable
L2 Cache: Enable/Disable
L2 ECC Checking: Enable/Disable

If there is that option (L2 ECC Checking) select Disable for it assuming it’s in the Enabled position already...than see if it makes any difference at all....

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!
February 19, 2002 7:30:09 PM

Dammit, how'd I double post ??? I only clicked on the button once.....<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by MeTaLrOcKeR on 02/19/02 04:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 19, 2002 8:05:13 PM

1. we don't advice someone in first <b>to TRY</b> to reformat its HD. IMO, its not acceptable.

2. he has Win98 & not NT Kernel.

3. he already had a cpu issue from his reseller.
maybe he handles a bad cpus <i>series</i> from his reseller ?
i don't know but i guess its the pb for now.

4. i think you cant have a cpu cache pb which you can correct with a bios issue. it works or not (as a cpu) but that's all, IMO...

<i>note: i accept (of course) to discuss about, its not a pb :) </i>

Labdog is your friend, he loves you, he thinks you are great.
February 19, 2002 8:22:59 PM

Quote:
I got my XP 1600+ OC'd to 150Mhz FSB and Max ram timings....1900+ for free....AND at default voltage..... =)~

Did I mention I use the ECS K7S5A ??? LoL well, you already knew that.....I just think its impressive.....especially for a non-overclockable MB.......

besides im really interesting by your rig.

February 19, 2002 9:26:23 PM

If you read a lot of posts, a lot of people say they should reformat......anyways, it was my last optiont hat i gave him anyways....its a matter of opinion......

Ok Mr. lapdog.......what are you interested in my rig about (in you Context on English of course) as the proper way would have been

"Besides, I'm very interested in your rig"

so, what about my Rig are you interested in ?

Give me your e-mail address and I'll send u SiSfot Sandra Screen Captrues......with MBM5 Dashboard open......id send a WCPUID screen shot, be seeign hwo it doesnt run on Win XP for some reason, I cant.....

-MeTaL RoCkEr

February 19, 2002 11:01:31 PM

& people not understand why there is so many <i>flames</i> on this forum ? lol

hmm, i think maybe i have to start again. :) 

no matter :) 

<i>lot of people opinion but not yours ?</i>

February 20, 2002 6:47:41 AM

Quote:
like going from Duron.....to an Athlon T-Bird....or going from a T-Bird to an XP..........believe me it wont work, you'll never even be able to get into the Desktop.....Maybe under Windows 98 or ME it'll work, but not NT Kernel based OS's

OK metal, i like ya man so it hurts to do this.

But, 2 weeks ago I fried my motherboard, I was putting a stick of ram in with the psu plugged in for static, and pushed to hard(damn kg7 so hard to get ram in) and shorted the mobo on the back of the case.

To make a long story short, the mobo was dead, and I got a new kg7, and learned my beloved axia 1.33ghz tbird was also dead(luckily the 512 megs of ram were ok).

So, I purchased an axp1700+, and installed it(got an alphapal8045 too w00t). I did not reinstall windows, It booted, there was a critical patch for axp on msupdate, I downloaded it, and everything is running perfectly fine.

I am running windows xp which is an ntkernal OS.

I dont know about 2k but upgrading to an axp for me from a tbird had no negative consequences...(except for the 300 bucks it cost me lol).

February 20, 2002 6:49:33 AM

Quote:
1. we don't advice someone in first to TRY to reformat its HD. IMO, its not acceptable.

Actually, if you do not have any issues with doing it(ie hard to transfer data and apps you cannot reinstall) formatting is not a bad first step, kind of cuts to the chase, if you format and reinstall and still have an issue, you have ELIMINATED all possible software causal factors and KNOW its hardware related.

February 20, 2002 9:17:31 AM

I also had a similar situation as <b>MeTaLrOcKeR</b>. When I changed my TBird 700@850MHz on A7V133 to TBird 1000@1400MHz, my Win 98 could no longer be boot (it was frozen at desktop) although Win 2000 (dual boot) was OK. I eventually had to reformat Win 98 partition and reinstall it. I'm still puzzled about it.

