Psychotic

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2002
I have two selections of parts to chose from and I would like your recommendations.

PC 1:
Intel MotherBoard
Pentium 4 1.7 GHZ
Rambus RAM 256Mb
Power Supply 300W

PC 2:
MSI MotherBoard
Athlon XP 1700+
DD-RAM 256MB
Power Supply 300W

What do you reccomend

FatBurger

Illustrious
Are you interested in overclocking? That's the main advantage of the Pentium 4 platform right now. I just bought a P4 1.6A, Abit TH7-II, and 512MB of Samsung RDRAM.

If you're not, I'd recommend the Athlon system. BTW, what MSI motherboard is it?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Fatburger, have you received your new toys yet (the P4?). I'm considering the exact same setup myself and I want to hear how high you got your system.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Yep, if you want to overclock, and only if you want to overclock, get a p4 1.6a.

Otherwise the athlon will perform better and cost less.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Check the thread you posted, the forum is slow today, so I haven't made that many posts. I replied in there and will keep you updated. I just emailed Newegg, BTW.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you consider buying P4, choose Northwood 1.6A or 1.8A instead of Willamette 1.7G.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Find out what motherboard it is, it'll make a difference.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I'm not interested in overclocking and i am not sure which MSI motherboard it is..

Well, you should choose the athlon then, and also, a good kt266a chipset mobo, or an nforce mobo.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!