scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
i think its time to stop puting ps2, serial, and floppy connections on mobos. do you people still use them? i haven't used my serial and floppy for over a year now.

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/scamtron2000/Lochel.html" target="_new"> <font color=red>click here</font color=red> </A>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
I use the floppy for formatting HDD's and a rescue disk for my AV SW and I use the ps2 ports for my mouse and keyboards still .. really don't want to waste a usb on either

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
floppies? yes i use it. emergency boot disks, rare occasion i need ot boot to win98 (has win2k), flash disks, memtest86 program, IBM drive testing program.

parallel port? yes. printer
serial? no
ps2? yes, keyboard only, mouse is usb

Overclocked athlon 1200C @ 8.5 x 166FSB + PC2700 = GOOD! :smile:

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
mouse and keyboard can be usb as you know and they can put every thing on cd. what do you say?

i'm thinking cheaper to manufacture and room for more usb.

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/scamtron2000/Lochel.html" target="_new"> <font color=red>click here</font color=red> </A>

Kidane

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
Not really cheaper to manufacture - we're talking pennies here. I use my floppy drive often, as well as a serial port (for my graphing calculator). And both my mouse and keyboard are PS2. Actually, my mouse is USB, but for some reason the middle button doesn't work when it's connected to USB. Odd. In any case, while one may not use these "legacy" items much, they are useful in an emergency. Consider it cheap insurance.

Kidane

Det finns inget dåligt väder - bara dåliga kläder

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
ok. i like cheap insurance. i just haven't benefited from it for a LLLLOOOOOOOONG time now.

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/scamtron2000/Lochel.html" target="_new"> <font color=red>go to my site</font color=red> </A>

priit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't want to use anything USB cause IMO it sucks. I don't like laggy USB mouse and serial can be used for UPS.

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
ok so there are still people that use the stuff. ok.

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/scamtron2000/Lochel.html" target="_new"> <font color=red>go to my site</font color=red> </A>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I don't want to use anything USB cause IMO it sucks. I don't like laggy USB mouse and serial can be used for UPS.
Laggy? Is that a word? I assuming you mean that a USB mouse lags? I can tell you that for the most part, that is exactly the opposite from the truth. I generally find my USB Microsoft TrackBall Optical to be more responsive to fast movement on the USB bus than PS/2. I don't use PS/2, and I haven't used a floppy in a very very long time, I always boot from Zip or CD. I do however still use a serial port for my Palm 105's Hotsync Cradle.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
yop. and you can also get the usb cradle for the palm. i'm 100% sure you know this, but i'm just making a point. i'm sure if serial was no longer made 3com would have made a usb cradle for all their palms.

G

I still use floppy sometimes
I use my serial port for palm
I use the pal port for printer
still use PS2 port for KB, don't like to use USB KB

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
yo man i nevva said nothin' about pal man. parallel port can stay. i use it too.

but its not a pal or ntsc thing here you see.

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
LOL amma gangsta. yo waddup man? i'mma G. yeah i'm the G.

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Still need floppies when it comes time to wipe out an existing operating system. Want to see you do that without one.

I still use my serial port for my labelwriter printer. Plus, you need them for LCD displays (not the monitor ones).

I have a USB M$ Explorer, but I use the PS/2 adapter since I here it doesn't use as much CPU resources.

Intel = Ford
AMD = Chevy
Friends don't let friends drive Fords

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
now what is this thing about serial for lcd?? i'll just wait for you to explain before i make a comment. i can wipe out the HDD without a floppy with no problem. you'll have to explain here too. i simply don't see why you wouldn't be able to do so!

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Removing PS2 and Serials will cause several problems. First, there are several devices that use them that are still popular and in use (Palms, lable printers, keyboards and mice...) that would be unusable or at the very least need an adapter. Also, the price of these legacy parts would start to rise as production would dwindle. Meanwhile, the lack of those features would likely hinder the selling of these newer products. So, consumers lose out on both ends, and so do manufacturers.

The floppy is still usefull as a boot device for some things. There are other ways to get around them now (Bootable CDs, Zip drives, ect), but the cost is much higher. And there is no more universal R/W portable memory unit you can be sure that anyone will have than a floppy drive.

This is a non-smoking forum.
If your computer is smoking, please extinguish it immediately.

