Magic jar: killing the original body?

What happens if the caster's original body sustains damage while the
caster's life force is in the magic jar or a host? The body is "as near
as anyone can tell, dead" but it should certainly be possible to chop
off it's head, disintegrate it, burn it...

Is it possible to heal a damaged or "killed" body using cure spells
before the caster returns into it?

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 14:11:56 +0200, Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr> scribed
into the ether:

>What happens if the caster's original body sustains damage while the
>caster's life force is in the magic jar or a host? The body is "as near
>as anyone can tell, dead" but it should certainly be possible to chop
>off it's head, disintegrate it, burn it...
>
>Is it possible to heal a damaged or "killed" body using cure spells
>before the caster returns into it?

Appears dead, but isn't actually dead. No reason it wouldn't be a valid
target for healing magic.

Now, if the body were beheaded, I'm not sure how well Raise Dead would
work, since the soul is otherwise occupied.

Jasin Zujovic wrote:

> What happens if the caster's original body sustains damage while the
> caster's life force is in the magic jar or a host? The body is "as near
> as anyone can tell, dead" but it should certainly be possible to chop
> off it's head, disintegrate it, burn it...
>
> Is it possible to heal a damaged or "killed" body using cure spells
> before the caster returns into it?

Per the spell, bodies retain their hit points. Thus,
you should certainly be able to heal a damaged body
before returning to it. A *dead* body would be
effectively "destroyed," however, so you would die if
you tried to return to it. (You could then, of course,
be raised or resurrected as normal.)

-Bluto

matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com wrote:
>On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 14:11:56 +0200, Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr> scribed
>into the ether:

>>What happens if the caster's original body sustains damage while the
>>caster's life force is in the magic jar or a host? The body is "as near
>>as anyone can tell, dead" but it should certainly be possible to chop
>>off it's head, disintegrate it, burn it...
>>
>>Is it possible to heal a damaged or "killed" body using cure spells
>>before the caster returns into it?
>
>Appears dead, but isn't actually dead. No reason it wouldn't be a valid
>target for healing magic.

Doesn't the attacker get bonuses of some sort, like an automatic "coup
d'etat" check?

>Now, if the body were beheaded, I'm not sure how well Raise Dead would
>work, since the soul is otherwise occupied.

Doesn't the new version state what happens to the soul when its body is
slain, regardless of where it is at the time? I distinctly recall them
changing the rules because it screwed up an NPC whose entire backstory
was based on him being trapped in a ranger's body when the party killed
the evil wizard.

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.

Ubiquitous wrote:
> matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com wrote:
> >On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 14:11:56 +0200, Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr> scribed
> >into the ether:
>
> >>What happens if the caster's original body sustains damage while the
> >>caster's life force is in the magic jar or a host? The body is "as near
> >>as anyone can tell, dead" but it should certainly be possible to chop
> >>off it's head, disintegrate it, burn it...
> >>
> >>Is it possible to heal a damaged or "killed" body using cure spells
> >>before the caster returns into it?
> >
> >Appears dead, but isn't actually dead. No reason it wouldn't be a valid
> >target for healing magic.
>
> Doesn't the attacker get bonuses of some sort, like an automatic "coup
> d'etat" check?
>
> >Now, if the body were beheaded, I'm not sure how well Raise Dead would
> >work, since the soul is otherwise occupied.
>
> Doesn't the new version state what happens to the soul when its body is
> slain, regardless of where it is at the time? I distinctly recall them
> changing the rules because it screwed up an NPC whose entire backstory
> was based on him being trapped in a ranger's body when the party killed
> the evil wizard.

SRD:"If the spell ends while you are in the magic jar, you return to
your body (or die if your body is out of range or destroyed). "

Sounds like you don't die until you try to return to your destroyed
body. That does leave the question of what happens when you attempt to
heal the spellcaster's body after it's been beheaded, burned up,
disintigrated, etc. since it isn't technically dead yet.

Or what happens if you cast magic jar agin before the first one has run
out... might be an interesting way to stay alive. Have to be high
enough level to memorize enough to keep you going for 24 hours, then
have to keep body hopping.

- Justisaur