Sign in with
Your question

Rig compairison

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 19, 2002 5:02:22 PM

I'll be building a rig for my fiance's parents. They'll need it for internet browsing, some simple games (nothing hard 3D), maybe some music use and word processing. I came up with these 2 systems where I felt they could get the most bang for their buck, and have a computer to meet their needs for a long time to come.

Here are the 2 systems I came up with.

AMD Athlon XP 1700+
Asus A7N266-E
2 Crucial 128MB PC2100 CL2.5
16X DVD
Maxtor D740X 40GB ATA133 7200RPM
Price: About $620

OR

P4 1.6A Northwood
2 128 MB Samsung RDRam 4-device (what is the difference between 4 and 8 device anyway?)
Asus P4T-E or Abit TH7II
16X DVD
Maxtor D740X 40GB ATA133 7200RPM
Gainward GeForce2 Ti/450
Price: About $660

I can get a nice case for about $100 with a 400W PSU that will fit either comp. Given I'm not going to overclock, which one is a better value? or should I go even cheeper and dump the XP for a Duron?

This is a non-smoking forum.
If your computer is smoking, please extinguish it immediately.

More about : rig compairison

February 19, 2002 5:14:01 PM

Solitaire and Hearts smokes on a 486DX66, cost about 100$ with everything. :) 

Unless her parents are like mine, my mom murder all of us playing driving games (she never got her license), and my dad is a hardcore strategy player.

and about what you posted... not a clue LOL

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>
February 19, 2002 5:31:19 PM

They gave their old P2 500 to their niece, so they are used to a computer that is better than that. Besides, a 486 can't handle the dataflow of a DLS or cable connection.

Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2002 5:59:09 PM

what's the video card for the XP system? Also, I think you could use 1 pc of 256 DDR ram for the XP system.
For me, I will pick the XP system, coz XP1700 is faster than P4 1.6. For your parent's usage, even celeron or Duron is good enough. But if you budget is not too tight, and you don't want to do any upgrade, just get the XP system.
February 19, 2002 6:50:47 PM

I'm building a system for a friend with almost the same components as your XP system. So I guess to answer your question I'd pick the XP system, since the XP 1700+ will outperform the P4 1.6 and it's cheaper to boot. I like the nforce boards since they have integrated video and excellent sound, so it saves a lot of money if you don't need great 3D graphics. And you can always add a better video card later if you want one.

<i>I made you look. But I can't make you see.</i>
February 19, 2002 6:58:26 PM

I'd go for the northwood 1.6a system. It will run solid and it's less likely you will have to deal with burned cpu's or faulty motherboards.

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>
February 19, 2002 7:07:49 PM

Quote:

I'd go for the northwood 1.6a system. It will run solid and it's less likely you will have to deal with burned cpu's or faulty motherboards.

I'd go with a 1.6A and overclock the hell out of it. That baby can go up to 2.6GHz on stock coolng according to many people on several on many different forums (Hardocp, Tom's Hardware, Anandtech, Sharkey Extreme, etc.). However, the increased likelihood of having a burnt CPU or faulty motherboard with an AMD system, is untrue.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
February 19, 2002 7:17:05 PM

I don't want to overclock a system that I'll be leaving in the hands of non-techies 6 hours away. Besides, if I go the Overclocking route, I'll keep it myself and send them my current AXP 1600+

February 19, 2002 7:18:13 PM

Quote:
I'd go with a 1.6A and overclock the hell out of it.

He said he's not going to do any overclocking with it. It's for his fiance's parents.

<i>I made you look. But I can't make you see.</i>
February 19, 2002 7:21:06 PM

Quote:
I don't want to overclock a system that I'll be leaving in the hands of non-techies 6 hours away. Besides, if I go the Overclocking route, I'll keep it myself and send them my current AXP 1600+

That sounds like the best idea to me, hehe. Give them your AXP 1600+ and get the Northwood for yourself.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
February 19, 2002 7:28:18 PM

For the Athlon system, I was using the built in Video and Sound. The dual memory is a feature with the Nforce boards, probably mostly for 3D performance. With the Athlon system, I could easily drop the price about 100 by going with a Duron and only 1 chip, and it'd still be adiquet (I can get it to $490 if I go to 128MB and a Duron 1Ghz). I don't want to go with a PIII or Celeron because the Socket 370 is long dead as far as evolving chipsets, hardware, and drivers.

February 20, 2002 3:53:00 AM

Depends on how much money is an issue. The Duron should be enough for the stuff they'd be using it for and obiviously faster than their previous system.

