Sign in with
Your question

Firefox Addon Adblocker side effects

Last response: in Windows 7
February 20, 2013 8:57:19 AM

I used Chrome regularly with ad blockers working fine. I decided to come back to Firefox after years of discontinued used and installed v19. Added an ad blocker from add-on search which would work when it wanted (especially on Youtube) and the issue/s are now affecting my viewing on imdb.com.

Using the search feature on that site, I'll click on the result from the drop down and it would normally lead me to the movie's title page. Now, I get
/?ref_=sr_1 at the end of anything I click on only on that site. Which leads me to a blank/not loaded page.

I went to add Imdb to the addon exceptions list. Then, disable/remove the addon. Would still have the same issue. I tried to use Imdb back on Chrome. IT DID THE SAME THING! I uninstalled Firefox. Ran CCleaner to clean up the registry/temp files folders. I tried using Imdb on Chrome again and again I am being lead to a blank page. I uninstalled Chrome, ran Malware Bytes (came up clean), ran Eset (No virus). I disconnected from my LAN and connected to a nearby wifi network thinking there were issues on my Router/Modems end and I still have the same problem. I reinstalled Firefox and Chrome both without ad blockers and I can not use the search on Imdb or click on a movie link without being directed to a blank page.

I have another computer also with Windows 7 that I connected to both the same LAN and the wifi network I tried and I can use Imdb fine. I decided NOT to try to add any ad blocker add-ons on Firefox v19 fearing it would do the same on that machine. I even tried a virtual machine to browse inside of it and it still lead me to the frustrating blank page.

I can't understand for the life of me how an ad blocker addon can effect my browsers across the board after being disabled and having the browser uninstalled. It should have never even of had tinkered with my Chrome browsing! Now, I simply can't use Imdb properly. I am now using both Chrome with Ad Blocker plus and Firefox stock without any add-ons and have the same issues on this machine.

Any suggestions? Anyone ever have this issue as well? It only started and stayed after installing Firefox adblocking add-ons.
a b $ Windows 7
February 20, 2013 9:18:25 AM

i use firefox with adblock, imdb search works fine for me
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 20, 2013 9:22:14 AM

what filter list are you using.the default is easylist.
m
l
Related resources
February 20, 2013 11:57:41 AM

I tried several filter lists. Default, and others. No difference. The Addons I tried were Ads no more, Ad killer, PageTweak, and Updated Ad Blocker for Firefox 11+. In each, I would include exceptions where needed. I almost always had issues with the addons blocking ads to begin with from the initial installation of Firefox. They would just not work properly. Youtube ads would sometimes sneak trough which is why I tried at least four blockers. I never had any issues with Chrome and Ad Blocker Plus. It worked flawlessly. Now, even after a uninstalling ALL browsers, cleaning the system registry, temp folders, and manually going into folders to looks for traces, something has been left behind causing issues with only Imdb. It is very frustrating not being able to solve something seemingly benign.

I'm seriously considering reinstalling Win7 because I use Imdb so much. I just thought I'd seek the bigger minds before. I want to continue using Firefox. I want a decent Ad Blocker to work for it. It should not be this challenging ...

http://postimage.org/image/5yi4x9f49/

http://postimage.org/image/e4380t7kv/

http://postimage.org/image/buevgdvdr/

This is what I get. Instead of the loaded page.

m
l
a b È Firefox
a c 233 $ Windows 7
February 20, 2013 1:13:15 PM

Try resetting firefox. If you reinstalled without deleting your profile first, you'll just run into the same issues.

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easil...

You can aslo try starting firefox in safe mode: menu -> help -> start with addons disabled
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 20, 2013 2:21:11 PM

FF + adblock + easylist, never had an issue, even viewing IMDB.
m
l
February 20, 2013 2:56:00 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Try resetting firefox. If you reinstalled without deleting your profile first, you'll just run into the same issues.

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easil...

You can aslo try starting firefox in safe mode: menu -> help -> start with addons disabled

I'm sorry I left out, I did try the reset function on FF. Went in and deleted all files. Tried safemode as well. Been searching in FF forums but nothing has come up regarding my issue. No change.

What really boggles my mind is the fact that it's also causing issues with Chrome.

I'm truly stumped. I really hate to reinstall to solve issues. Seems like the easy way out and I think I'd stab myself in the face if it started happening on a fresh install. :/ 
m
l
a b È Firefox
a c 233 $ Windows 7
February 20, 2013 5:09:43 PM

das_stig said:
FF + adblock + easylist, never had an issue, even viewing IMDB.

Same here. Never had problems.

Flip956 said:
I'm sorry I left out, I did try the reset function on FF. Went in and deleted all files. Tried safemode as well. Been searching in FF forums but nothing has come up regarding my issue. No change.

What really boggles my mind is the fact that it's also causing issues with Chrome.

I'm truly stumped. I really hate to reinstall to solve issues. Seems like the easy way out and I think I'd stab myself in the face if it started happening on a fresh install. :/ 

If it's effecting Chrome there must be something else going on. Have you tried doing a system restore to a time prior to this happening? Perhaps that will fix it.
m
l
February 21, 2013 7:26:19 AM

Hawkeye22 said:
Same here. Never had problems.

If it's effecting Chrome there must be something else going on. Have you tried doing a system restore to a time prior to this happening? Perhaps that will fix it.

No system restore points prior are available. Reinstall may be the only way.

I just want to exhaust all possibilities before I do that.

It seems repeatedly freshing via F5 will eventually get through to a fully loaded page.

I'm still open to suggestions.

m
l
February 21, 2013 1:09:35 PM

I posted this in my topic to but I just wanted to make sure that OP sees the fix, maybe you also have nod 32 and you can get it to work same like me.
Good luck. Cya cya.

"Ok guys I have found the problem out.
I tried with re-installed firefox and same result, then I tried with chrome and explorer same stuff.
The browser wasn't the problem (same for any add-on), the internet wasn't the problem.. it was general so it was the ANTI VIRUS the NOD 32 5.095.0

For any others out there the fix that worked for me is this:
- open nod32
- setup
- enter advance setup
- protocol filtering
- exclude ip addresses
- add ipv4 addresses
- in my case for IMDB.com it was: 207.171.162.180
- restart pc"
m
l
February 21, 2013 1:44:30 PM

I ended up finding a restore point. Same day as fresh install.

No issues with Chrome. Not installing FireFox.

I have not reinstalled NOD32 as of yet but I will keep this in mind, GiGi. Tyvm.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

These issues should now be SOLVED.

:D 

m
l
February 21, 2013 3:24:37 PM

Ok dam it it's not 100 fixed.. sometimes it works good and other times it's blank page again.. don't know why but it worked good for hours then again it happened and it seems different sites that look for the IP are telling me different IP's for IMDB.

The only clear way is to disable the "enable application protocol content filtering" but that will leave me unprotected.
m
l
a b È Firefox
a c 233 $ Windows 7
February 21, 2013 4:55:41 PM

Most sites that get heavy traffic will have multiple IP addresses to load balance the traffic. You need to filter on the URL if possible, like *.imdb.com/*
m
l
!