Setting Up New Computer for MSN Internet

dtp

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2001
This might sound lame but its been awhile since I'v had to set up a computer for a dial up internet connection....but here it goes,I'm gonna be setting up my brothers new computer (running Win XP) and he recently switched to MSN for his dial up connection,my ? is will the new comp. have an internet connection wizard in it to set itself up to his internet acct. or will he need an install disc. from MSN to do this,and in either instance what info about his acct. will he need?Also he mentioned that at certain times of night its hard to get connected is it possible to set up 2 dial-up numbers so if one is busy he can connect to the other #.I thought it would be a good idea to get this info here instead of ennndless hours on an MSN tech line.Thanks all replys welcome.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
if you knoe the dialup numbers, username and password then just run inetwiz

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

dtp

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2001
Thanks for the input I talked to him last night and he said he receivied a disc from them in the mail,is it easy to set up more than 1 dial up number (will this be an option on his disc)or is it something you have to do after the install? Thanks again.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
once the account is created, go to internet options, connections, settings,properties. You will see the number, clcik "alternatives" and enter extra numbers there

dtp

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2001
inetwiz???? is this a program in windows XP (I have yet to run windows XP so I'm not familiar with the programs on it)thanks.

dtp

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2001
Thanks alot I'm sure this info will save us-(him) alot of headachs as far as getting a busy signal.Will this 2nd number be in a drop down box on his dial-up box where he puts his password to connect?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
inetwiz is the internet connection wizard, easiest to use if your not sure about setting it up manually, it will also setup outlook express (providing you have mail server details of course)
click start/run put INETWIZ click ok, you can go through it and make a dummy if you like

dtp

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2001
Boy I guess it has been along time since I set up a new internet acct. maybe its time I upgrade my comp. ha ha anyway on the outlook express set-up,where can I get the mail server details,is this something that has to be put into the outlook program manually and what exactally do the details consist of? Again thanks alot for the replys,the sooner the better on this,and if there is any little quirks as far setting up this windows XP,(its already installed)could you forward that also.As far as the video card & sound card I heard that with XP you have to get different drivers for some of them,are the manufactures pretty good (Dell) I think about shipping the new Comps. with these already installed.Again thanks.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Here are instructions I found on usenet:

Sounds like the right stuff. Good luck.
============================================================
If you are using Outlook Express, set up the email account as follows:

General Tab:
name: whatever you want it to be
Organization: mine is blank, you can put something here if you wish
E-mail address: Thie is the "from" address that people will see when you
send them email. I've had MSN tell me that it has to be my MSN email
address, but I'm currently using my earthlink email address and it works
just fine.
Reply address: I leave this blank

Servers tab:
My incoming mail server is a "POP3" server.
Incoming mail (POP3):pop3.email.msn.com
Outgoing mail (SMTP):smtp.email.msn.com
Incoming Mail Server:
Account name: your MSN user id without the "@msn.com". If your msn email
address is JoeBlow@msn.com, then you would put "JoeBlow" here.
Password: your msn password

Check Remember password
Check Log on using Secure Password Authentication
Check My server requires authentication
Click the SEttings button. Check "Use same settings as my incoming mail
server"

Leave everything at the default. This is how my email is setup and it works
fine. If this doens't work for you, then may the Lord have mercy on your
soul, because you may have a hard time finding someone at MSN that can help
:-(

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>