Win7 takes too much RAM idle.

MoarPony

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Okay, so I know the title says "idle" but it's even after I boot up.
So RIGHT after I boot up I check the task manager to see how much RAM is being used, and it's ALMOST ALWAYS 45% or more (I have 3 GB of RAM in total, so this is using around 1.35-1.5 GB of RAM right after boot-up).
I have already gone into my services thing and disabled all the things that I believed I wouldn't need or set it to manual, I have already deleted programs and files that I do not need, and I have blocked programs that I don't need from starting at boot.
But even still, it uses that much RAM. What else can I do to use less RAM?
(Oh, and my boot-up time is between 3 to 5 minutes. How can I speed this up? Pentium Dual-Core E6600)

quas

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2012
Seems like there's too many data cluttered in the hard drive. Maybe you should reformat and re-install everything. Also, you can try speeding things up with an SSD.

MoarPony

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

Ermm my HDD has a total capacity of 913 GB, and I still have 691 GB free. It used to be around 600 GB free, but I freed up 95 GB and then filled up another 4 GB. So I'm using barely over 220 GB in total. Would that still make the data cluttered? I defrag regularly, clean regularly, and check for viruses a little too much ):

MoarPony

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

I don't have a video card. It's Intel G41 Express Chipset (integrated graphics). And as for if it's using any system RAM, I'm not sure (I'm not techie enough). I bought this computer pre-built by the factory.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
Windows normally uses about 1.5-2GB of memory right from start-up. My computer is currently using about 2.1 GB with Internet Explorer and Windows Live Mail running. There are also three or four background apps running in the system tray in addition to the ones that are there by default. Your system sounds like it is doing exactly what it should. The fact that the amount used adds up to 45% of the total available is because your system has only 3GB to start with. If you start running out of memory you may need to upgrade the RAM to 8GB, however, it will still use the same amount of memory. You will just have more available.

MoarPony

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Unfortunately for me I can only upgrade up to 4 GB of RAM, even though I have x64 Windows (due to the BIOS). But the thing is, most people are surprised when I tell them that I take over 1 GB at boot up. Other people apparently are using 600 to 700 MB when they first boot-up, even with some background apps.

Windows 7 is smart about ram usages. Windows 7 will preload commonly used apps in memory so they are ready to go when you need them that is the way it is should work. The only reason it shows 45% used is because you only have 3gig.

As for services it is really never a good idea to disable services. Microsoft only has the services that are commonly needed starting up and in general you will not gain any noticeable amount of memory by disabling them anyway. Windows will free some of that memory up if the system needs it. As for the slow boot up time I would check to see if you have any items starting up with Windows that is usually what will cause slow boot up times.

MoarPony

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
My Superfetch is disabled and I always empty out my prefetch folder.
As for apps: Dropbox, avast, Malwarebytes, Advanced SystemCare 6, Soluto, and Google Music Manager.
I don't think those are enough to make it go up to 1.5 GB (650 MB boot-up on average Win7 comp + another 800 MB used by these apps? Doesn't seem too likely)

Thanks for trying to help, though.

Right click 'Computer', choose 'Properties' and you'll see how much of your RAM is available after a chunk is removed for your Graphics (Installed/available). Could be 256Mb which is a fair percentage of your 3 Gig.
Meanwhile your boot time is atrocious for a machine running 8! My tx2000 laptop with a dual core Turion and running on battery only takes 45 seconds! Was Win 8 already on the machine? I'd be tempted to re-install and keep just the bare minimum of Apps. Even better, buy a 60Gb SSD and see a real difference. (60 Gb plenty for Win 8 if you optimise your system, I still have 34Gb free...)
23d7aa705c5f4c15bdfae9d.png