G

Pondering buying a few cyrix chips and didn't know if any of you new how hot they ran compared to PIII chips. Is there any difference in heat? Thanks for your help in advance.

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
The latest VIA chip can supposedly get by with JUST a heatsink. No need for a fan.
They are apparently very cool running chips. HOWEVER...they are also relatively slow compared to P3's or Athlons of the same speed

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They produce much less heat, probaly around (guessing) 1/2 the heat of the PIII at around 1/2 the performance of the PIII. VIA made them run cool by making them run slow, I think they must perform many fewer operations per cycle than the PIII, and are considered much worse than even equally clocked Celerons for performance.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm trying to remember how many stages are in the pipeline, seems its between the PIII and P4.
I'm thinking about picking one up one day if I can find it cheap, just so I'll have one to play with.

<i>Better to be silent and thought an idiot than to speak and remove all doubt.</i>

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
from the benchmarks I've seen, the Cyrix 800 is about equal to a Celeron 266 in most ways...
I just want to play with one, kind of like a Pentium class processor on a modern day chipset...
plus, .15 micron and little heat output, it'd probably overclock like hell, then it *might* even be as fast as a Celeron 300A... lol

<i>Better to be silent and thought an idiot than to speak and remove all doubt.</i>

10Mhz8086

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
A cyrix CPU can run with just a heatsink and no fan. It can even run with out a heatsink but its not reconmended.
I saw a video clip of someone taking off the HSF from a Cyrix and a Celeron at the same time, a few seconds later the Celeron system locked up while the Cyrix machine ran like the energizer bunny.

But, at the same speed of a celeron its really slow for games, about half as slow. But for standard office apps and surfing you should be ok.

<i>"The FAA issued a wind sheer warning for my PC, I think I may have one to many fans in it..."</i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That would be a hoot! An OC'd Cyrix III at 1100MHz, producing Celeron 466 performance, at Celeron 466 heat output, for the same price as a Celeron 900! What a bargain, no wonder they sell so well in Asia!

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yea, I know. the price is what screws it up now, if it were comparable to the processing power, it'd be ok...
and I think you're a tad optimistic about its performance... lol
I'll find one for damn near free one day and I'll grab it just for kicks, that's all I'm talking about.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You know these things would be almost perfect for industrial coputers, aka PLC's, in sealed cases, with the case acting as the only sink. As long as they weren't buggy (VIA not buggy?). LOL!

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the not buggy part is what worries me...
its not like I'll be using a Via chipset anyway, good ol' 440BX or 815B... just depends on what I have on hand at the time...
I like the BX, but its been cooked...
what is the terminal temp for a chipset?

G

So basically what u guys are all saying that for heat cyrix is good & and for speed it's a MUST!!!

Confused, that's because sarcasm is really hard to get accross when typing.

Anyhoo, I wanted these cyrix chips to run workstations, so they'll probably be ok, even though they are much slower.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There is really no point to buy a Cyrix. It is true that they run very cool, but why does that really matter? For the same price you could get a Duron 900-950, which will be much, much faster. Or, even get a lower clocked Celeron and still have a better performing chip. Plus, I don't trust the reliability of the Cyrix too much because of past experiences. They may be okay, but when you're dealing with "clone" CPUs, you may get yourself into a world of trouble if everything doesn't work the way it should. I say go for a Duron or Celeron for the same price.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the Cyrix is slow, but produces little heat.
It just doesn't have any processing power.
It is honestly comparable to a Pentium.
I wouldn't bother with a Cyrix processor for an actual computer unless its like Crashman was saying, something where it HAD to be silent, or somewhere where you cannot cool it properly.
I just want to play with one, not like I think it will be worth a crap, its just too slow.