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
now what is this thing about serial for lcd?? i'll just wait for you to explain before i make a comment.
What I meant are LCD panels that are used for displaying MP3 info, graphics, system information, whatever you like. You can find examples <A HREF="http://www.matrixorbital.com" target="_new">here at Matrix Orbital </A>.

As for the wiping out of a system, sure, if you boot from a CD-ROM, you can run a setup program to overwrite the existing one. I still find it easier, especially on my test boxes, to just use a Win9x boot disk and to fdisk and delete the partition. I guess you can do that on NT/2000/XP by deleting the existing partitions during setup, but the floppy is easier. Plus, if you ever tried to reinstall Windows on a hard drive that had Linux, you need to FDisk the master boot record. You can't do that with the setup CD.

Intel = Ford
AMD = Chevy

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
yes yes i know, but if they stop making them, other companies will go a diffferent rout as well. they got to stop some time.

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
I say get rid of all this legacy stuff - it's about time!

Floppy drives
serial ports
parallel ports
ps2 ports

If the mobo and PC manus would put USB 2.0 and IEEE1394 (Firewire/iLink) on all motherboards and provide plenty of them (8x USB + 2x 1394 on the back and 2 each on the front) it would lower the manufacturing costs for PCs and all of the peripherals. Yeah you may have some legacy devices that you still use, but an adapter isn't all that expensive if you're replacing an entire PC or motherboard/proc, etc.

Using floppies for emergency recovery is passé. I've been doing this with CD's and CD-RW's for over a year. The basic drivers just have to be installed - i.e. Win98 boot CD. A ubiquitous CD-RW write format included in the boot process would do wonders. Microsoft (and appropriate others) just need to add a "format/make boot CD" option just like with floppies.

The moment these ports start disappearing, the industry will stop making stuff for them. Most keyboards and mice are now USB with a PS2 adapter included in the box. Most new printers have USB ports. Any new serial device that isn't USB doesn't deserve a place in the market. High bandwidth devices should either be USB 2 or 1394 (or both would be better) - web/digital cams, scanners, external drives, etc.

If you don't believe that the industry can adapt that fast, I dare you to find a brand new ISA, EISA, MCA or VESALB card at your local PC shop or large on-line reseller. The second motherboards stopped carrying the slots, the peripherals disappeared. Yes, you may be able to scrounge one up somewhere (an auction site or in your old PC), but the Fry's Electronics (arguably one of if not the largest electronics stores in the US - think costco with just electronics gear) near my house doesn't even stock them. I recently asked an employee (16 yr old compu geek) if they had any ISA modems and he actually thought I was talking about DSL or Cable or something. He seemed pretty knowledgable about drives, mobos & memory, but it blew me away. How many of you teenagers out there have even seen an 8 track or Beta VCR?

It is time to get rid of the stuff that has no purpose.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Were you part of the committee that helped Comcrap, uh, I mean Compaq with their iPaq project?

They tried going legacy free, and guess what, they didn't sell!!!. Corporations still have needs for legacy ports. The iPaq with the legacy ports outsold the legacy-free ones. I know of several corporations, including at least 2 major national insurance companies, that still use NT 4.0 workstation.

As for ISA slots, it is still possible to buy new Pentium 4 and Athlon boards with ISA slots. As to why, I don't know. I do have one system at home that uses an old ISA modem (which you can still pick up at Best Buy, no Fry's on the East Coast :frown: ).

Intel = Ford
AMD = Chevy

priit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Laggy? Is that a word? I assuming you mean that a USB mouse lags? I can tell you that for the most part, that is exactly the opposite from the truth. I generally find my USB Microsoft TrackBall Optical to be more responsive to fast movement on the USB bus than PS/2. I don't use PS/2, and I haven't used a floppy in a very very long time, I always boot from Zip or CD. I do however still use a serial port for my Palm 105's Hotsync Cradle
Sorry, english isn't my native language :frown: . I have Logitech mouse that can be used either in USB or PS/2 (with adaptor). I tried it on USB but it didn't moved half that smooth in there than on PS/2. I don't want to waste my processor cycles for keeping USB alive either. And PS/2 has higher maximal refresh rate than USB, too.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
What chipset supports ISA slots for the Athlon?

To my knowledge, ISA was phazed out of use in personal computers about 4-5 years after the PCI slot came out. It takes a while to go full steam into removal.

This is a non-smoking forum.
If your computer is smoking, please extinguish it immediately.