AMD: OC party is over: Redux

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
while reading the original post by mr melty about cut/uncut bridges i had a curious thought.

if the bridges are cut, what purpose do they serve anyway besides a means to unlock?

are they left in from the development process? or are required to be there so the multiplier can be set?

any ideas?

Overclocked athlon 1200C @ 8.5 x 166FSB + PC2700 = GOOD! :smile:

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
The bridges are cut to lock in the mutliplier setting.

AMD has already indicated that some perma-locked CPUs are probably a fluke - let's hope this is true. They have indicated that they will not be preventing enthusiast multiplier unlocking. They have made it significantly more difficult though.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
They are all unlocked so that testing can be performed on them, once a chipspeed is determined they are locked.

Thats my guess anyway.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
so where is the multiplier "stored"?
cant be on the bridges cauz ALL of them are burnt out... i thought the easiest way to do things was to burn out specific bridges so it does a certain multiplier... but apparently not.

Overclocked athlon 1200C @ 8.5 x 166FSB + PC2700 = GOOD! :smile:

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
The actual Multiplier is recognized by i believe the L5 and L6 bridges (look up the first AMD Athlon T-Bird article Tom wrote about OC'ing it) anyways, thats where the motherboard picks up the ACTUAL Multiplier, what you tell it later is different =) And yes, this can also be manually manipulated by closing/opening those bridges.....

What I'd love to know is how in the first place people knew to pencil in the L1 bridges to change the Multiplier....like, someone out of curiosity one day decided to just fill in the bridges and see what happens ???

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!