Hp pavilion recall list

Status
Not open for further replies.

HPunhappy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I would like to find out where the HP dv6000 recall list is posted? Also, I am interested in signing up for a class action law suit due to my motherboard crashing and the vista program issues. I could not get any help for HP tech support and they finished my conversation by telling me that my computer can not be repaired. They also would not offer any other incentives to purchase another. Does anyone know where I need to go for this information?
Thanks for any help you can give.

bnorhaug

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012

Hi, I am in the same boat as you, I purchased a dv6700 HP laptop for my daughter for College and the monitor goes black sometimes with lines in it
Have you found out if there is a lawsuit against HP
Thanks
Bill

Illion

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Hi, I had a major problem with my dv6000z two or so years ago, first the wireless card stopped being recognized and then finally the whole computer crashed, and I don't mean software. BIOS won't even load up when the computer boots, the only thing that happens is the fan turns on, as well as the blue quickplay lights. I literally tried all the troubleshooting I could find on HP's website and through searching the net. Took the laptop apart, unplugged and plugged back in components they said to, reformatted, did drivers, did BIOS updates, etc. Nothing fixed my wireless card and I found out that many other people had the same problem. Then a little after that is when the whole computer just died. From the countless hours I spent researching it, from what I could tell it was the motherboard. Some people even reported that they sent it in to HP to be fixed under their warranty and it was still broke when they got it back, and in most of these cases they said HP was replacing the motherboard. I had received an email from them(or someone related to the lawsuit and recall) around a year ago, here it is, I should have signed up for it but didn't. I don't know if there is anything we can do now but hopefully there is because I didn't have mine for too long before it had some major problems.

This one was received on November 3 2010 from the email address:

DoNotReply@NVIDIASettlement.Vertismail.com

If you purchased certain models of notebook computers containing an NVIDIA graphics processing unit or media and communications processor, you could be entitled to benefits under a class action settlement.

You may have previously received a notice of a settlement of a class action lawsuit (The NVIDIA GPU Litigation, Case No. 08-cv-04312-JW) relating to the NVIDIA chips inside certain Dell, Hewlett-Packard ("HP"), and Apple notebook computers because you were identified as owning an HP notebook computer.

This updated notice is to inform you that the settlement has been expanded to include additional Product Identification Numbers for several of the HP notebook computer models affected by the settlement. Therefore, regardless of whether you previously checked the settlement website to determine whether your Product Identification Number is included, please do so again. Product Identification Numbers have been added, and some computers that were not previously included in the settlement are now included.

If you choose to file a claim, you will still need to complete a Claim Form and provide the required information, but you may not be required to provide a Product Identification Number, depending on the model that you are claiming.

This is a summary of the Full Notice. Click here to visit the settlement website to obtain the Full Notice. Do not reply to this email. Replies will not be read.

The United States District Court for the Northern District of California, San Jose Division, authorized this Notice.
This is not a solicitation from a lawyer.

Who is Affected by this Updated Notice?

All United States residents who purchased in the United States an HP notebook computer listed in the Table of Class Computers and containing an NVIDIA MCP or GPU. These individuals are referred to as "Class Members" in this Notice.

What Can You Get From the Proposed Settlement?

Class Members who file an approved claim will be entitled to:

1. Replacement of the NVIDIA graphics processing unit or media and communications processor, which are referred to in this Notice as the "chips" if you purchased a version of certain models of notebook computers manufactured by Dell, Inc. or Apple Inc. containing one of the NVIDIA chips; or

2. A Replacement notebook computer similar in kind and value if you purchased a version of certain models of notebook computers manufactured by HP containing one of the NVIDIA chips; or

3. Reimbursement of amounts paid for repairs related to problems with the NVIDIA chips. NVIDIA will fund $2 million from which reimbursements will be made. The amount paid may depend on the number of reimbursement claims received.

NVIDIA is providing these benefits to members of the class, and is funding the settlement. Dell, HP and Apple are not parties to this lawsuit.

How Do You Receive a Benefit?

You must first qualify for filing a claim, and then file an approved claim with supporting documentation during the Claim Period. To qualify for a replacement as described in numbers 1 and 2 above, your notebook computer must be one of the Dell, HP or Apple notebook computer models listed in the Table of Class Computers, contain an NVIDIA MCP or GPU, and be exhibiting one of the symptoms listed in the Table of Identified Symptoms. To qualify for a reimbursement as described in number 3 above, your notebook computer must be listed in the Table of Class Computers, contain an NVIDIA MCP or GPU, and must have been repaired because it was exhibiting one of the symptoms listed in the Table of Identified Symptoms. The Claim Period will begin after the Court grants final approval of the Settlement. Whether or not the Court has granted final approval, the Claim Period dates and further instru ctions for how to qualify and file a claim will be posted at the settlement website (www.NVIDIASettlement.com) and at the toll-free telephone support line (1-877-440-7557).

Register Your Email Address To Receive an Alert When the Claim Period Begins.

To receive an email alert when the Claim Period begins, between now and December 20, 2010, visit www.NVIDIASettlement.com and register your email address. If you previously received an emailed notice about this settlement, there is no need to register.

What Are Your Options?

If you are a Class Member who received this updated notice and purchased an HP notebook computer and you don't want to receive a replacement or reimbursement as described above and you don't want to be legally bound by the settlement, you must exclude yourself by December 9, 2010, or you won't be able to sue, or continue to sue, NVIDIA about the legal claims in this case. If you exclude yourself, you can't receive a replacement or reimbursement under this settlement. If you purchased an HP notebook computer, have received this updated notice and remain a Class Member, you may object to the settlement by December 9, 2010. The Full Notice describes how to exclude yourself or object. The Court will hold a hearing in this case (The NVIDIA GPU Litigation, Case No. 08-cv-04312-JW) on December 20, 2010, to consider whether to approve the settlement and attorneys' fees and expenses in the am ount of $13 million. You may appear at the hearing, but you don't have to. For more details, call toll-free 1-877-440-7557, go to www.NVIDIASettlement.com, or write to NVIDIA GPU Litigation Settlement Administrator, P.O. Box 6177, Novato, CA 94948-6177.

This is only a summary of the Full Notice. Please visit www.NVIDIASettlement.com or call 1-877-440-7557 to obtain a copy of the Full Notice.

Table of Class Computers

The following notebook computer models are included in the settlement if they contain an NVIDIA GPU or MCP and were purchased in the time period corresponding to each Product Identification Number:

Mfr.
Platform Name
Purchase Date Ranges

Dell
Inspiron 1420
May 2007 – September 30, 2008

Dell
Inspiron 9400/E1705
March 2006 – February 28, 2010

Dell
Latitude D620
December 2005 – November 30, 2008

Dell
Latitude D630
February 2007 – September 30, 2008

Dell
Latitude D630c
February 2007 – September 30, 2008

Dell
Latitude D820
November 2005 – March 31, 2008

Dell
Latitude D830
March 2007 – September 30, 2008

Dell
Precision M2300
August 2007 – September 30, 2008

Dell
Precision M4300

Dell
Precision M6300
December 2007 – March 31, 2009

Dell
Precision M65
November 2005 – January 31, 2008

Dell
Vostro 1700

Dell
Vostro Notebook 1310
December 2007 – September 30, 2008

Dell
Vostro Notebook 1400
May 2007 – September 30, 2008

Dell
Vostro Notebook 1510
December 2007 – September 30, 2008

Dell
Vostro Notebook 1710
January 2008 – July 31, 2008

Dell
XPS M1210
March 2006 – November 30, 2008

Dell
XPS M1330

Dell
XPS M1530
September 2007 – January 31, 2009

Dell
XPS M1710
March 2006 – February 28, 2010

Dell
XPS M1730
November 2007 – January 31, 2009

Dell
XPS1710
March 2006 – April 30, 2009

HP
Compaq Presario v30xx
March 2006 – October 31, 2008

HP
Compaq Presario v31xx

HP
Compaq Presario v32xx

HP
Compaq Presario v33xx

HP
Compaq Presario v34xx

HP
Compaq Presario v60xx
May 2006 – October 31, 2008

HP
Compaq Presario v61xx

HP
Compaq Presario v62xx

HP
Compaq Presario v63xx

HP
Compaq Presario v64xx

HP
Compaq Presario F500
October 2006 – September 30, 2008

HP
Pavilion dv20xx
March 2006 – December 31, 2008

HP
Pavilion dv21xx

HP
Pavilion dv22xx

HP
Pavilion dv23xx

HP
Pavilion dv24xx

HP
Pavilion dv60xx
May 2006 – April 30, 2009

HP
Pavilion dv61xx

HP
Pavilion dv62xx

HP
Pavilion dv63xx

HP
Pavilion dv64xx

HP
Pavilion dv90xx
May 2006 – November 30, 2008

HP
Pavilion dv92xx

HP
Pavilion dv93xx

HP
Pavilion dv94xx

HP
Pavilion tx1xxx
March 2007 – May 31, 2008

Apple
MacBook Pro (15-inch)
May 2007 – September 2008

Apple
MacBook Pro (17-inch)
May 2007 – September 2008

Identified Symptoms per Settlement Agreement §1.14

Symptom
Class Computer Models Covered
by the Settlement Agreement

Distorted or scrambled video on the notebook computer screen
All

No video on the notebook computer screen even when the notebook computer is on
All

Random characters, lines or garbled images on the notebook computer screen
Dell, Hewlett-Packard

Intermittent video issues
Dell, Hewlett-Packard

Failure to detect the wireless adaptor

or

Failure to detect the wireless network
Hewlett-Packard systems only.
Certain versions of the following HP models do not contain an NVIDIA MCP:
dv2xxx
dv6xxx
dv9xxx
If your system does not contain an NVIDIA MCP, you are not entitled to replacement or reimbursement for a wireless problem, and the administrator may deny your claim.

www.NVIDIASettlement.com 1-877-440-7557

The United States District Court for the Northern District of California, San Jose Division, has ordered this email notice be sent. If you wish to UNSUBSCRIBE from future email messages please click here.

Illion

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
I have another email from them, it was the last I received, I hope it's alright to post these as I realize they are a bit long. I hope this helps. I never heard anything after this but then again I didn't enter the lawsuit either, wish I had.

received on January 12 2011 by DoNotReply@NVIDIASettlement.Vertismail.com

Hello,

This email is to inform you that the claims phase of the NVIDIA GPU class action settlement begins on January 13, 2011.

On December 20, 2010, the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, San Jose Division, approved the NVIDIA GPU Litigation class action settlement. If you are eligible, you may now file a claim. To file a claim or obtain other details about the settlement, visit www.NVIDIASettlement.com, or call toll-free 1-877-440-7557.

Please note that the deadline for submitting a valid Claim Form and supporting documentation is March 14, 2011.

IMPORTANT NOTES FOR CLASS MEMBERS WITH DELL OR APPLE NOTEBOOK COMPUTERS WHO WISH TO FILE A CLAIM FOR A REPLACEMENT NVIDIA CHIP:

1) Do not send your notebook computer anywhere until AFTER your claim is approved. The Settlement Administrator will notify you in writing whether your claim has been approved or denied. If your claim is approved, the Settlement Administrator will send you instructions and shipping materials for when, where and how to submit your Dell or Apple notebook computer for repair. Follow the instructions sent by the Settlement Administrator - DO NOT send your computer to a service provider or retail store. Your notebook computer may be tested to verify whether it is exhibiting the symptoms described on your Claim Form.

2) The repair remedy offered in the settlement in the NVIDIA GPU class action covers only the NVIDIA GPU or MCP or motherboard component of a Class Computer. If your Class Computer malfunction is caused by something other than the NVIDIA component, the replacement of the NVIDIA chip or motherboard may not resolve the problems that your Class Computer may be experiencing and you may be responsible for costs to resolve problems that are not resolved by replacement of the NVIDIA chip or motherboard, if you choose to seek additional repairs. If problems are identified that are not resolved by replacement of the NVIDIA chip or motherboard, you will be contacted first before repairs are made for your authorization. You are responsible for any associated charges to complete repairs that are not covered by the settlement. To receive the repair remedy offered by this settlement, you must sign the Oath on the Claim Form.

3) Do not mail in a notebook computer that does not match the computer on your approved Claim Form. If you submit a notebook computer that does not match the computer identified on your Claim Form, the Settlement Administrator will not be able to approve your claim, and you will not receive a replacement NVIDIA chip or motherboard. If you return a computer other than the one identified in your approved Claim Form, you will be responsible for paying for return shipment within 60 days of notification of the return shipping cost, or your computer may be treated as abandoned, and be discarded or destroyed.

