First time Dell User - what a nightmare - Don't do it

Jeez - what have I done

I'm only a 'small business' but I ordered an Inspiron 5160 on-line
from Dell Spain (I needed the onsite-support in Tenerife). What a
nightmare, when the box finally arrived, there was no AC Adaptor. Rang
Dell - 'New one on its way to you, should be there within 2 days.

Liars, been on to them every other day for over a week, always the
same message 'on its way'. Today I checked with DHL, they have
absolutely no package in transit anywhere in there system destined for
me

I have spent a fortune in phone calls, to Ireland, Uk, Madrid - now I
understand what all the fuss is about with ths 'outsourcing' support
and 'Customer Care' (what a joke).

They have my money, I have part of their product, 'plus' a 'Customer
Care' system designed and operated by idiots, for idiots - as I now
class myself as a total idiot for buying on the principle that the
'sum total' of all the usenet complaints seemed a little less for Dell
than most of the others.

So this 'billionaires success story', like Gates, is founded on the
relative ease with which money can be made out of selling marginal
products to consumers with virtually no meaningful legal risks.

Oh well, we Brits can be pretty resilient, but I have to laugh at the
very concept of my plight, trying to get my little Adaptor sent by
the Irish, via the Spanish to me, all co-ordinated from an office in
India, with the various traits of all of our nationalities hanging ot
everywhere - still nobody can even tell me if its being dealt with.

The Spanish can't tell me much because they ordered it to be sent by
the Irish. The Irish can't tell me anything because I ordered it in
Spain, and they both just keep re-directing me to India, who cannot do
anything because the Order Number is invalid (you know, the one that
appears very clearly on the top of every bit of paper from the order
to the packing slip).

They certainly recognize money, and never have a single problem with
the validity of your credit card number.

Come on Dell, you are taking the piss - and you certainly won't get
another order from me. Now I must roll-back the credit card
transaction to see if that produces any meaningful response.
7 answers Last reply
More about first time dell user nightmare

    "Kenny Ashton" wrote:
    > Jeez - what have I done

    You've ordered something made in Ireland for
    an American company which has to be delivered
    overseas through Spain to a town in the Canary
    Islands which are off the west coast of Africa,
    that's what.

    *TimDaniels*

    What has all that got to do with the AC power adapter not being shipped with
    the original shipment, other than an attempt to make excuses for someone's
    negligence and incompetence?

    "Irene" <GirlsRule@hotmail.com> ruled and top-posted:
    > What has all that got to do with the AC power adapter
    > not being shipped with the original shipment, other than
    > an attempt to make excuses for someone's
    > negligence and incompetence?
    >

    > "Timothy Daniels" wrote:
    >> "Kenny Ashton" wrote:
    >> > Jeez - what have I done
    >>

    >> You've ordered something made in Ireland for
    >> an American company which has to be delivered
    >> overseas through Spain to a town in the Canary
    >> Islands which are off the west coast of Africa,
    >> that's what.

    Take a clue from Napoleon Bonaparte who lost
    the Russian campaign due to long supply lines.

    *TimDaniels*

    Points taken guys - not that I knew Dell manufactured in Ireland (is
    that relevent - do we know where anything is actually 'made' any
    more?). What I wanted was maintenance, not a lot of options here, but
    I didn't expect just 'getting' the thing was going to be a problem.
    Thanks for your comments - got it off my chest.

    No, no, no. Not made in Ireland. Apparently Dell has a distribution center in
    Ireland to tranship computers made in Asia to European destinations. AFAIK, all
    of Dell's manufacturing (it's really assembly) is in Asia... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:40:27 -0700, "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com>
    wrote:

    >"Kenny Ashton" wrote:
    >> Jeez - what have I done
    >

    > You've ordered something made in Ireland for
    >an American company which has to be delivered
    >overseas through Spain to a town in the Canary
    >Islands which are off the west coast of Africa,
    >that's what.
    >
    >*TimDaniels*

    "Now I must roll-back the credit card transaction to see if that produces any
    meaningful response." Seems like a good course of action, unless the missing
    adapter has arrived by now. Usually something with financial impact DOES get
    attention, far more than either pleading or screaming phone calls. They simply
    screwed up your order. Does the packing slip show an AC Adapter? Do you have
    order status information printed out showing that you ORDERED the AC Adapter?
    If so, I suspect that the bank holding your credit card will back your claim of
    incomplete delivery, rendering the computer useless after the battery runs out
    (if it even arrived charged)... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:42:23 +0100, Kenny Ashton <ashtonCUTTHIS@ctv.es> wrote:

    >Jeez - what have I done
    >
    >I'm only a 'small business' but I ordered an Inspiron 5160 on-line
    >from Dell Spain (I needed the onsite-support in Tenerife). What a
    >nightmare, when the box finally arrived, there was no AC Adaptor. Rang
    >Dell - 'New one on its way to you, should be there within 2 days.
    >
    >Liars, been on to them every other day for over a week, always the
    >same message 'on its way'. Today I checked with DHL, they have
    >absolutely no package in transit anywhere in there system destined for
    >me
    >
    >I have spent a fortune in phone calls, to Ireland, Uk, Madrid - now I
    >understand what all the fuss is about with ths 'outsourcing' support
    >and 'Customer Care' (what a joke).
    >
    >They have my money, I have part of their product, 'plus' a 'Customer
    >Care' system designed and operated by idiots, for idiots - as I now
    >class myself as a total idiot for buying on the principle that the
    >'sum total' of all the usenet complaints seemed a little less for Dell
    >than most of the others.
    >
    >So this 'billionaires success story', like Gates, is founded on the
    >relative ease with which money can be made out of selling marginal
    >products to consumers with virtually no meaningful legal risks.
    >
    >Oh well, we Brits can be pretty resilient, but I have to laugh at the
    >very concept of my plight, trying to get my little Adaptor sent by
    >the Irish, via the Spanish to me, all co-ordinated from an office in
    >India, with the various traits of all of our nationalities hanging ot
    >everywhere - still nobody can even tell me if its being dealt with.
    >
    >The Spanish can't tell me much because they ordered it to be sent by
    >the Irish. The Irish can't tell me anything because I ordered it in
    >Spain, and they both just keep re-directing me to India, who cannot do
    >anything because the Order Number is invalid (you know, the one that
    >appears very clearly on the top of every bit of paper from the order
    >to the packing slip).
    >
    >They certainly recognize money, and never have a single problem with
    >the validity of your credit card number.
    >
    >Come on Dell, you are taking the piss - and you certainly won't get
    >another order from me. Now I must roll-back the credit card
    >transaction to see if that produces any meaningful response.

    Thanks Ben for clarifying where Ireland fits in the Dell. I spoke to
    them also, but all routes lead back to India.
    Yes - the only 'complete' thing I possess is documentation, the
    packing 'list' incuded everything, which it would as its just a
    pre-printed piece of paper slung in with the rest of the stuff by the
    packer.
    I now find I cannot rollback the card transaction, although the card
    bore the Visa symbol, it was a Debit Card.
    The battery state I cannot easily determined, doesn't come on if
    switched on and I don't have the adaptor to power is up form the line,
    so I didn't want to mess around too much without until I get the PSU.
    I'm a businessman and understand mistakes happening. It's what I am
    faced with after notifying Dell of the problem and their complete
    inability to rectify the error, or even indicate how and when they
    will rectify, that is driving me nuts.

Dell Computers