G

I have an Asus A7Pro running at 100FSB 133 memory bus, and an Athlon 1.1. How much can I turn up the FSB on this board, and will I notice any difference by doing so?

I know the FSB goes up to 200, but I put it there once, and the computer wouldn't even start up, I had to reset the board, so that's why I ask, what is the safest speed I can get out of it, without tampering with the CPU, and have it run stable, and noticeably faster?

Thanks
Derek

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Good luck on that one.

It sounds like your board is a KT133 (not KT133A), so I doubt it would go very far beyond 110MHz FSB. You'll be lucky to hit 120, but it's worth a shot.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You'd have better chance of success to overclock it by <b>Multiplier</b> than <b>FSB</b> on this board. On my old A7V (almost same as yours), it only went up to 108MHz stably.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

G

I was under the impression that the multiplier was locked on these CPUs, and if they aren't how do I go about changing it?

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
and if they aren't how do I go about changing it?
Refer to your manual page 23, it shows how to do it under section <b><font color=red>CPU core Bus Frequency Multiple (DSFID Switches 1-6)</b></font color=red>.
You need to unlock your CPU by using pencil #2 (I used this and it was easy) or conductive pen to close all L1 bridges on your CPU.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

G

So I have to physically alter the CPU in order to do it. Isn't there a big likelyhook that I could damage the CPU?

G

So I have to physically alter the CPU in order to do it. Isn't there a big likelyhood that I could damage the CPU?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
So I have to physically alter the CPU in order to do it. Isn't there a big likelyhook that I could damage the CPU?

No, if you do it inproperly it wont boot, remove the penciling and it will boot fine.

As for the axp, the same applies, however the materials used generally are harder to remove.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

G

Could someone please direct me to the article on how to use a pencil led to oc. I can only find oc info on the older style Athlons, you know the cartridge style.

Thanks
Derek

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Here, I will try and make it simple......

Take your HSF off the CPU and take the CPU out of its ZIF Socket.....

Now, look at where it says L1....

Out fo the followign two, which does it resemble:

: : : :
or
| | | |

If it looks like the top one, than all you have to do is grab a sharp pencil (I find a mechanical pencil works best) and connect the Lines so that way it looks like the bottom one (| | | |).

Now, If your L1 bridges look as if they are already connected or after you finish connecting them, than all you will have to do is Change the Multiplier from 11.0 to something higher, 11.5, 12.0, 12.5, 13.0....whatever works.....also note, you MAY have to increase the Voltage to the CPU from its default 1.75 to approx. 1.85 for a maximum STABLE overclock. Before you just go and overclock your processor, make sure your HSF is good enough and cools the CPU well enough to ensure optimum cooling and stability. Good luck, and have fun doing it! =)

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!

G

So you just draw the line in?

How do you remove it if it doesn't work, an eraser?

Derek

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Yep....just draw it in.....make sure u put a nice good thick straight line on to, just make sure it doesnt touch the other lines u make, it wont cause damage, at most the computer just wont boot.......and yes, use an eraser to remove the line, but i can gaurantee u will never want to remove it =)

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
Yes.. and eraser... it is pencil after all :)

Here's a tougher question for people out there!!

In Tom's XP overclocking article, he mentions that the L3 and L4 control the multiplier (unless you close all the L1 bridges and then it can be down through the bios or jumpers on a motherboard that supports it)......

My question is: Has anyone ever done an article on how to change the cpu multiplier through changes to the L3 and L4 ?? My motherboard does not support changing the cpu multiplier through jumpers or the bios (the Asus A7M266)... and someday I may wish to play around and try to up the cpu multiplier by playing with L3 and L4 on the cpu....