AMDs Jerry Sanders speaks..

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
At a Conference Call for fourth quarter 2001, Jerry Sanders (CEO) spoke about the state of business for AMD. A C.C. is where executives give info about the business to investors ( i think). Here are some snippets:

." Let me repeat: AMD's total growth in absolute dollars exceeded Intel's while they were on an acquisition spree and AMD divested itself of its voice communication and programmable logic business. The reason is our success in PC processors. Anyone who believes Intel is not losing share to AMD must also believe in the tooth fairy. Competition is good, and AMD is good competition.."

Hector Ruiz: "In addition, we started silicon in the fourth quarter on our leading edge 130nm SOI technology. This is a technology that is -- will be used for our first lots of 64-bit Hammer products, where first silicon out is imminent. "

Q&A session: Hector & Jerry of AMD: Ken is some bank guy.

<Hector> Our mirror-bit technology continues to be on plan, we are seeing silicon in this quarter, expect to qualify by the end of the second quarter and we are planning for shipment for revenue in the second half of the year. The technology is around 170nm and is being developed and started manufacturing in our Fab 25 in Austin, Texas.

<Ken> Ok, great. And is the plan still on for Fab 25 to be completely converted over to Flash?

<Jerry> Absolutely.
Jerry:
"..And so we did not ship as many Durons as we normally would have expected to yet we sold virtually every Athlon XP we could make..

"...we were selling to Daimler Chrysler, Bowing, to the Department of the Navy, Dow Chemical, Bank of America, Electronic Arts, they are all using our MP processors"

(so much for AMD not being a corporate IT chip :p )

Rob:
"..we will close the year are right around or just over 20% share of the x86 processor market and that to me is whether you include or exclude X-Box for the time being."

Jerry on SOI again: "we expect to have 100% of our wafer starts converted to 130nm technology by the end of the year and I think that is conservative.."

"We are now supplying substantial numbers of products to people like Fujitsu Siemens in Europe for the commercial market, to NEC-CI in the commercial market outside of the United States, to Fujitsu and NEC in Japan"

"It is our corporate strategy to always ensure that we have a chipset available when the processor is available and we will have such a chipset available from AMD. [when hammer premeires]"

Someone help me here:
we would rather put our energy behind those activities, then going into Asia and special deal where Intel had been making what we considered to be irrational offers based on what we assume to be a desperate move to be able to claim to you guys that they are not losing marketing share. "

What did intel do in Asia? The link for the ENTIRE conference call is here <A HREF="http:// www.jc-news.com/parse.cgi?pc/AMD/CC/2001Q4 " target="_new">http:// www.jc-news.com/parse.cgi?pc/AMD/CC/2001Q4 </A>
someone check it out and tell me what contract or deal with intel they are talking about..

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by texas_techie on 02/18/02 06:41 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.jc-news.com/parse.cgi?pc/AMD/CC/2001Q4" target="_new">- Click -</A>

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?