Tualatin Celeron vs PIII Cache latency question

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was lead to believe that the only difference between these 2 chips (assuming they share the same size cache) is that the PIII's cache latency is set to the faster setting of <b>0</b>, while the Celerons is set to <b>1</b>. Can anyone confirm this?

I have tried to set my 1200 Celeron's cache latency to 0 using WCPUL2 v1.6, but have been unsuccessful as you can see from the error prompt in the link below. Is there a later version of this software available that could possibly help me? What about different software? Or am I just attempting the impossible?

<A HREF="http://ftp.shaw.ca/thano/WCPUL21.jpg" target="_new">http://ftp.shaw.ca/thano/WCPUL21.jpg</A>

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

I amd guilty intel proven innocent

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can't change the cache latency on it, I've tried just about everything. I've found that my PIII 1000 is a bit faster than my Celeron 1.2GHz is games (probably do to faster memory transfers), and at 1125MHz, it beats or matches my Celeron at 1.5GHz.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
interesting post... i have a tuly cely 1ghz at 1.33 133fsb and sandras cpu test(for what its wort) clocks it equal to a 1.33ghz athlon(non xp). i thought it turned out good for what i paid.

the celerons cache is set to 4/way associative while the P3 is 8/way associative .
Crash have you tried WCPUL2 from H-Oda. This is for setting the latency on p3 chips. Don't have a tualatin to try it on yet.

I aint signing nothing!!!

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Zer0, Sandra is the worst piece of garbage I've ever used for benchmarking. This is the same pos software that told me my Atlas 10KII's/8MB disks were slower than my old 5400 rpm/512K Maxtor disk. Sandra is only useful for useless hypothetical crap.

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Rick, like I stated in my post, WCPUL2 is the program I've been (unsuccessfully) using to try & lower the cache latency on my Tualy. I am using version 1.6. Maybe there's a newer version out there to work with Tualatins?

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
~ i have a tuly cely 1ghz at 1.33 133fsb ~

I'm thinking of doing the same and have a couple of questions...

Are you running the FSB & memory synchronous?
What mobo are you using?
Is it still passively cooled?

Thx

<font color=blue> Smoke me a Chip'er ... I'll be back in the Morgan </font color=blue> :eek: