Quick Question about a laptop...purchase....

Hi all,
I have a couple questions about purchasing a Laptop.

I had a C600 Latitude that had 850MHZ pentium processor in it. I also
had a docking station, that I purchased, for this unit as well. My
previous employer (M$) had us turn all of our equipment, which also
included another docking station that was theirs, in when they closed
up our building. I am now working for a new company and I am wanting
the flexibility of a laptop back.

Anyways, I am in the market for a sub $900 laptop, can be used or a
new unit that can do the following.

I need it to be able to read CD, DVD, floppy (I do not care for a
burner as I own externals of each) and either a built in Wireless or a
PCMCIA slot so I can install a wireless adapter. Also a wired NIC
10/100 port would be required as well. I also would like it to be able
to have around 30 preferrably 40 gig hard drive. USB is desired as I
have a USB camera. The unit needs to be able to run (smoothly?)Windows
XP, Visual Studio .net, and SQL server for development purposes only.
I was doing this before on the c600.

I would like to to get a dell and use my docking station, as I have a
few bucks in that already, but I would like to have a little more
processor power 1.0Ghz or better and 512 ram. As far as battery life
and all that this unit will mostly used were plugs are excessible if
needed.

So
1) Is it possible to still use my docking station and get a faster
processor and if so what is the top processor possible for this
docking station?

2) Or should I just buy a completely different machine that is not
compatible with my current docking station?

Thanks,
Chris
SolomonMan

On 14 Oct 2004 13:12:07 -0700, Chris Gray <solomon_man@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I had a C600 Latitude that had 850MHZ pentium processor in it. I also
> had a docking station, that I purchased, for this unit as well. My
> previous employer (M$) had us turn all of our equipment, which also
> included another docking station that was theirs, in when they closed
> up our building. I am now working for a new company and I am wanting
> the flexibility of a laptop back.

> Anyways, I am in the market for a sub $900 laptop, can be used or a
> new unit that can do the following.

> I need it to be able to read CD, DVD, floppy (I do not care for a
> burner as I own externals of each) and either a built in Wireless or a
> PCMCIA slot so I can install a wireless adapter. Also a wired NIC
> 10/100 port would be required as well. I also would like it to be able
> to have around 30 preferrably 40 gig hard drive. USB is desired as I
> have a USB camera. The unit needs to be able to run (smoothly?)Windows
> XP, Visual Studio .net, and SQL server for development purposes only.
> I was doing this before on the c600.

> I would like to to get a dell and use my docking station, as I have a
> few bucks in that already, but I would like to have a little more
> processor power 1.0Ghz or better and 512 ram. As far as battery life
> and all that this unit will mostly used were plugs are excessible if
> needed.

> So
> 1) Is it possible to still use my docking station and get a faster
> processor and if so what is the top processor possible for this
> docking station?

> 2) Or should I just buy a completely different machine that is not
> compatible with my current docking station?

A used C600 from Dell Financial services? I've purchased used C800's
and I8000's from them:
DFS Direct Sales:
http://www.dfsdirectsales.com/dfsdirect/
They haven't got any WinXP C600's right now, but they have WinXP
C610's. Can C610's use the same docking station as a C600?

Or even cheaper:
DFS Sales on eBay:
http://stores.ebay.com/Dell-Financial-Services
Same story: no WinXP C600's right now, but many C610's.

Of course, eBay has many sellers of C600's, but make sure you get a
return guarantee.

--
Dale Dellutri <ddelQQQlutr@panQQQix.com> (lose the Q's)

Dale Dellutri <ddelQQQlutr@panQQQix.com> wrote in message news:<ckmn9c$nl6$1@reader2.panix.com>...
> On 14 Oct 2004 13:12:07 -0700, Chris Gray <solomon_man@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I had a C600 Latitude that had 850MHZ pentium processor in it. I also
> > had a docking station, that I purchased, for this unit as well. My
> > previous employer (M$) had us turn all of our equipment, which also
> > included another docking station that was theirs, in when they closed
> > up our building. I am now working for a new company and I am wanting
> > the flexibility of a laptop back.
>
> > Anyways, I am in the market for a sub $900 laptop, can be used or a
> > new unit that can do the following.
>
> > I need it to be able to read CD, DVD, floppy (I do not care for a
> > burner as I own externals of each) and either a built in Wireless or a
> > PCMCIA slot so I can install a wireless adapter. Also a wired NIC
> > 10/100 port would be required as well. I also would like it to be able
> > to have around 30 preferrably 40 gig hard drive. USB is desired as I
> > have a USB camera. The unit needs to be able to run (smoothly?)Windows
> > XP, Visual Studio .net, and SQL server for development purposes only.
> > I was doing this before on the c600.
>
> > I would like to to get a dell and use my docking station, as I have a
> > few bucks in that already, but I would like to have a little more
> > processor power 1.0Ghz or better and 512 ram. As far as battery life
> > and all that this unit will mostly used were plugs are excessible if
> > needed.
>
> > So
> > 1) Is it possible to still use my docking station and get a faster
> > processor and if so what is the top processor possible for this
> > docking station?
>
> > 2) Or should I just buy a completely different machine that is not
> > compatible with my current docking station?
>
> A used C600 from Dell Financial services? I've purchased used C800's
> and I8000's from them:
> DFS Direct Sales:
> http://www.dfsdirectsales.com/dfsdirect/
> They haven't got any WinXP C600's right now, but they have WinXP
> C610's. Can C610's use the same docking station as a C600?
>
> Or even cheaper:
> DFS Sales on eBay:
> http://stores.ebay.com/Dell-Financial-Services
> Same story: no WinXP C600's right now, but many C610's.
>
> Of course, eBay has many sellers of C600's, but make sure you get a
> return guarantee.

Thanks for the Info....

The Windows being installed is no big deal, I have more then a few
copies of WinXP and Windows 2003 Server running around. The big
question is will my Docking station work with a C610. Does anyone know
what will work with a typical C600 docking station. I can get the
model number from the Docking station if that is any help.

Thanks,
Chris