Michael_N2QJI

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002
I purchased a new mobo ASUS A7V266-E with a AthlonXP 1700 cpu last Thursday. I have one question that is not clear in manual, and info I have found on the net is not clear either. CPU Type Frequency Setting jumper block: It is the 4 position jumper block located between the IDE connectors and ram slots on the right side of the board. What position should this be in for the AthlonXP 1700 CPU? Two setting are available 1-2 for Palomino core CPUs and 2-3 for Athlon/Duron core CPU’s. The board defaults to 2-3 Athlon/Duron CPU’s. Any insight you may be able to provide would be great.

Thanks Michael

Michael_N2QJI

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002
So if I understand correctly, this jumper block should be set to Palomino and not Athlon/Duron? Also if the board is used in jumper less mode does it really matter what the setting is?. I have been trying to get a definitive answer on this for 6 days and It seems that no one really knows what this thing is to be set at and I do NOT want to cook a CPU. Been then, done that, bought the T-shirt. ASUS has not been responsive to my emails.

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Right. Athlon/Duron is probably intended for the former Thunderbird and Morgan cores. I don't think you can go wrong by choosing Palomino for the XP. This jumper probably sets the right voltage level for the CPU.

<font color=red>Floppy disk?!? What the heck's a floppy disk?!?</font color=red>

Michael_N2QJI

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002
Thanks for the responses. I hate to beat this horse but To quote a review of the mobo from Tom’s Hardware :"A hold-over from the previous model, the A7V266 with the VIA KT266 chipset is the jumper block, which allows you to switch between an Athlon XP/MP with a Palomino core and a classic Athlon with a Thunderbird core. The real beauty of this feature lies in the activation of the overload protection, so that the signal sent by the thermal diode on the Athlon XP/MP can be evaluated.” It apparently activates the overload protection circuits and the ASUS manual states “The jumper setting accommodates the difference between the internal frequency between the standard and new AMD CPUs. The Palomino will only function on the motherboard after the jumpers are adjusted”. Based on what I know at this point I will put it in the Palomino position.

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
If you don't change the jumper to palomino mode, even in jumperless, you won't get the benifit of overload circuit activation.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
In light of what you just cited, you should definitely set the jumper to Palomino for your XP.

<font color=red>Floppy disk?!? What the heck's a floppy disk?!?</font color=red>

G

Michael,

I've built two machines now with that board. I've place the jumpers on both to the Palimino settings and have not cooked a chip as of yet. You should be fine with the Palimino setting.