MN-500 how to get firmware to reinstall

I have been having the problem were every two weeks my router will crash and
I need to unplug it and replug it in so it will log back into my ISP.

Microsoft has given up on it their only answer is to keep on resetting it.
They have told me if that does not work then I have to buy a new one.

What I am wondering how can I find the firmware to reinstall it or even go
back a generation on the firmware to see if that works. I have the download
software but if states it is up to date and will not allow me to download
the software again.

Thanks for any help.
6
answers
Last reply
More about firmware reinstall

    You'll find the firmware download here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_DLoadMain.mspx But
    if this is happening every two weeks, perhaps you're on a DHCP feed from
    your Internet Service Provider, and it is their system which is causing the
    problem? Is your IP address dynamic or DHCP? If so, then you probably need
    to reset the router, and not the base station, because it isn't picking up
    the new information from the ISP.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    "Neal" <jarrettracing@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >I have been having the problem were every two weeks my router will crash
    >and I need to unplug it and replug it in so it will log back into my ISP.
    >
    > Microsoft has given up on it their only answer is to keep on resetting it.
    > They have told me if that does not work then I have to buy a new one.
    >
    > What I am wondering how can I find the firmware to reinstall it or even go
    > back a generation on the firmware to see if that works. I have the
    > download software but if states it is up to date and will not allow me to
    > download the software again.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    It is how ever long I put the router down to refresh. I have it at 2 weeks
    just so it last the longest for me.

    Thanks for the link I am going to try a hard reset and then do a install and
    see if that help.

    "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You'll find the firmware download here:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_DLoadMain.mspx
    > But if this is happening every two weeks, perhaps you're on a DHCP feed
    > from your Internet Service Provider, and it is their system which is
    > causing the problem? Is your IP address dynamic or DHCP? If so, then you
    > probably need to reset the router, and not the base station, because it
    > isn't picking up the new information from the ISP.
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "Neal" <jarrettracing@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>I have been having the problem were every two weeks my router will crash
    >>and I need to unplug it and replug it in so it will log back into my ISP.
    >>
    >> Microsoft has given up on it their only answer is to keep on resetting
    >> it. They have told me if that does not work then I have to buy a new one.
    >>
    >> What I am wondering how can I find the firmware to reinstall it or even
    >> download software but if states it is up to date and will not allow me to
    >> download the software again.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.

    Neal, the point I'm trying to make is perhaps the ISP is causing the issue,
    not the router on your side of the modem. The DHCP feed setting on your
    base station only feeds those computers on your LAN.

    If you are losing Internet access, but continue to have LAN connectivity
    among your computers, then it is on the "other side" of the base station,
    i.e., the modem furnished by your ISP, and not on your side. In that case,
    changing the firmware and messing with your base station settings won't fix
    the issue.

    I would suggest, if you have a DHCP feed from your ISP or a dynamic
    (changing IP address) feed instead of a fixed IP address, contact the ISP
    and tell them. They may have a firmware update to the modem which they need
    to send from their side to their modem.

    As to the download, you're probably missing, under "Download Manually,"
    MSBNDownload.exe (13 MB).
    --

    > It is how ever long I put the router down to refresh. I have it at 2 weeks
    > just so it last the longest for me.
    >
    > Thanks for the link I am going to try a hard reset and then do a install
    > and see if that help.
    >

    > "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> You'll find the firmware download here:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_DLoadMain.mspx
    >> But if this is happening every two weeks, perhaps you're on a DHCP feed
    >> from your Internet Service Provider, and it is their system which is
    >> causing the problem? Is your IP address dynamic or DHCP? If so, then
    >> you probably need to reset the router, and not the base station, because
    >> it isn't picking up the new information from the ISP.
    >> --
    >> Chris H.
    >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    >> Associate Expert
    >>

    >> "Neal" <jarrettracing@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>>I have been having the problem were every two weeks my router will crash
    >>>and I need to unplug it and replug it in so it will log back into my ISP.
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft has given up on it their only answer is to keep on resetting
    >>> it. They have told me if that does not work then I have to buy a new
    >>> one.
    >>>
    >>> What I am wondering how can I find the firmware to reinstall it or even
    >>> download software but if states it is up to date and will not allow me
    >>> to download the software again.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help.

    What am I missing with that download page? I downloaded the software again
    and it states everything is up to date and will not let me redownload the
    current software to try and reload it.

    Thanks,

    "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You'll find the firmware download here:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_DLoadMain.mspx
    > But if this is happening every two weeks, perhaps you're on a DHCP feed
    > from your Internet Service Provider, and it is their system which is
    > causing the problem? Is your IP address dynamic or DHCP? If so, then you
    > probably need to reset the router, and not the base station, because it
    > isn't picking up the new information from the ISP.
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "Neal" <jarrettracing@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>I have been having the problem were every two weeks my router will crash
    >>and I need to unplug it and replug it in so it will log back into my ISP.
    >>
    >> Microsoft has given up on it their only answer is to keep on resetting
    >> it. They have told me if that does not work then I have to buy a new one.
    >>
    >> What I am wondering how can I find the firmware to reinstall it or even
    >> download software but if states it is up to date and will not allow me to
    >> download the software again.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.

    Thanks,

    I only have my one PC and loptop with sharing so next time it goes down I
    will see if that still works or not. Thanks for that idea when I did the
    e-mail the MS they never told me to try and check that to see if it was the
    routher or ISP causing it by checking that.

    I did download the 13mb file. When I go through the promps it states my
    router is up to date and when I hit next it puts me so a screen that the
    only only option that I have is finish and it closes the program.

    Thanks for your help.

    > Neal, the point I'm trying to make is perhaps the ISP is causing the
    > issue, not the router on your side of the modem. The DHCP feed setting on
    > your base station only feeds those computers on your LAN.
    >
    > If you are losing Internet access, but continue to have LAN connectivity
    > among your computers, then it is on the "other side" of the base station,
    > i.e., the modem furnished by your ISP, and not on your side. In that
    > case, changing the firmware and messing with your base station settings
    > won't fix the issue.
    >
    > I would suggest, if you have a DHCP feed from your ISP or a dynamic
    > (changing IP address) feed instead of a fixed IP address, contact the ISP
    > and tell them. They may have a firmware update to the modem which they
    > need to send from their side to their modem.
    >
    > As to the download, you're probably missing, under "Download Manually,"
    > MSBNDownload.exe (13 MB).
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "Neal" <jarrettracing@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> It is how ever long I put the router down to refresh. I have it at 2
    >> weeks just so it last the longest for me.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the link I am going to try a hard reset and then do a install
    >> and see if that help.
    >>

    >> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> You'll find the firmware download here:
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_DLoadMain.mspx
    >>> But if this is happening every two weeks, perhaps you're on a DHCP feed
    >>> from your Internet Service Provider, and it is their system which is
    >>> causing the problem? Is your IP address dynamic or DHCP? If so, then
    >>> you probably need to reset the router, and not the base station, because
    >>> it isn't picking up the new information from the ISP.
    >>> --
    >>> Chris H.
    >>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    >>> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
    >>> Associate Expert
    >>> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>>

    >>> "Neal" <jarrettracing@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    Then you are current on the firmware, and it won't "update" it again. 8-)
    Next time you have the issue, see if you've still got the LAN on your side.
    If so, try removing the power from the modem only for a couple minutes and
    then plug it back in.
    --

    > Thanks,
    >
    > I only have my one PC and loptop with sharing so next time it goes down I
    > will see if that still works or not. Thanks for that idea when I did the
    > e-mail the MS they never told me to try and check that to see if it was
    > the routher or ISP causing it by checking that.
    >
    > I did download the 13mb file. When I go through the promps it states my
    > router is up to date and when I hit next it puts me so a screen that the
    > only only option that I have is finish and it closes the program.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Neal, the point I'm trying to make is perhaps the ISP is causing the
    >> issue, not the router on your side of the modem. The DHCP feed setting
    >> on your base station only feeds those computers on your LAN.
    >>
    >> If you are losing Internet access, but continue to have LAN connectivity
    >> among your computers, then it is on the "other side" of the base station,
    >> i.e., the modem furnished by your ISP, and not on your side. In that
    >> case, changing the firmware and messing with your base station settings
    >> won't fix the issue.
    >>
    >> I would suggest, if you have a DHCP feed from your ISP or a dynamic
    >> (changing IP address) feed instead of a fixed IP address, contact the ISP
    >> and tell them. They may have a firmware update to the modem which they
    >> need to send from their side to their modem.
    >>
    >> As to the download, you're probably missing, under "Download Manually,"
    >> MSBNDownload.exe (13 MB).
    >> --
    >> Chris H.
    >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    >> Associate Expert
    >>

    >> "Neal" <jarrettracing@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>> It is how ever long I put the router down to refresh. I have it at 2
    >>> weeks just so it last the longest for me.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for the link I am going to try a hard reset and then do a install
    >>> and see if that help.
    >>>

    >>> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Routers Internet Service Providers Firmware Microsoft Networking