Trying is the first step to failure
February 20, 2002 6:27:02 AM

Quote:
I'd go with a 1.6A and overclock the hell out of it. That baby can go up to 2.6GHz on stock coolng according to many people on several on many different forums (Hardocp, Tom's Hardware, Anandtech, Sharkey Extreme, etc.). However, the increased likelihood of having a burnt CPU or faulty motherboard with an AMD system, is untrue.

Its for his mom, overclocking isnt an option I wouldnt think.

The axp 1700 is faster and is just as stable, and it costs less, the choice could NOT be any more obvious.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
February 20, 2002 1:59:01 PM

Yes, I think I'll end up going with an Athlon system on an Nforce board. It is cheeper, and will have a wider variety of upgrade paths to let the computer be a viable system for several years to come.

Want a Video upgrade? You're using the built in card, so no extra card to have laying around afterwards. Same with the Sound and Network. An upgrade to a second memory chip will help with memory bandwidth and speed, and the Socket A is good for all XPs and posibly T-breads. So, even if I go with a Duron in that MB, it's a good deal and a good long term choice for them.

February 20, 2002 4:33:06 PM

"I'll be building a rig for my fiance's parents..."

well, if you want to be on their good side do them the favor and get the P4, they don't need the hassels of the AMD platform.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
February 20, 2002 4:49:41 PM

Whatever you do, don't over do it. You really shouldn't get the AXP or the P4. They'll never take advantage of it. Buy a Duron. That's my opinion from personal experience. The Duron will take care of a cable connection, and along with that just buy a really nice monitor and they'll be in heaven.

Make it as simple as possible. Don't overclock, buy everything integrated if you can. Make sure it's solid before giving it to them. Don't give them any excusses to call you up or get you to travel those 6 hours.

Add DVD and a CDRW (make sure the video can handle the DVD), and they'll think you made a top of the line computer even if it's only a Duron 800 in it. Unless they're going to be storing videos and music, don't even bother with a HD larger than 20 GB either.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
February 20, 2002 8:59:47 PM

Hey that was a joke! Forgot the [joke]...[/joke] :wink:

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>
February 20, 2002 10:50:51 PM

I like Dhlucke's suggestion except a 40 GB HD is only about $13 more than a 20 GB unit. It's $13 well spent. A Duron 1100 will save you some bucks over a XP 1700+, maybe $50. It wouldn't be a bad idea of using it toward 512 MB (2x256) of memory instead 256 MB (2x128). I think 512 MB is a better choice with Windows XP. Besides, more memory is always a good hedge for the future.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>
February 21, 2002 2:45:43 AM

I would think a Duron 950 or so, 256 of 133 or DDR would be plenty for them...and to be honest it would be plenty for most of the people reading this. Come on...do we really NEED 1+GHz and 512 of DDR..I mean NEED it. I get into some heavy things at times but I could do it with the above machine...maybe not as fast though. ;o)
February 21, 2002 3:28:05 AM

He can choose whatever he wants. I just thought more memory and a Duron (any Duron) is a better choice than for a non-power user than an XP 1700+ and 256 MB of memory. (Don't forget. This is an nForce and video will use up to 64 MB of main memory).

I would choose a Morgan core Duron because it performs nearly as well, clock for clock, as an old Tbird. I just mentioned a Duron 1.1 because I am not sure if there are some Spitfire core Duron 1.0s. The Morgans run nice and cool too. You can get away with a really quiet fan on one of those.

Those are my reasons. The change to the Duron 1.1 and more memory only adds about $40 to the cost. A slower Duron would be cheaper, of course.

February 21, 2002 11:15:52 AM

Just to relate to your post......

the Morgan core Duron's started at 1.0GHz and the Spitfire core Duron's stopped at 950MHz.....therefore there are no Spitfire 1GHz chips (officially produced and released anywas) =)

So personally I'd stick with the retail 1GHz Duron....save you a few bucks compared to the 1.1GHz Duron.....and it'll give them a nice even number....LoL

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!
February 21, 2002 1:44:39 PM

I found the Duron 1000 to be a better price performance deal where I looked (63 for the 900 retail, 67 for the 1000 retail, 83 for the 1100 retail).

Also, they will likely be running 98, and given they won't be doing anything heavy, 128 should be fine, with an option to upgrade to more later.

The Nforce is integrated, and that's part of why I like it.

I could put in a DVD/CD-RW if they want a CD-RW. However, I think having a seperate burner and DVD play will let them get a very good burner and a DVD player, and for not much more than a combo drive.

February 21, 2002 3:53:52 PM

Thanks. That's good information. Saves another $10-$15.

February 21, 2002 4:34:26 PM

I hope you mean you're sticking with your plan of 2x128 MB. nForce runs like crap with just one DIMM and the video eats up to 64 MB of memory.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out. I, for one, am interested in real world nForce experiences. (I'm considering one, myself).

!