Win Xp SP2 Question

I installed Win XP SP2 this morning before work. Booting up when I got
home I note an icon in my systems tray called "Windows Security
Alerts". To me this means something running in the background but I
can not find anything to unchecked during bootup (selective startup)
to turn it off. Does anyone how to keep this from running ? I've
checked the "Never Update" in System Properties | Windows Updates, but
it's still there. Thanks!

Mike
6 answers Last reply
More about question

    This is the new Security Center, running by default in SP2. To stop the
    tray icon and security alert messages, open up your Control Panel, then
    select the Security Center. There are 3 main areas that the Security Center
    monitors: 1) WinXP Firewall, 2) Automatic WinXP Updates and 3) Virus
    Protection. From the Security Center, you can tell it to monitor or not
    monitor these areas, allowing the icon/messages to be disabled.

    Hope this helps,
    Russell
    http://tastycomputers.com

    "Mike" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
    >I installed Win XP SP2 this morning before work. Booting up when I got
    > home I note an icon in my systems tray called "Windows Security
    > Alerts". To me this means something running in the background but I
    > can not find anything to unchecked during bootup (selective startup)
    > to turn it off. Does anyone how to keep this from running ? I've
    > checked the "Never Update" in System Properties | Windows Updates, but
    > it's still there. Thanks!
    >
    > Mike

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:59:36 GMT, "Russell"
    <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replace_dot_with"."> wrote:

    >This is the new Security Center, running by default in SP2. To stop the
    >tray icon and security alert messages, open up your Control Panel, then
    >select the Security Center. There are 3 main areas that the Security Center
    >monitors: 1) WinXP Firewall, 2) Automatic WinXP Updates and 3) Virus
    >Protection. From the Security Center, you can tell it to monitor or not
    >monitor these areas, allowing the icon/messages to be disabled.

    I followed your instructions only to find "Automatic Updates" off :-(
    Norton's is running my AV and Firewall ,which I prefer, I just wish I
    did not have the icon in the tray. Thanks for the input.

    Mike

    > I followed your instructions only to find "Automatic Updates" off :-(
    > Norton's is running my AV and Firewall ,which I prefer, I just wish I
    > did not have the icon in the tray. Thanks for the input.

    On the left hand side of the opened Security Center, notice the bottom of
    the list where it has "Change the way security center alerts me." Click on
    that, and make sure none of the three options are checked.

    --
    Tom McCune

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 23:14:46 GMT, Tom McCune
    <news@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote:

    >Mike <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in
    >
    >> I followed your instructions only to find "Automatic Updates" off :-(
    >> Norton's is running my AV and Firewall ,which I prefer, I just wish I
    >> did not have the icon in the tray. Thanks for the input.
    >
    >On the left hand side of the opened Security Center, notice the bottom of
    >the list where it has "Change the way security center alerts me." Click on
    >that, and make sure none of the three options are checked.

    That was it Tom! Thanks! Not sure how I did not see that but I
    obviously missed it.

    Mike

    Mike <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote:

    >Tom McCune <news@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote:

    >>Mike <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote

    >>> I followed your instructions only to find "Automatic Updates" off :-(
    >>> Norton's is running my AV and Firewall ,which I prefer, I just wish I
    >>> did not have the icon in the tray. Thanks for the input.

    >>On the left hand side of the opened Security Center, notice the bottom of
    >>the list where it has "Change the way security center alerts me." Click on
    >>that, and make sure none of the three options are checked.

    >That was it Tom! Thanks! Not sure how I did not see that but I
    >obviously missed it.

    One explanation [admittedly face-saving] would be that we have
    become so ingrained with the belief that Bill
    Gates/Microsoft/Windoze are so deviously evil that we cannot
    believe that something involved with the operation of Windoze
    could be put right out there in plain sight. Therefore, we have
    been programmed to ignore any appearance of an option selection
    that is right out there in plain sight, and dutifully don't see
    it at all. ;->
    --
    OJ III

    For anyone wanting to "turn off" the Security Center:

    http://www.pctoday.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/2004/t0211/03t11/03t11.asp

    Warning: DO NOT DO THIS unless you are very knowledgable with your security
    software and know what you are doing.

    Acadia

Dell Windows XP Computers