Interesting thought

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Now, many recent motherboards of all chipset varieties include a heatsink and even a fan. Now, if one assumes that the reason for this is the memory controller, would it be safe to say that board differences in overclocking might be a thing of the past, and it would be mostly dependent on the CPU? With the memory controller on board the Hammer, it will be cooled by a much more powerful HSF, or even water cooling. Would that mean the FSB could be increased to much higher levels than currently possible with either the P4 or XP boards?

Just a thought...

-SammyBoy

FatBurger

Illustrious
Interesting thought, but it seems like usually overclocking is limited by the processor or RAM.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Quite true, but I have heard of many cases where a big reason for a celing being reached in FSB overclocking is that the northbridge is overheating (which I believe is one of the reasons many OCing sites mention removing the HS from the bridge and replacing the thermal pad with high quality thermal epoxy). Granted, I could be wrong. Any hardcore OC'ers out there with thoughts?

-SammyBoy

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
Yeah, if you get lucky with your proc (and some extreme cooling) and awesome RAM it can sometimes be clocked higher than the chipset is capable of. The chipset manus are getting better at planning ahead, though. Most of the new chipsets are rated for extreme overclocking.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.