What is better a wireless router or a wired router router

You don't want a router. Especially not wireless.
Hard wire the modem straight to one computer only.
Sharing a connection (with a router) will goof up any streaming video quality.
ONE connection for ONE computer, to stream movies, or the video will be sub standard.

rwjos

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

I appreciate your response but how do I then view my movies on my TV? Thanks.

eldridgep

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
With all due respect to the previous poster that's nuts. You need to upgrade your router mate if that is the only way you can stream movies.

IMHO wired is always preferable to wireless it's faster, has less latency and suffers no interference.

If you are streaming wireless make sure you get an 'n' class router with multiple antenna for MIMO and investigate wireless networks around you and try and keep yours on separate channels if possible. There is a relativley new technology called beamforming that is being built into some routers and looks interesting for this kind of application. However 300Mbps, n class and multiple antenna is a must.

There is an alternative to direct wiring and wireless and that is the powerline adapters like:

http://www.ebuyer.com/370669-tp-link-tl-pa411kit-av500-mini-powerline-adapter-stater-kit-tl-pa411kit?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products&gclid=CPDB1p2AxbUCFW_HtAoduFkALQ

They are not as fast as a direct cable by any means, may not even be as fast as wireless but if you have dropouts on wireless these things are pretty decent. Not got the 500Mbps ones but I've got the 200Mbps one and they provide a steady connection just nowhere near the advertised speeds. More than sufficient for the usual HD video stream though.

TRENDING THREADS