4) You are responsible for protecting or backing up all personal information from your personal computer prior to mailing the computer for repair. By sending in your computer, you agree that neither NVIDIA nor the Settlement Administrator is responsible for your data, and shall have no liability if your data is lost, damaged, destroyed, or disseminated. Please take appropriate steps to preserve your data before sending in your computer.

5) It is strongly recommended that you mail your computer within 7 days of receiving the shipping materials and instructions to avoid delays in processing your repair. In any event, repairs or replacements will not be authorized for computers received after July 18, 2011. If your computer is not received before this date your claim may be denied.

CLAIM FORM OATH (for Apple and Dell claimants claiming a replacement NVIDIA chip or motherboard)

I declare under the penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the foregoing is true and correct. Also, by submitting the Claim Form, I consent to the jurisdiction of the Court in this matter. I also understand that I am responsible for any associated charges to complete repairs that are not covered by the settlement, but that these repairs will not be performed without my prior authorization.

IMPORTANT NOTES FOR CLASS MEMBERS WITH HP NOTEBOOK COMPUTERS WHO WISH TO FILE A CLAIM FOR A REPLACEMENT COMPUTER:

1) Please do not send your HP notebook computer anywhere until AFTER your claim is approved. The Settlement Administrator will notify you in writing whether your claim has been approved or denied. If your claim is approved, the Settlement Administrator will send you shipping materials and instructions for when, where and how to submit your HP notebook computer. The Settlement Administrator may test to verify whether your notebook computer is exhibiting the symptoms described on your Claim Form.

2) Do not mail in an HP notebook computer that does not match the computer on your approved Claim Form. If you submit a notebook computer that does not match the computer identified on your Claim Form, the Settlement Administrator will not be able to approve your claim, and you will not receive a replacement computer. If you return a computer other than the one identified in your approved Claim Form, you will be responsible for paying for return shipment within 60 days of notification of the return shipping cost, or your computer may be treated as abandoned, and be discarded or destroyed.

3) You are responsible for removing all personal information from your personal computer prior to mailing the computer to the Settlement Administrator. Unfortunately, neither the Settlement Administrator nor NVIDIA can help you recover or preserve any personal information or files that you may have stored on your computer. It therefore is important that you remove or preserve this information before you send in your computer. The Settlement Administrator and NVIDIA are not responsible for clearing personal or other data or files from the notebook computers that are submitted, or for any damage, loss, destruction, use, or harm to such data. By sending in your computer, you agree that neither NVIDIA nor the Settlement Administrator is responsible for your data, and shall have no liability if your data is lost, damaged, destroyed, or disseminated. To receive the replacement remedy offered by this settlement, you must sign the Release and Oath on the Claim Form. Please take appropriate steps to preserve your data before sending in your computer.

4) It is strongly recommended that you mail your computer within 7 days of receiving the shipping materials and instructions to avoid delays in processing your replacement. In any event, replacements will not be authorized for computers received after July 18, 2011. If your computer is not received before this date your claim may be denied.

CLAIM FORM RELEASE

By completing and signing the Claim Form, I agree that any Class Computer mailed by me in accordance with instructions provided me by the Settlement Administrator in connection with the settlement in the NVIDIA GPU Litigation, Case No. 08-CV-04312 JW, pending in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, will be processed in accordance with the terms of the settlement, and that my returned HP/Compaq Class Computer or any of its components, may be removed, destroyed or recycled. I understand and agree that the Class Computer, including but not limited to any and all data, files, information, pictures, documents or software stored or contained in the Class Computer (including partially deleted or recoverable data) (collectively, “Files”) may be damaged or destroyed as part of the repair or replacement process, and agree that I am responsible for taking steps to save and preserve all Files before shipping my Class Computer as part of the settlement. I understand and agree that neither the Settlement Administrator nor NVIDIA, or their employees or agents, shall be liable for any damage or destruction of the Class Computer or any Files that may remain on hard-disk drives, storage drives or other media that are part of the Computer Equipment. By completing and signing this form, I acknowledge the risks associated with shipping a Class Computer, including that it may become damaged in transit, and agree to accept sole responsibility for any damage or destruction of the Class Computer and all Files that may be stored on the Class Computer.