February 20, 2002 10:23:06 AM

Hmmm.....that's very interesting to say the least Mat........

I'm not goign to doubt you, but everytime I've ever upgraded a friends computer....whether ti was a T-Bird to got o XP or Duron to T-Bird etc.......the OS would NEVER boot.......but once we popped the old chip back in it was fine......

I personally had that problem on my computer about 2 weeks ago, i tryed popping in a friends T-Bird 800.....(already using XP 1600+ @ 1900+) and the computer would start to boot, than it would lock hard.......and BOSD.......

i popped my XP back in and it booted fine.......
Same thing happened to another friend with a Duron, 700 or 750 cant remember........we tryed popping in a T-Bird 950........onder Win2K......and it locked hard...BSOD......and that was it......

BTW.....re-installing the OS always made it work.......in all these situations :) 
(except the T-Bird 800 on my computer, i didnt wanna format my drive, there was no point, i was just trying to test the cpu) so I grabbed an old 4GB drive have, installed XP on there....ran fine.......

Anyways, swapping the board shouldnt eb a problem assuming its the exact same board........

I still think if he can, the original poster should try re-installing the OS......

-MeTaL RoCkEr

February 20, 2002 12:46:13 PM

may i suggest a little comment.

Quote:
(it was frozen at desktop)

1. the guy said this comp. freeze when he try to work with (a lot after boot).

2. when i upgraded my pc (Win98 OS), i upgrade the hardw first (with a A7v133). i have had a lot of pb but not this one. of course my case is just one case but i think, yes, you can puzzle about yours.

<i>note
i upgraded the OS with winXP in second.</i>

if you want, i can add some comments to help you with your Win98, but im not sure you're really interested of ? :) 

February 20, 2002 4:27:17 PM

The difference between my CPUs 700MHz and 1000MHz is the first runs at 100MHz FSB (same as his Athlon 950MHz) and the latter at increased speed 133MHz. My question lies in why Win 2000 still can work but not Win98.
Quote:
2. when i upgraded my pc (Win98 OS), i upgrade the hardw first (with a A7v133). i have had a lot of pb but not this one. of course my case is just one case but i think, yes, you can puzzle about yours.

I didn't have any problem when I upgraded to A7V133 (from A7V that didn't have problem installed it either) with Win98 just only when I changed from Athlon 700 to 1000.

February 20, 2002 5:19:59 PM

can you explain how a hd reformat+win98 same reinstall can correct a cpu issue ?

like you said it before, i think, yes, its a mystery.

February 20, 2002 5:45:41 PM

I believe it would get fixed by Re-installing the OS as the problem is situated somwhere in the OS thats specific to a piece of hardware....and USUALLY (not always, but most of the time) formatting, and re-isntalling the OS cures the problem......and if you don't believe what i just said, either try it yourself for the hell of it, or ask around the different forums, or just browse....a lot of problems people have that are related to swapping new hardware get fixed after they to a FRESH reinstall of the OS......

-MeTaL RoCkEr

February 20, 2002 6:00:13 PM

WTH, i know that for about 20 years !
(i know, now im another time a dude :) )

i just think your method is too "hard" for a first view.

no matter.

lets get dance. :smile:

February 20, 2002 6:09:09 PM

Well, again, I left it for a last case scenario......

Also, it shouldnt be that hard......all you really have to do is backup whatever it is that you want to keep......

Typing Format c: /u (in my case anyways, I always do unconditional formats, well back when i used Fat, Fat16, and Fat 32 Partitions anyways) is nto to ahrd si it ??? All ti requires is a Windows Boot Disk, or even a MS Dos Boot Disk....

Anyways, you know the process, therefore you should also know that it is not that difficult to do.....

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is your Primary Language you speek/write? Because sometimes it is very hard to understand what you are writting in your posts.

-MeTaL RoCkEr

!