Help getting Started in AD&D gaming

Is the AD&D Basic Game w/mini's a good way to start learning the rules
/ gameplay?

What is the best way to find a local game group and how long do gaming
sessions generally go for?

thank you mucho.

Stoli wrote:
> Is the AD&D Basic Game w/mini's a good way to start learning the rules
> / gameplay?

I wouldn't go with AD&D at this point, being both older, harder to find
players for, and having in general poorer conflicting, confusing rules.
There's only 2 advantages to AD&D I'd say, 1 you can buy the books
dirt cheap, and 2: It's a bit easier to run (at least for me YRMV).

I'd look more to D&D 3.5. I've heard there is a basic game for it .
Not sure if it's for 3.5 or 3.0, but if it's not for 3.5 I'd just jump
in with the Player's, Dungeon Master's Handbooks and Monster Manual.
If the basic set is version 3.5 *AND* you plan on starting a group of
all newbies, then I'd say go for it. If you plan on playing with an
established group, I'd just pick up the Player's Handbook.

I'd say the best way to learn is find a group and jump in. Any decent
group will be happy to help a newbie learn how to play. I however just
got the book, and started playing with my best friend, and we figured
out as we went along. That's perfectly viable too.

> What is the best way to find a local game group and how long do gaming
> sessions generally go for?
>
> thank you mucho.

Well I have only had one new player in the last 8 years, and he only
played for a couple months, so probably not the best person to ask, but
generally look for postings at any local gaming/hobby stores. Also had
good response off of wizard's forums. Craig's list might be another
possibility.

- Justisaur

Stoli wrote:

> Is the AD&D Basic Game w/mini's a good way to start learning the rules
> / gameplay?

While there's no such game as Advanced Dungeons and Dragons being published
anymore, the "Basic Game" you see with miniatures included is *intended* as a
way to learn the rules of revised ("3.5") Third Edition D&D.

So, yes.

> What is the best way to find a local game group and how long do gaming
> sessions generally go for?

If you have a friendly local gaming store, or even an unfriendly one, such
businesses often maintain a noticeboard where GMs can advertise for new players.
If you live close to a university, odds are that whatever gamers attend it will
have organised into a gaming club (whether formal or informal).

As for the length of gaming sessions, it honestly varies. I've played in games
which begin at 8 p.m. and run until after midnight; games which start at 1:30
and run until 8 p.m.; games which ran from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. at university.
It's usually fairly trivial to adjust a session to the time available - but, on
average, I'd say the *minimum* length of time for a satisfying session is two to
three hours.

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you

Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the
leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked,
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to
danger. It works the same in any country.