By shipping my Class Computer for repair or replacement as part of the settlement, I knowingly, voluntarily and expressly waive any and all claims on behalf of myself and my heirs, administrators, executors, and assigns and hereby release, hold harmless and forever discharge the Settlement Administrator and NVIDIA Corporation, and their affiliates and contractors and each of their respective owners, directors, managers, officers, agents, and employees (the “Released Parties”), from any and all claims, demands, and causes of action, of whatever kind or nature, including in law or in equity, arising from, or in any way relating to the Class Computer or Files, including, without limitation, the possession, shipping, transport, storage, handling, processing, use, misuse, disclosure, destruction, or recycling of such Class Computer or any Files contained thereon (collectively, “Claims”). I further expressly waive my right to bring a legal action of any kind, in any court or agency, for any of the Claims released.

It is my intention that the foregoing releases shall be effective as a bar to any and all Claims, known or unknown, suspected or unsuspected. Therefore, I expressly waive any and all rights and benefits conferred upon me by the provisions of Section 1542 of the California Civil Code or similar provisions of applicable law which are as follows:

“A general release does not extend to claims which the creditor does not know or suspect to exist in his favor at the time of executing the release, which if known by him must have materially affected his settlement with the debtor.”

I expressly agree that this waiver and release is intended to be as broad and inclusive as permitted by applicable law, and that if any portion herein is held to be invalid or unenforceable, the balance shall continue in full legal force and effect. I have carefully read this waiver and release, understand the contents herein, and am executing it voluntarily and of my own free will.

CLAIM FORM OATH (for HP claimants claiming a replacement computer)

I declare under the penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the foregoing is true and correct. Also, by submitting the Claim Form, I consent to the jurisdiction of the Court in this matter.

To determine if you are eligible, file a claim or obtain other details about the settlement, visit www.NVIDIASettlement.com, or call toll-free 1-877-440-7557.

Sincerely,
NVIDIA GPU Litigation Settlement Administrator

www.NVIDIASettlement.com 1-877-440-7557

The United States District Court of the Northern District of California, San Jose Division, has ordered this email notice be sent. If you wish to UNSUBSCRIBE from future email messages please click here.

NYCdudeInVA

Honorable
May 22, 2012

Good day. I TOO have a HP DV6000 and JUST found out that there was a recall. Both the contact number and the website are no longer active! HELP!!!

Former HP Customer

Honorable
May 30, 2012

Hey:
Kind of unrelated.
Just to let all of you know that I had problems with my Pavilion Notebook about midway through the warranty coverage period. I was in China at the time when I needed service. On the third attempt to have my screan shutdown problem fixed, had to arrange to pick up my machine in another city as I was traveling. A very trivial dispute arose which involved a property custody issue which had already been resolved by HP in Beijing and the original warranty document. When I went to leave the service center, the manager locked the door and held me and my colleague hostage for over five hours. He then called his local friend, the police captain to come to the store and harass both of us. The police captain and his deputies repeatedly told my female Chinese colleague that she was a whore for associating with a foreigner and insisted that she was nothong more than an unloyal piece of Chinese garbage without enough shame to be permitted to call herself Chinese. The United States Embassy had to get involved as did a number of local Chinese just to get HP to unlock the door and let us out of the store. A woman named Ivy Chen, a manager in the HP customer service department for China got involved and tried her best to deal with the matter over the next few months. The main issue was still one of a broken machine, by the way. After getting my machine back several months later and never receiving an explanation about what had happened in the HP service center, my machine broke again; exact same problem. Up until this point, I had been among the most loyal of all HP customers. Even before the HP-Compaq merger, all of my equipment was either HP (printers) or Compaq (desktops and notebooks). Since then, me and my colleagues have stopped using HP equipment entirely. It's absolute crap, and the company has no connection whatsoever with its customers. It's front line operating units are not skilled professionals as was the case more than a decade ago, and the commitment to product quality simply does not exist. I would never forgive HP for treating me and my patient, hard-working, honest female colleague this way. The equipment they make now constitutes nothing more than an assortment of cheap, ightweight accessory items that the company uses to steal from its shrinking base of loyal customers. If you own a piece of working HP equipment, especially a printer, congratulations. At one time HP was a great company with great ideas and products. But if you are considering purchaing new equipment for yourself, your company or a family member, look elsewhere, NOMATTER HOW ATTRACTIVE THE PROMOTION. HP EQUIPMENT IS DOGSHIT!

Status
Not open for further replies.