Upgrade Advice for 440BX

MaNiCaL

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2002
Just got a couple questions....

I have a Daewoo CB641X-BX motherboard with Intel 440BX/ZX rev 2 chipset. It is a 100Mhz FSB board. I currently have a PII 300Mhz installed and am planning to replace the cpu.

Is the fastest cpu I can install a PIII 800? Or can I use any cpu with a 100Mhz FSB once I get a slotket to control the voltage?

What are the tradeoffs between getting a PIII and a celeron?

You'll have to see if Daewoo has a website with a bios upgrade for your mobo to run a 133 fsb cpu. Otherwise, the 800 (with 100 fsb) may be the fastest cpu you can run. The slot 1 cpus cost more, so you may be better off getting a new mobo combo with cpu, or a "pc kit" with mobo, cpu/heatsink, and case. Pricewatch has pc kit listings for almost any cpu. Then, all you have to do is transfer your hardrive, video card, cd, etc to the new case. You'll also have to do a fresh install of windows with the new mobo. The athlon combos are pretty cheap, but you'll need a new power supply anyway to support them if you use your old case.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If your board supports ANY coppermine (Celeron 566 and up, PIII 650 and up, are all Coppermine), it will support the common PIII 850, and should also support the hard to find PIII 900, 1000E (the 100MHz version), and fast Celerons (up to 1.1GHz, much less powerfull than PIII's).

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
With proper BIOS upgrade and voltage adjustments, yes!
But stick with 100Mhz Coppermines, unless you want to push your luck and overclock your FSB to 133Mhz!

<font color=red>Floppy disk?!? What the heck's a floppy disk?!?</font color=red>

Trumphent

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2002
Daewoo makes everything from fishing reels to heavy equipment. They only recently started making cars for the US market.

Signature? We don' need no stinkin' signature!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I had a Daewoo TV and used to drive a Daewoo forklift. Daewoo has also made cars for GM, as well as various electronic and commercial items. I think they also make robotics for manufacturing.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I dint know Daewoo made motherboards, only cars!

How is the board?

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>