my friends want me to go mac

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Macintosh
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2002 3:07:35 PM

The other night me and me pals went for a couple of lagers. After a couple of hours the talk went to computers. I told them I was looking for a rig and we got down to discussion. It all boiled down to that they adviced me to buy a mac g3 or g4. This suggestion was based on my thoughts about what I wanted to do and my priorities:
music making, some graphics, minimum of hassle, dont wanna learn too much about why it works or how to make it work, just that it works and do what I want. I am not tech- illiterate, just getting my priorities straight and delving into hardware-compabilities and drivers is just not on top. So, I suppose most of you don't do much mac, but I guess there must be some experience, enough to make a comparision, point out pros and cons.
much thanks for all input

<A HREF="http://uk.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=6047" target="_new">my pacifist summer holiday</A> :frown:

More about : friends mac

a b à CPUs
February 18, 2002 3:34:46 PM

Dude, get a Dell, and leave it stock. Oh, and order it with the good video card, speakers, CD-RW, and sound card. It will arrive working and you'll never have to open it up or change drivers. Changing drivers is done for increased performance, if you wanted to get a Mac because you can't change drivers, get a PC and pretend you can't change drivers.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
February 18, 2002 3:37:43 PM

A G3 or G4 will do what you want, and it will fit all your criteria, but it will cost you a bit more than the PC route. Assuming you either have your system built for you (Prebuilt/custom build), the PC Hardware can easily match the Mac Hardware for what they can do.

I personaly don't like Macs, but that revolved mostly around my use of PCs, and how used to them I am. I also enjoy the increased software support of programs on the PC that are not on the Mac.

This is a non-smoking forum.
If your computer is smoking, please extinguish it immediately.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2002 4:19:23 PM

It's just that the way they put it the mac seemed so much more "really working" plug'n'play. Easy to hook up new stuff, good back-compability... i dunno, it just sounded more user-friendly. That has always been the argument, right? Question is if its still true. I know the mac's expensive, though.

<A HREF="http://uk.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=6047" target="_new">my pacifist summer holiday</A> :frown:
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2002 5:02:47 PM

Well,

If you're used to using Macs to begin with, you wouldn't be disappointed with a new one.

If you're used to using PC's to begin with, making the transition could be difficult.

Macs can match a P4 in Photoshop, but I think that's the only ordinary app where they even come close.

And the PC in cheaper, software is more readily available, and if you use a PC at work and want to take something home to work on, you'll still want a PC.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2002 8:24:56 PM

As someone who works with (and repairs) both pc's and mac's on a daily basis I would have to say that a mac would fit your needs. Granted they are a bit more expensive than pc's but, you will probably find very quickly that the software needed to get a pc to do all the things (easily and correctly) that you want to do will equal the price difference. For instance, most pc's equipped with a cd/rw come with some type of burning software, however in order to create mp3's you have to purchase additional software. If your new pc has a DVD drive, Microsoft Windows XP will play DVD's in the included Media Player 7 only if you install third party decoding software. With the mac this is included, no hidden catches, no trial or tempting software which you have to purchase to make it work. As for graphics ability, check with you local newspaper. They are probably using mac's in the graphics department, this is the mac's strong point. Finally with Microsoft creating a version of their office suite for OS 9 and OS X you can easily work on documents created at work on a pc with an Apple at home.
I am neither an Apple salesman nor an avid Apple supporter, I happen to use Microsoft Windows XP as my primary operating system, however I do have both a pc and mac at home and can easily transition between the two. There was a time when I would absolutely steer someone away from Apple, however with the release of their latest operating system I'm finding that harder to do. Finally I know this comment is going to get me flamed but, as someone who repairs computers on a daily basis it is my observation that Apple's quality control is unmatched in the pc arena.
I hope this helps in your decision.

if it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid
February 18, 2002 9:17:38 PM

Ignore the re:...

I wouldn't buy a Mac unless I have to do some serious work that would require something that a Mac setup would do much better than a Wintel. If your work doesn't require anything that a Mac would do better than a Wintel then you just payed more.

I know people who got to have a Mac even though they do nothing other than surfing, some games, and word processing. They think having a Mac is a "status symbol". They do break down and have their own problems, compare their hardware, sometimes what you got for Mac is less (like the geforce card story, Apple users got the chopped version. But it doesn't mean it's common!).

Software for Mac and Wintel is about the same, if not then whatever you can't find new will be released for it soon. At least you can always hope.

Just decide if it's worth for you to spend more, compare how both do with upgrades since you have to upgrade once a while. What will you get for your money, there is a diff between a fully functional geforce card and a handicap one made for Apple.

Apple = higher cost, initial and later
Wintel = lower cost, initial and later

If you got the money to buy a Mac but you change your mind, you can get a much better Wintel for that money (having an extra 1500$ for parts can change the whole setup = you don't have to go cheap on any component and curse it later). Just have to have it built at a place where they know what they doing (or by somebody), not those on-line places even though some aren't that bad. Anyone who can read a manual can throw a computer together. The hardware installation is only half the battle, after that they come here asking why their system screwed up. :)  (yeah I ask about stuff sometimes, only dumb people think they know everything)

Anyway, think about it and see. Good luck.

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>
February 18, 2002 10:05:52 PM

Quote:
Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.

