Request for Help

G

I'm having a bit of a problem and I'm looking for suggestions. Basically, my computer runs too hot and I'm not sure why. It's a Socket A Athlon 1 Ghz (no overclocking) on an Epox 8K7A+, and my monitoring program records it at an average of around 60 C. When I start something processor-intensive, like a 3d game, the temp climbs up to around 67-68 and then the computer reboots. I don't have anything *really* serious for cooling, but the fan is a GlobalWin FOP32 attached with Arctic Silver.

So my question is: what's wrong? As far as I understand it (though I don't have any real experience in this area) there's no way the chip should be running even close to that hot. One thing I've thought of is that my monitor is miscalibrated and the crashes are unrelated, which I suppose is possible, but other then that I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Django Wexler (khaine)
khaine@mindless.com

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Try running your computer with the case open for a while, and see if the temps go down. If they do, you probably needs a case fan or a beter ventilated case.

This is a non-smoking forum.
If your computer is smoking, please extinguish it immediately.

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
try these: make sure you don't have too much arctic silver on. make sure the cpu fan is plugged in and working. check the motherboard temp, if it also is high, you don't have good air circlation in the case. an athlon 1.4 cpu will crash at about 63-65 deg. and a 1ghz will crash at about your temp.

the fop 32 is sufficient for your cpu. your problem is elsewhere.

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/scamtron2000/Lochel.html" target="_new"> <font color=red>click here</font color=red> </A>