skimzzz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
I have a p3 coppermine 667. I am looking at some p2/p3 mobos which say they support up to p3 600 mhz. I wonder if my p3 is compatible with these mobos as is or even underclocked.

Are coppermines compatible with katmai designed mobos?

Also, as a general rule, if you have an advance CPU, and assuming your are working with compatible slots/sockets, are the newer CPUs backward compatible with the older mobos with underclocking? Other than CPU speed and FSB, what other factors of a CPU desing would make it incompatible?

thx

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
A board which supports any Coppermine CPU should support all coppermine CPUs, as well as Katmai CPUs. A board designed to support Katmai CPUs does not necessarily support Coppermine CPUs, however. I suspect the board you're looking at will not support Coppermines at all. Even underclocking your Coppermine probably won't help, due to different voltage requirements and Intel's multiplier lock.

Same goes with Tualatin CPUs. Most Tualatin-ready motherboards will support Coppermine CPUs as well, but motherboards designed for Coppermine CPUs won't necessarily support Tualatins.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?