Sign in with
Your question

Athlon system (needs info and feedback)

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 20, 2002 2:45:07 AM

Hi,
First post :) 
I'm thinking of building a new system (again).. here's what I was thinking of doing:
Athlon xp 1800
512 DDR pc2700 ram
Nomad case w/461w powersupply (www.colorcases.com)
Keyboard
Interior modded cables (the 'wrapped' IDE cables)
Seagate 80 gb barracuda 7200 rpm HD
MSI K7T266 pro 2 (6380) (without int. audio if possible)M.B
Geforce 4 TI4400 agp card
Sound blaster Live/Audigy

Now a few questions:
1. With that mobo and the ram.. pc2700 is compatable with that mobo?
2. Anyone have many problems with the athlon xp overheating or lockups frequently?
3. I currently have a P4 1.3, intel I1845 mobo, 128 mb Rambus, geforce 2 Ultra (64 mb DDR), will the above system "blow away" this current one?

4.If you were me ( I play a lot of games, naturally, work on 3d Max/Maya/Softimage, do photoshop work, and work on 3d levels via Unrealed and the such), would you just upgrade the p4? with more rambus, new mobo? or just build a new system (the one above)?

5. Any advice or anything you'd change with that configuration?
6. without recommending watercooling, what are some good fans/cooling solutions that you'd recommend?
7. Or should I just forget this silly idea, and buy the case (has better ventilation than my currrent one), more samsung RD, and O/C my p4. 1.3?? and buy the vid card later?

If I go ahead with this, it'll be my 5th pc that I would build for myself... so I want to build something that'll last a little while for my games/3d stuff.. where it can be upgraded (the Mother board can go to 3 gb ddr ram).

Well, that's it.. Thanks for all the response (ahead of time)...
-JaeR
February 20, 2002 3:12:41 AM

Will you be overclocking?

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
February 20, 2002 3:47:05 AM

1) yes
2) yeah, i think you'll be fine...support page doesn't say specificly but here you go: <A HREF="http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/K7T266_P..." target="_new">LINKIE</A>
3) "blowing" something away is rather subjective and depends on personal opinion. i think if you slaped some more ram and a new video card into your current system you'd do just about as good and save some cash too.
4)^^
5) This is my own oppinon and not necissarily based on any test or logic even: double your ram and throw another 80 gig hd in there too.
6)if you're not overclocking stock hsf will do nicely.

no vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end, when we all disintegrate, it'll all happen again.
Related resources
February 20, 2002 6:39:02 AM

well, as for overclocking, if I were to stay with the P4, I probably with O/C it a bit... add more ram (512 samsung pc-800 ECC rambus, new vid card, and new HD, probably a new case anyways as well.)
for the athlon.. well not sure, but I may have someone to buy my current system, if they are interested I may go the athlon route..
February 20, 2002 2:19:59 PM

If you are willing to overclock, do the upgrade and go to a northwood chip (1.6A, 1.8A, 2.0A, 2.2A) and a suitable motherboard. Waiting for the t-bread to come out before you buy might make you some great deals.

This is a non-smoking forum.
If your computer is smoking, please extinguish it immediately.
February 20, 2002 3:04:00 PM

well, if I do that (which I know is what I'd have to do to O/C this) i'd be probably spending more after it's said and done, since a new chip, mobo, more ram, vid card and probably more fans (new ones)would pretty much be buying an all new pc.... correct?
Like I said I have a p4 1.3... is overclocking this current pc not a good idea?
!