Read - Handsome 50-something middle class IT guy with a pot-belly looking for long term relationship with an 18-20 blond, blue-eyed athletic supermodel. All models smoke.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2002 12:59:24 AM

I'm running into the same problem with video editing. PC vs. Mac. Come to this forum, most everyone will tout PC's. Go to a Mac forum, most everyone there will push you on Macs. It's the Chevy vs. Ford thing, although I think Germans make the best cars. I've sat down and played with Macs a little. They're not difficult. I have a friend who fixes Macs for a living, I build a PC every week or two. They'll both break down. They'll each have their own differences. The one thing I can say is that Macs carry a premium. The only reason I'd buy one is because Apple has some awesome video editing software I can't get on a PC. So, I would probably just spend a little more time and decide what programs you're going to use and decide which one will work better for you. You can get a used G4 on ebay for about the same price a new PC would run. If you do go with a new one, know that you'll be spending almost twice the price for what you could build a PC for...although the Mac does render in Photoshop a whole lot quicker than Intel's P4 2ghz.

Hope that helps a little.
February 19, 2002 3:51:53 AM

Yeah I would take that 18-20 supermodel, but wife not too thrilled about the idea. :lol: 

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>
February 19, 2002 5:13:40 AM

Mac vs Pc? Well, I was only able to scrounge up one site that put them head to head. Comparing the two is difficult. The site compared the two using 3 benchmarks. The memory, video card, sound card and a few other things were the same.
The PC beat the Mac by a margin of 40% or more in two benchmarks. In photoshop, the MAC was 5% behind. Take that for what its worth.
The difficulty of finding software or drivers on a PC is a non-issue with me. If I cant load/run something. I go to www.tucows or windrivers etc. 2 minutes later, Im good to go. Dont have a decent graphics program? Hurray for morpheus. Hell, i found a program the other day that did skeletal animation in real time, sort of a watered down version of the stuff they used for Jurassic Park. Took me 5 minutes to find, 4 minutes to download, and 1 minute to install. (take me 2 years to learn the program though, Lol)
Anyway, if your lazy or dont care about opening your case, then go with MAC. If you dont mind spending more (for the computer and upgrades)
If your OK with downloading Codecs, programs etc etc. Then go PC. The other guy was right, the MAC people swear by them for graphics. But I think they say that to justify the money they shelled out. I havnt seen any benchmarks to prove it.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.
February 19, 2002 5:41:46 AM

Quote:
that you want to do will equal the price difference. For instance, most pc's equipped with a cd/rw come with some type of burning software, however in order to create mp3's you have to purchase additional software

LoL< no you dont, there are tons of freeware apps on the web to do that.

Furthermore, if you dont need mp3, you can create .wma files with media player which is free and comes with windows.

MAC fud!!!

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
February 19, 2002 5:51:31 AM

Didn't you notice your friends advised you to buy a MAC <b>after</b> you had the lagers? Friends don't let friends own MACs.

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

I amd guilty intel proven innocent
February 19, 2002 8:21:34 PM

If yer friends told you to get a mac...they are not really your friends!!!

But seriously, macs are great for some things, but they are highly overpriced. You can get a PC for about half the price. Macs being easy to use and never breaking is a MYTH!!! I did phone tech support for PC and MAC for a long time, and although our customer base at the company I worked for was about 10% MAC, they accounted for 25% of our calls! Macs break just as easily and when they do they are harder to fix, well maybe not harder, but they take longer. That could have something to do with the average knowledge of mac users however. No knock on them overall, but when you market a machine as easy to use and hard to break the less informed people will buy them. In any case the PC is 99.99999% of the time a better choice. The only thing that is still more advanced on a mac as compared to pc is desktop publishing....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
February 19, 2002 9:23:17 PM

Macs are great for graphics and music, if you are a professional. The sheer price of a well stocked mac, however, makes pc's a more attractive option for most artists. There are also many excellent shareware and freeware music and graphics programs that aren't available on the mac platform. If you buy a prefabricated pc, such as a dell, you shouldn't have any more trouble than a mac would cause and it will be much cheaper and faster.

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>
February 19, 2002 10:51:31 PM

One very simple reason not to get a mac. Games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pc games come out then the same mac game comes out 3 months later.
February 20, 2002 3:07:24 AM

Quote:
Macs are great for graphics and music, if you are a professional. The sheer price of a well stocked mac, however, makes pc's a more attractive option for most artists. There are also many excellent shareware and freeware music and graphics programs that aren't available on the mac platform. If you buy a prefabricated pc, such as a dell, you shouldn't have any more trouble than a mac would cause and it will be much cheaper and faster.

that i have to totally agree on. the main thing to to remember, most creative apps started out on mac/amiga. so just like anything else, people will stick to names they know and in their minds trust.

Windows XP cd makes a great coaster :smile:
February 20, 2002 3:12:27 AM

Quote:
One very simple reason not to get a mac. Games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[sarcasm]ya, that's what i always here everyone i know with a mac complaining about; they won't be able to run the latest games. [/sarcasm]
g4/powermac is and was never intended for mainstream/home user market.

February 20, 2002 3:22:36 AM

question, are you making a living doing freelance or employed with what you do on the computer? if not i'd suggest get a pc. if a mac interests you i would say pick-up a used g3. i work on g4's sometimes. i'll say they are great, so are pc's. each one has it's good points and bad points. but for "casual" creative work i don't think the pricetag on a g4 is worth it.

!